Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 04, 2015, 07:06:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Potions: making them more usable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Potions: making them more usable?  (Read 416 times)
TheVastator
Operative

Everything is better with pirates!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »

Hello everyone, I've tried to do a quick search but I couldn't find what I wanted: what are your house rules about elixirs? The base rule isn't bad but it kinda cripples the types of potions a character would want to use (I mean, always trying to use the healing ones over the others).
The Primer class (witcher-like) is a nice addition, but I'm pretty curious to know how you guys handle the elixirs.
Ares
Control

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »

I've introduced a quality with costs analogous to distilled called "selbstverträglich".
It's incompatible with distilled and allows you to benefit from unlimited potions as long as they all have this quality.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:01:49 AM by Ares » Logged

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

I've introduced a quality with costs analogous to distilled called "selbstvertäglich".
It's incompatible with distilled and allows you to benefit from unlimited potions as long as they all have this quality.
Hmmm.  Google Translate suggested that it needed another "r" for some reason (selbstverträglich), decided it was German and then told me it was "even tolerated."

Is that about right?

Dirigible
Agent

Terror to animal creation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:37 PM »

You could allow a character to drink up to Con mod (min 1) per scene.

Or borrow a rule from 1st ed. AD&D and make it a campaign quality: Potion Miscibility. Every elixir beyond the first requires a roll of some sort to avoid unexpected side-effects from mixing the different concoctions, with increasing difficulty the more are imbibed in the same scene.

Midnight to Fantasy Craft Conversion. Recent Addition: Skill-Based Magic.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »

That last one is the one I use.

In my current game, drinking multiple potions requires a random* saving throw against DC 15 + (5 times number of previous potions imbibed in last 24 hours) for any past the first. So 20 for the second, 25 for the third, etc. Failure results in the having no effect and the imbiber becomes sickened for a number of minutes equal to the amount they failed the save by.

*This started as a Fortitude save but that skewed potion use towards warrior style characters since they tend to have higher fortitude which was never my intent. Now, some potions may make you dizzy (reflex), confused (will) or just sick (fortitude).

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Ares
Control

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 05:24:37 AM »

I've introduced a quality with costs analogous to distilled called "selbstvertäglich".
Hmmm.  Google Translate suggested that it needed another "r" for some reason (selbstverträglich), decided it was German and then told me it was "even tolerated."

Is that about right?

You are right. There was a missing "r".
It's a German term, primarily used in agricultural context, meaning you can plant one sort of crop year after year on the same plot without the plants developing diseases.
I have no idea how to translate that with one word into English  Wink

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
TheVastator
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »

and for some reason I've posted this here instead of License to Improvise... any mod can please move this? Smiley
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

Keep in mind there is a very dangerous trend that the more you can benefit from something, the more you MUST benefit from it.

In the case of healing potions you rapidly go from occasional source of breathing room or a rare spectacular save/squeaking by with 3 vitality to "don't leave home without (a six pack of) 'em"...

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »

Probably the simplest way that doesn't upset the cart too much is to split healing and utility potions up and give each group it's own use limit.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Slashes-With-Claws
Operative

I will eat your heart!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »

Or borrow a rule from 1st ed. AD&D and make it a campaign quality: Potion Miscibility. Every elixir beyond the first requires a roll of some sort to avoid unexpected side-effects from mixing the different concoctions, with increasing difficulty the more are imbibed in the same scene.

Spoony just posted a video about that today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3VOZGFXTXU

After watching the video I thought it might work for FC, or, at least some variant of it.  Probably without the chance of exploding or instantly dieing or the chance of the potion being permanent.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:29:48 AM by Slashes-With-Claws » Logged

TheVastator
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 04:32:55 AM »

Probably the simplest way that doesn't upset the cart too much is to split healing and utility potions up and give each group it's own use limit.
this seems a fair an simple method.
I've always personally tought that the mixing potions rule from way back then was quite silly, especially when one of my characters did that, rolled a 100 on the table, and gained 1 point of int Tongue
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »

this seems a fair an simple method.
I've always personally tought that the mixing potions rule from way back then was quite silly, especially when one of my characters did that, rolled a 100 on the table, and gained 1 point of int Tongue

You only say that because you rolleed badly and got kill.. Wait... Nevermind,

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: