Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 02:46:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  "tradecraft" books
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "tradecraft" books  (Read 996 times)
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »

I know the Crafty boys have recommendations on books of both fiction and non-fiction, but I was curious as to what some of the board members have on their shelves as good tradecraft books, either on the basics or in-depth.

Reading some of the customer reviews at Amazon or Barnes and Noble, it's hard to know who to believe.  As most of the members here either have more then a passing interest in, or have done(i.e military experience) said things, I'd like to hear what you have and would recommend.    I know I've asked a couple people in threads, so I decided to make a single post for everyone to comment.

Also, if you could give a short why you recommend a book that would be great too.

TIA

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Some military intelligence reading:
 - MCWP 2-1 Intelligence Operations
 - MCWP 2-12 MAGTF Intelligence Production and Analysis
 - MCWP 2-14 CounterIntell Part 1
 - MCWP 2-14 CounterIntell Part 2
Got these from the USMC web page ages ago.

Covert Ops reading:
 - Richard Marcinco's Rogue Warrior-series (fiction), writer is a former SEAL commander.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »

Well, the one classical tradecraft book I keep on my shelves is The Art of War by Sun Tzu. It doesn't have the modern emphasis and details you might be looking for, but the "big picture" thinking is good for thinking about espionage from a leader's perspective. Good for conceiving espionage plots.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:06 AM »

I have a 1960s copy of a textbook for a Police procedure course. Mostly geared for patrolmen. I'd referenced it quite a bit in my college days for my Cthulhu campaigns.

There's a whole chapter in the "Art of War" dedicated to espionage... and I read it occasionally if I'm about to get into a serious "Risk" confrontation with the inlaws.

I have also found my Time Life "Old West" series very, very useful for fantasy settings... It gives a pretty good reference point for hows and whys towns and forts are set up and the economic impact it has on the surrounding area.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: