Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 08:16:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Customer Service
| | |-+  New Layout
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Layout  (Read 7300 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »

Is there any way to kill (a) the sidebar, and (b) the scrollable frame in a scrollable frame
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:02:08 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »

I assume you mean the site layout? I might be able to set the menus to be collapsable, but the admin stuff needs to be in there somewhere. As for the scrollbar - if I blow it out, it screws up your view when you return to the forum. This is still under development, so hopefully at some point we can get it to go way. The scrollbar is set to auto, though, so it does drop out once you get to page that's the right length.

Scarecrow
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »

i cant see half the site... well not half, but a good portion of the right hand side of all the posts i cannot see, and there is nothing for me to scroll across with....

i have no idea whats going on with that..
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:46:12 PM »

The sidebar at its current width is kinda recreating a problem the old site had of crowding the actual forum into a non-resizeable 800 odd pixels of screen space.

I'm not sure what you mean about the scroll bar though - surely you only need  a single scroll bar, because having 2 recreates the effect you ran into when creating posts on the old site, and makes reading posts a particularly irritating exercise.

I'll post images illustrating what I'm talking about when photobucket decides it's going to start working & load properly

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »

OK, this is potentially a different issue. Question: Are you guys using IE 6?

OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »

Exploder 7

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »

God no. Firefox 2.0

It kills me to say this, but I think the wiki on the old site was better than this new one. This new one handles spacing oddly (hitting Return generates two lines instead of one which both go away when you hot backspace or delete), and has the irritating habit of altering your html into alien tags

What, exactly, is <br />

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:11:11 PM »

Explorer 7 shouldn't be having any problems in every test I've done so far. I've ID'ed an issue with IE6 that it renders the tableless CSS poorly (stupid DIV tags are MS's idea in the first place...).

If you have the stuff running off the right hand side, try this:

Click "My Account" in the left hand navigation
Click the Edit tab.
Scroll to the bottom, and choose the Bluemarine theme.
Click save.

This has worked for fixing the site on browsers struggling with the current setup. Screens for those of you not using IE 6 are VERY appreciated!

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »

Having to reef the outermost scroll bar to the bottom of the screen then repeat that with the innermost one in order to read a thread really is not doing anything to encourage fondness of the new site. Neither is getting kicked out of a thread everytime you post to it (at which point you have to scroll back up to the top of the page).

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

God no. Firefox 2.0

It kills me to say this, but I think the wiki on the old site was better than this new one. This new one handles spacing oddly (hitting Return generates two lines instead of one which both go away when you hot backspace or delete), and has the irritating habit of altering your html into alien tags

What, exactly, is <br />

Firefox is actually the BEST browser for this site. I imagine you're up to date since it forces out the updates to me all the time...

Your issue with the wiki has nothing to do with the wiki, but the editor. It's a full HTML generator, so it renders returns as Paragraphs. <BR /> is another way of rendering the Break tag. If you want to paste HTML to the editor, you need to click the Source button, then paste yoru HTML. Wiki syntax, being open source and thus not held to 1 standard, will do you no good regardless, unforunately, because we can't support them all. This is why Wolverine's the deputy Wink

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »

Having to reef the outermost scroll bar to the bottom of the screen then repeat that with the innermost one in order to read a thread really is not doing anything to encourage fondness of the new site. Neither is getting kicked out of a thread everytime you post to it (at which point you have to scroll back up to the top of the page).

Do you have a mousewheel? I have never had this issue by using the mousewheel to scroll down. Like I said - forcing the length of the window out further makes the issue worse, not better.

As for the return to top - that's a feature, and not something I can fix.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »

Don't have a mouse, have a track point (gotta love them Think Pads).

Why oh why couldn't you have gone with the phpbbs like on the AEG site? Even the old Crafty site was more convivial than this.

And I have been using the html screen for the wiki editor - rich text editors are a waste of time and resources if you want to get something done right.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »

Ah. Well there's the issue then.

I didn't go with phpBB because of it's notorious issues with security and stability. IF this ends up being another disaster for forum software, we'll look into it. I completely disagree with you that our former forum software was better, however.

if you've been using the Source tab to enter your content, i have no idea why it wouldn't be working. Could you post a link where you're having issues?

Minion
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

Howdy!

Don't mean to be all gloomy-like, but I've gotta back Mister Andersen up on the scrollbar-inside-a-scrollbar thing. It makes reading anything on the forum a fairly unpleasant experience. I'm sure it scrolls around fine when you've got a mousewheel, but here in laptop land it's not so much fun.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »

Oh, the new layout is MUCH MUCH better - HulkSMASH desires are disipating rapidly. It's like being on a proper forum again.

If it wasn't you changing anything, then the magic happened when I clicked the "show unread messages since last visit" link on the sidebar.

Check out the Feats page on the wiki. Despite offering it as an option, and its effects showing up in the editing box in RTF mode, the actual displayed page doesn't accept the <h1>, <h2>, etc tags
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:03:24 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: