Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 08:13:20 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Notebook] Fantasy Craft Archetypes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Notebook] Fantasy Craft Archetypes  (Read 1775 times)
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »

Thought I'd gone, didn't you? I know you did. First off, the revision.
Assassin Archetype
Attendant
   Interest: Alchemy
   Poison Expert: You decide long in advance how your marks meet their end. You gain the Venom Master trick, the Crafting (Chemistry) focus, and may add your starting action die to the Complexity of items you may build using your Chemistry focus. Also, the threat range of Blend and Disguise checks during a scene that you have used your Venom Master trick increase by 2.
Quote from: Foghorn's Brain
Turns out 'courtesan' tends to mean "expensive date that sticks around afterwards...if you know what I mean. Wink, wink.", so I had to go with a slightly different name. I also know that I may have overcompensated with the first sentence worth of benefits, but I tend to try to work starting action dice into the core ability if I can. I'll likely take that last bit with the starting action dice out if people think it's too much.

Courtier Archetypes
Clergyman
   Interest: Alignment
   Power of Belief: Your Lifestyle is added to all Disposition modifiers with NPCs who share your Alignment.

Entourage
   Interest: Groupies
   Walk Like Me: Once per scene as a free action, you may temporarily grant your teammates 1 of your Style feats until the end of the scene.

Harbinger
   Interest: Military Bureaucracy
   Pulling Rank: Once per scene, you may purchase a Noble favor using your Military Renown Rank. Also, your Rise to Power ability increases Military Renown in place of Noble Renown.

Explorer Archetypes
Hoarder
   Interest: Heirlooms
   Favored Prize: You and your teammates gain Reputation equal to 3 x your starting action die toward 1 Prize that does not count towards your total number of Prizes.

Seeker
   Interest: Alignment
   Benefit: Once per scene, you may gain 1 clue about a character, scene, or location. If the gamemaster refuses to give you this hint, you gain 1 action die.

Wandering Scholar
   Interest: Artifacts
   Benefit: You are efficient in your travel methods. Your overland travel speed is increased in MPH by an amount equal to your starting action dice. Also, when you roll an action die to increase a navigation Knowledge check, you roll 2 dice instead.

Quote from: Foghorn's Brain
These are both classes that I've seen very little action with in the games I've run, so I was a little lacking in the inspiration department sometimes. They're all short as far as text goes, but I think for the most part, they each have something to offer. Let me know.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

Are you still intending these as replacements for the existing Core Abilities or are they somehow add-ons?
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

Replacements in order to still use the class you want, but get a slightly different feel and flavor from them.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »

Bringing this back from the dead for a quick moment. Had someone drop a PM in my inbox asking where I was on this, so I thought I'd just post a link to the document I was working off of and everyone could see the whole package. I'd still love feedback on these, especially ideas for the Interest requirements on them as I have a hard time with those sometimes.

[Notebook] Fantasy Craft Archetypes
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

I've been going through the Google Document and left a bunch of obnoxious comments/feedback, and man I really dig this idea. Aside from some minor, unmetioned wording tweaks I might make, I'm almost certainly going to steal these for future campaigns.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »

I'm glad to see/hear someone will get some mileage out of them. And your comments got some good brain juices going on some of those abilities that didn't quite pan out as nicely as I would have liked.
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 02:17:40 AM »

The base concept alone is a really good one-- give these toolkit classes options alter a single mechanic to help support even more playstyles and flavours-- and the executions you have are, on the whole, really good and really inspiring mechanics. it was hardest to keep my comments to the minimum that I did, heh. I tend to have a lot to say about game design...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: