Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 12:55:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  13 Things That Do Not Make Sense
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 13 Things That Do Not Make Sense  (Read 1156 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:05:18 AM »

http://space.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524911.600

Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »

Okay, so science doesn't know everything, and once you cross the barrier of quantum physics, you're out in the zone.  You could probably include a lot of things about psychology in that list.  The sheer fact of the matter is the more of the universe we figure out, the more unknowns we discover. 

Argh.  Who was it who said "Failing anything else, mankind is certain to discover immortality through spectacular error."?

Or: "Most discoveries are not accompanied by cries of 'Eureka', but rather a muttered 'Now what is causing THAT?' "

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

I am slightly annoyed that the placebo effect garnered two out of the thirteen - homeopathy is an example of the placebo effect in action, not its own category

Cold fusion has also been pretty thoroughly disproven, too many of the backers have histories for such wonders as perpetual motion....

Some of the others are interesting though.

The Auld Grump, for those looking for information on some of the backers of cold fusion I recommend Skeptical Enquirer. Heck, I recommend it even if you aren't looking into cold fusion. Also good is Robert Park's What's New.

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:35 AM »

Cold fusion has also been pretty thoroughly disproven, too many of the backers have histories for such wonders as perpetual motion....

Heh. I keep hearing this from the scientific cool kids. Cold fusion isn't explained by currently understood principles of physics and has not been shown to be a viable power source. But that's saying something different from being "thoroughly disproven." Helium "ash" shows up in cold fusion experiments, so it's fairly apparent that something is happening.

And as for the backers... because someone wacky supports a theory being evidence of falsehood is pretty shaky scientifically speaking. So take care chucking stones in glass houses. Wink
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:06:55 AM by Psion » Logged

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »

And as for the backers... because someone wacky supports a theory being evidence of falsehood is pretty shaky scientifically speaking. So take care chucking stones in glass houses. Wink

The shorthand for rebutting the genetic fallacy is: Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:36:36 AM »

Heh. I keep hearing this from the scientific cool kids. Cold fusion isn't explained by currently understood principles of physics and has not been shown to be a viable power source. But that's saying something different from being "thoroughly disproven." Helium "ash" shows up in cold fusion experiments, so it's fairly apparent that something is happening.

For many of the backers I would not use the term 'wacky' - I would use the term 'crooks'. The fact that they are selling glass houses.... Tongue

The Auld Grump, who has a bridge to sell, nice, central urban location....

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: