Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 11:07:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Classic Topics
| | |-+  [Humor] Campaign Qualities to Avoid?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Humor] Campaign Qualities to Avoid?  (Read 35207 times)
Salsa
Agent

Why? Just Cause...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »

Dubitable Dove (Scenes Only: -15 XP, 2 GC Action Dice): Action Dice explode twice, all damage is reduced by half, error range and threat range increase by 1. Speed reduced by 10 feet. All actions are full round actions.

"Colonel: Why not? This is a type of role-playing game. The point is that you play out your part -- and I expect you to turn in a perfect performance!"
ó Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 09:05:30 AM »

The GC must, however, have a little old lady sitting in the corner playing the score on a piano.

We have a theatre here in Auckland that still has a working Wurlitzer. It's quite impressive when they fire it up.

Moving on, this one is based on Subtitled:

Dubbed (+0XP): The game has been dubbed into English (or whichever language you play in) from another. All players and the GC must not move their lips in time with the words. The GC may choose to award bonus points for people who manage to turn 15 seconds or more worth of lip movement into single syllable words, or other such extremes. Those needing inspiration for this Quality should watch Kung Pow.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »

Slow-Mo Camera (25 XP):  If the character ever does anything that succeeds by five or more, or is a threat, they must spend at least a number of seconds equal to the roll describing in detail how their character looks while doing it (the folding of their clothing while doing a snap kick, which way the wind is blowing their hair, etc). or the action automatically fails.  If they do so, they gain a +2 boredom bonus on their result roll or the next time they attempt a similar action.  Each time they describe themselves, they must emphasize other irrelevant details.

GC BS(-100 XP):  Any agent may drop an action die at any time to cut into the GC's description or role-playing efforts and force an immediate die roll of appropriate type to resolve the situation.  Also known as "Just the Facts, Maam".

Dramatic Western (25 XP):  Any time a PC and a special NPC are involved in combat, they may spend a round 'eyeballing each other'.  Both of them gain a +1 aim bonus to hit and damage.  This bonus is cumulative, but never more than doubles the result.  Can also be applied to samurai swordfights.  (Actually, this one blows, just use Standoff.  I've actually read the rules and it's hideously useful.)

Dance to the Music (50 XP):  The GC puts a bunch of random CDs in the music player, and sets it to randomly select tracks.  Any time an action happens that is thematically appropriate to the background music, they gain a +2 unnamed bonus to the roll.

Tagline (-100 XP):  Each of the characters has a set, unchanging phrase.  Once per game session, they may say the phrase and gain the effect of an action die.  They must repeat the phrase a number of times per session equal to the mission's calibur or the positive effects are lost next game session.  XP penalty is doubled if the GC needs therapy to recover from usage of the tagline.

Yeah, we take the towels, too (-50 XP):  Unless the GC expends an action die, the players ignore encumbrance, and may pick up and carry any item whose weight is less than their carry total.  They do not need to worry about containers or other means of conveyance.  When the GC expends the action die, players must decide which items to keep, and drop the others.  PCs may not pick up items they drop, but may acquire more items of exactly the same type later in the mission.

My appologies if any of these are actually already in the rules.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »

Slo-Mo Camera could also be called Bullet-Time.  I love it!

Gratuitous (0 XP):  This campaign carries a certain objectionable facet to ludicrous levels.  When chosen, select one of the following: Profanity, Violence, Gore, Sexuality, Political Dogma.  That facet must be included in 9 of 10 instances of box text or other description, and in at least half of every conversation within the game.  This quality may be applied more than once, including a different selection each time. 

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »

CINEMATIC ACTION CAMERA! (+0 XP):

You shoud rename this to the Michael Bay Camera Cheesy

Or perhaps Paul Greengrass Camera.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Salsa
Agent

Why? Just Cause...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »

yeah I forgot, that's actually a quirk of his (bourne and all) and not Bay's decision.

"Colonel: Why not? This is a type of role-playing game. The point is that you play out your part -- and I expect you to turn in a perfect performance!"
ó Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 07:31:39 PM »

Dance to the Music (50 XP):  The GC puts a bunch of random CDs in the music player, and sets it to randomly select tracks.  Any time an action happens that is thematically appropriate to the background music, they gain a +2 unnamed bonus to the roll.

I love this one! It's useful even in non-comedic games! I may even rogue it for something down the line...

Tagline (-100 XP):  Each of the characters has a set, unchanging phrase.  Once per game session, they may say the phrase and gain the effect of an action die.  They must repeat the phrase a number of times per session equal to the mission's calibur or the positive effects are lost next game session.  XP penalty is doubled if the GC needs therapy to recover from usage of the tagline.

We have a catch phrase quality, actually.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

Gratuitous (0 XP):  This campaign carries a certain objectionable facet to ludicrous levels.  When chosen, select one of the following: Profanity, Violence, Gore, Sexuality, Political Dogma.  That facet must be included in 9 of 10 instances of box text or other description, and in at least half of every conversation within the game.  This quality may be applied more than once, including a different selection each time. 

Script in action die bonuses for folks who reinforce the facet in play and you're golden!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »

Here's my two cents

Eyes Up Here! (50xp): All female players with a low neckline gain 2 extra action dice for the current session. The type of action dice depends on how low really is the neckline.

This actually was a usual joke in my stargate campaign, with half the group being girls. Oddly, they used to take advantatge of the qualitie... Grin (ahgs, i need a devil Smiley...)

By the way, today is my birthday and my friends gave the the WoF!!! i bought the pdf 2 weeks ago, but is good to be able to read it in deadtreeversion!! (i also got jeremiah and the thundermountain sourcebook!)

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
nfactor13
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 02:10:31 AM »

Do you expect me to talk?
For each round a player's character takes an action, it must be accompanied by an appropriate line from movie, television, literature, or comics, or the character immediately takes one damage.  If the GC wishes, the genre or category can be restricted, and players must spend an action die to change genres.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 03:04:28 AM »

The Glitter of Magic (+25 XP, Seasons Only, Requires High Magic Quality):
When casting any spell the player may fling a pinch of glitter into the air while shouting 'MAGIC!' - Doing so adds a +3 Glitter bonus to the Profession (School) roll.

Image from Stupidity in Magic

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »

Twist Ending (+0 XP, Seasons Only): Keep this quality secret from the players during play. At the end of this Season, the GC must reveal that the entire time, the players have been working directly against someone who is attempting to save the world from certain destruction. They would have noticed this had they looked past his obviously evil actions and noticed they were all for the greater good, no matter how farfetched.

Alright, that one spawns from a hint of bitterness because one of my 'friends' always uses it in every campaign he runs.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »

Sound Effects (+10 XP):
All actions must be accompanied by appropriate sound effects. If no sound effect is attempted then the action automatically fails.

'I get into the first available car and flee from the police' *Putt, putt, putt, putt...* 'Take that, coppers!' *Bang, Bang, Bang, Click!*

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »

Sound Effects (+10 XP):
All actions must be accompanied by appropriate sound effects. If no sound effect is attempted then the action automatically fails.

'I get into the first available car and flee from the police' *Putt, putt, putt, putt...* 'Take that, coppers!' *Bang, Bang, Bang, Click!*

Oh man is that awesome! I'd actually inverse it so that any appropraite sound effect gains 1 action die, but only for the first time that sound effect is used that session. After you need new SFX if you want more AD....

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Gentry