Crafty Games Forum

Community => Play-by-Post => Topic started by: glimmerrat on November 11, 2010, 11:43:09 AM

Title: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 11, 2010, 11:43:09 AM
Old Manhattan
March 12th, 2250; 1230 hrs
Soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNxgKHX2B0g&feature=related)

It's taken nearly two months of wandering the wastes to find a hint of civilization, but finally, you've succeeded. You've spoken to several survivor communities - including several weeks spent with your favourite Ny City mirelurk hunters - and even had words with a gang who call themselves the Rangers. You've had to navigate partially flooded subway tunnels, and dodge the occasional group of slavers, ravening ghouls and who-knows-what else during your search.

The Empire State Building (http://www.earthdocumentary.com/new-york-city/empire_state_building-03.jpg) is a magnificent sight, and none of you realized that a building could be so darn tall. After passing one of the Empire State Republics four heavily-armed guard posts, you find yourselves walking along a startlingly well-swept 5th Avenue. There are no vehicle wrecks here, and the buildings, despite a lack of windows on the lower floors, are in good condition.

Men (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090222161039/fallout/images/7/79/Pre-War_Outfit.png), women (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090222161927/fallout/images/2/2c/Dirty_Prewar_casualwear.png) and children (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081208044656/fallout/images/8/8c/Flower.jpg) appear to be going about thier daily lives, passing between several inhabited buildings around the base of the great skyscraper, and those of you who care to look up see a rather odd-looking vessel (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090211045339/mummy/images/thumb/f/fa/Balloon.jpg/255px-Balloon.jpg) apparently moored to the spire at the very top. Marksmen armed with assorted weaponry watch you from several rooftops, and the security checkpoint carried enough weaponry to outfit a small army. There must be a lot of people living here...

The Scribes are all, of course, very excited. It has been suggested that the Republic's success has been due in no small part to the fact that it is based around a large Vault under the Empire State Building's foundations. If this is true, then they may have access to a lot of advanced tech. They also apparently rent out rooms to those who are prepared to behave themselves, and it has to be better than some of the shitholes you've slept in recently.

Tattered, yet obviously well cared-for flags flank the entrance, and as you are stopped by a security team in the lobby, you can't help but marvel at the place (http://americanpictures.gm/_library/photo/17345804-7533-46ab-adfe-c18ec668122c-d.jpg). A man dressed in body armor and carrying an energy weapon of some sort (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101102041353/fallout/images/9/95/ENCLAVEPLASMARIFLE.png) approaches you and stops. He flatly states
"Stop right there. I don't know what those lolly-gagging slackers on the barricades told you, but let me be absolutely clear from the get-go: these are my people. This is my home. Do anything to put either in jeopardy, and i'll fucking end you. Clear?" His scarred face lends him the look of a hardened soldier. "Now, are you petitioning for rooms, or looking for work?" His response isn't the worst you've had recently, and he hasn't just tried to kack you right off the bat, so there's a big plus. He looks like he wants an answer.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 11, 2010, 11:49:03 AM
Elsie nods at his statements. "Yes, and probably." She smiles sweetly. "So, where do we go next, and who do we speak to?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 11, 2010, 12:32:04 PM
"That you my good sir.  My companions and I would appreciate any help you could provide on rooms, work or food.  I mean, a man can live on Mirelurk cakes..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 11, 2010, 12:35:19 PM
Franklin stands at the back, glowering at the man but letting Elsie do the talking. He's feeling like punching mr. tough guy in the face, but then again since leaving the vault most people have looked like they could use a good beating, and it's getting harder and harder to resist that temptation. But for now he'll stay in the background, keeping his anger in check until he gets a chance to unleash it.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 11, 2010, 01:07:17 PM
Alice stood behind Elsie, ogling the man's energy rifle and only vaguely listening to his admonition.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 11, 2010, 04:17:31 PM
Hondo has nothing to say. The thought of an actual bed dances in his mind.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 12, 2010, 01:43:06 AM
He glances over you all with more than a little suspicion, as he gestures at a door off to your right. "Recruitment's through there. You want to live here, you have to complete at least one successful job before the Council will consider your application."

You follow his directions into a large wood-panelled room with a high ceiling and many old-fashioned tables. Oil paintings that have seen better days adorn the walls, and sat behind a counter is an older man with thinning white hair and a face creased with laughter lines. He stands up as you enter, and you see that he is wearing well-worn denim dungarees and a hand-knitted sweater. "Ah, good afternoon and welcome to the Republic Recruitment Center. That's a grandiose name for the room where we post the jobs up..." he adds conspiratorialy. "My names Graham, and i'm the recruitment officer here." He seems a lot more friendly than the guy outside. "So, you're here for work, right?" A few mumbled confirmations follow, and he nods enthusiatically with a smile. "Ok then... if you all take a seat we can add you to out system..." he pats the top of a softly glowing computer monitor "...and see if we have anything that suits your skill set."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 12, 2010, 03:31:11 AM
Hondo tries to find a chair sturdy enough to hold him, eventually settling into one that creaks in protest, but holds.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 12, 2010, 04:16:44 AM
Alice found a seat near Hondo, set Lady Joan down on her butt, doffed her helmet, and settled down to wait, the rifle's muzzle break well above Alice's head.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 12, 2010, 04:52:08 PM
As Marcus lowers himself into the seat, he asks in a light tone, "So what kind of information are you going to need from us?  Names?  Talents?  Work History?  I can tell you Alice over there is a whiz when it comes to mechanical things."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 12, 2010, 05:10:09 PM
Franklin sits down and flashes the man behind the desk a smile, but it ends up far too toothy to for a friendly smile. "I've been told my cooking is to die for... Or something like that..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 13, 2010, 09:40:30 AM
Elsie perches on the edge of a chair after no one hands her one, crossing her legs to one side and sticking her chest out looking intently at her interviewer. "My name is Elsie. I like puppies, flowers and the color pink. I'm very good with people and I can talk to practically anyone - i'm very persuasive! I'm currently single, and looking to fill that gap." She winks and grins.

Spoiler: show

Remember she has the Gorgeous feat!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 13, 2010, 10:16:11 AM
He listens with a smile and nods as you offer suggestions. He pauses as Elsie speaks up, looking at her with his mouth ever so slightly open. A few moments later he blinks and shakes his head as if clearing it, and adds "Yes, well... i'll... yes. Ok! So, if you could introduce yourselves, name, age and skill set? In no particular order. And take your time! I'll enter Elsie in first. What's the surname, sorry?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 13, 2010, 10:36:18 AM
Hondo waits for an opening to introduce himself. "Hondo Gomez. I can, uh, hunt pretty good. And I help these guys. With ... stuff."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 13, 2010, 11:18:53 AM
After Hondo finishes, Alice spoke up:  "I'm Alyssandra De'Vresta.  I fix things a bit more than I break them, but sometimes ya hafta break it to fix it better."

Spoiler: show
How many Scribes are wandering around with us?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 13, 2010, 11:30:16 AM
When Alice's done, Franklin informs the clerk "Franklin Gennaro. I cook, pretty good at lifting, climbing and such, and pretty good with an axe."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 13, 2010, 02:13:17 PM
"The name is Marcus Smith and I pretty much do anything that needs to get done, usually the kinds of things no one else wants to do."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 13, 2010, 10:55:41 PM
After you're all done, Jim introduces himself and the other Brotherhood members, while Graham dilligently enters the details onto his computer. As soon as you're all done, he gives you a satisfied smile and says "Right! let's run a search algorithm or two, and see which jobs we have..." He types a command and hits return, then sits staring at the screen for a few moments as the hard drive crackles away to itself. "Sorry - been a while since she's had a patch..." When the search is done, he responds with an "Ah-ha!" and sits back in his chair.

"Ok, it appears that we have a few things available that would suit you all. You Brotherhood types are technically-inclined, and we have some machinery in the... um... 'basement'... that needs looking at." Jim and Ruth give each other guarded smiles and Heather high-fives Greg. "Ordinarilly i'd say Alyssandra would be better used downstairs too, but the computer seems to think that you'd be better off with these guys as you're not in this Brotherhood group?" He gestures with his hands whilst talking. "The rest of you will need to go for a short walk, but i'll let you check the details for yourselves on the jobs board." He points at a 6 ft. long cork board nailed to the wall next to the door. "If you guys read up on the details while I take the others downstairs, i'll be back in 5-10 minutes."

After the others leave, you move to read the notice. There are half-a-dozen job notifications here, and most seem to involve volunteering for extra rotation on street cleanup or guard duty. However, the one that you're looking for is on a (relatively) fresh piece of paper.

Note, pinned on ‘jobs’ board
“On Tuesday this week, Joey and Annabelle Wilke were seen playing beyond Barricade #2. They were reported missing by their parents later that day, and after interviewing their peers it has been determined that they have most likely traveled north to the Tangle. A bounty of 100 caps per child is available for the safe return of one or both children. Half of this sum will be payable upon their return if one or both of the children are deceased. Sheriff Armstrong has more details for those who are interested.”

Spoiler: show

MISSION
Caliber III (The children will die)
Threat Level 3

OBJECTIVES:
Find the children (Investigate 5)                  125XP
Bring the children home (Rescue 3)                  75XP

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 13, 2010, 11:00:06 PM
After reading the note, Elsie gasps and puts a hand to her mouth. "Those poor children! We should help them, Tex..." The chihuahua sits obediently at her feet, his tail thrumming out a beat on the floor as he looks up at her.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 14, 2010, 12:00:57 AM
"I agree, we must see them returned.  Children are quite literally the best hope for humanity's future they must be protected to the best of our ability."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 14, 2010, 07:56:07 AM
Alice leaned back in the chair and scratched her head with the hand not holding Lady Joan upright.  "Tuesday?  The Tangle?  Maybe we can find some stuff along with the kids?  Find enough to cover laundry and a bath?  Tex can find 'em right?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 14, 2010, 01:07:00 PM
"What's the Tangle?" asks Hondo.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 15, 2010, 06:29:55 AM
"I'm guessing Sheriff Armstrong could answer that. Shall we go find the good sheriff?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 15, 2010, 06:33:26 AM
"That probably is a good idea, if we're going to go there and look for these kids."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 15, 2010, 07:10:50 AM
You find the Sheriff out front, stood under a canopy attached to the front of the building. The olive color makes it looks like it is made from an old army tent, and stinging grit patters off your faces as it flaps in the breeze. He holds the plasma rifle across his body, cradled in his arms in a rest position as he sits, watching the street from a rusted garden chair. As you approach he turns his head in your direction and raises an eyebrow. "Can I help you folks?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 15, 2010, 07:22:00 AM
Alice stood beside Elsie, planning on letting her friend do the talking, Joan's barrel rising over her shoulder like a backbanner, her released hair blowing in the breeze.  She ogled the Sheriff's plasma rifle while she fidgeted with her helmet.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 15, 2010, 11:39:22 AM
As the others mention talking to the sheriff, Marcus adds, "Good idea, see if you can find out what he knows.  Graham said he'd be back shortly, I'll wait here for him and find out if he has anything to add about the job as well."

Spoiler: Actions • show

I'll be informing Graham that we have agreed to take on the job and then I am going to get what information I can out of Graham.

How old were the children?

Do they have any pictures of the children?

Do they have a history of running off like this or is it more likely someone kidnapped them?

If he or the sheriff can't provide this information, may we speak with the parents about it?

Also, are there any known raider/slaver/mutant groups known to operate in this area?

Anything Graham doesn't know, I'll bring up with the Sheriff afterward.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 15, 2010, 06:47:11 PM
Hondo lets others do the talking, but pays close attention.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 15, 2010, 11:17:53 PM
Elsie asks the sheriff for the following information:

How old were the children?

Do they have any pictures of the children?

Do they have a history of running off like this?

Can we speak with the parents about it?

Also, are there any known raider groups that operate in this area?

What the hell is 'the tangle'?

Spoiler: show

Thanks for the inspiration Bill
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 16, 2010, 09:01:17 AM
[OOC] Ok, to cut a long story short, between you, you find out the following information:

How old were the children?
“Joey is 12, and his sister Annabelle is 15. And what do you mean, 'were'?”

Do they have any pictures of the children?
Joey (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081208043627/fallout/images/9/95/Ralph.jpg)
Annabelle (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100506065954/fallout/images/e/e4/Angela_Staley.jpg)

Do they have a history of running off like this?
“No. They’re good kids – they study hard, do their chores and avoid the troublemakers.”

Can we speak with the parents about it?
“That’s a bad idea. They’re already hysterical with worry, and if you start prodding them with questions, their mother may well suffer some sort of breakdown. She’s barely holding it together as it is. Their father, John, has closed himself off completely. He’s practically catatonic.”

Also, are there any known unpleasant groups that operate in this area?
“Nobody really that organized. South is Ranger territory, based around the old Madison gardens, and north is patrolled pretty heavily by a group of vigilantes out of Riker’s Island. Of course, there are nomadic raiders and slavers everywhere, but nothing permanent that we know to.”

What the hell is 'the tangle'?
“It’s the dark heart of Old Manhattan. We think it used to be a strip of communal farmland running down the middle of the island, and including the overgrown surrounding streets, it’s about three miles long and a mile wide. No-one lives there; it’s too hostile. The children sometimes dare each other to play in the Tangle’s periphery, but that never ends well. There are things there that are better left undisturbed, unless it’s absolutely unavoidable.”
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 16, 2010, 10:20:32 AM
"Oh, one last question, I almost forgot.  What day of the week is it, now?"

After speaking with Graham about the children and telling him that he and his friends would go look for them, Marcus heads outside to join the others and go over the information that was discovered.

"I say we go to where they were last seen, search the area for any signs of what may have happened to them and then head towards the tangle.  If nothing accosts us as we approach the tangle, search just outside of it, see if we can find where they entered and then try to track them inwards."

Spoiler: OOC • show

Since they were able to provide us with the information we were looking for about the children, there's no real need to approach the parents.

If we see any other children while we are out, please let me know.  I was interested in talking to them as the children know more about the habits of the other children than the adults, but I don't want to spend more time tracking them down as we need to get started on searching.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 16, 2010, 10:28:17 AM
"Marcus' plan's a good one," says Hondo. "Let's start from there."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 16, 2010, 10:33:18 AM
"Hey Elsie, can Tex do that tracking thing?"  Alice turned to the Sheriff. "Any chance there is something that smells like one of them you can get your hands on?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 17, 2010, 09:01:15 AM
Later on that day (Thursday, by the way, after you've managed to snag one of the kids' socks...), you leave the Republic's headquarters and walk out to barricade number two. Sitting on the junction of 5th Avenue and East 34th Street, it turns out to be a substantially well-equipped field outpost. Stacked sandbags reinforced with welded plates of sheet steel - that has obviously been scavenged from wrecked vehicles - surround a tripod-mounted heavy machinegun (http://www.extremesportsandhobbies.com/bredaleft7a.jpg) position. The HMG is flanked by a pair of laser turrets that sit atop scaffolding protected by more sandbags and metal plates, and the outpost itself is crewed by five men wearing fatigues and body armor.

As you enter the field outpost, you notice a slightly dirty pre-war rocket launcher (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091015150752/fallout/images/b/ba/MISSILELAUNCHER.png) set off to one side, laying atop a dark green case that is marked 'WARNING! HIGH EXPLOSIVE!'.

The men on guard duty are surprisingly helpful, and one of them points out that he actually saw the kids heading north, away from the Republic border. Both were carrying packed canvass backpacks and wearing coats, and when he called to them they looked panicked and ran. By the time he got down the street to the junction, they were long gone. He seems to feel that the whole situation is his fault.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 17, 2010, 10:31:19 AM
While her friends inquired of the guards, Alice hovered over the weapons, her hands behind her on Lady Joan's stock, but disassembling them with her eyes.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 17, 2010, 10:32:44 AM
"Backpacks?" asks Hondo, looking to his friends. "Did anybody we've talked to so far say anything about the kids packing for a trip or whatever?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 17, 2010, 12:58:24 PM
Franklin shrugs, having shown remarkably little emotional interest in the missing children. "Maybe the kids ran away, or the other kids egged them to stay the night or something. Let's ask them if we find them, yeah?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 17, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
Marcus will put a reassuring hand on the guards shoulder.  "Don't worry, sir.  We'll find them.  Elsie, why don't you and Tex join me over there, and see if we can find their trail."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 17, 2010, 10:46:07 PM
Elsie grins. "Come on Tex, time to earn your keep!" The tiny brown chihuahua yaps at her in approval.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 18, 2010, 05:12:07 AM
As Marcus, Elsie and Tex start searching for the trail left by the two kids, one of the guards continues to speak to Hondo. "Yeah, they looked like they were going for a walk, and they didn't expect to get where they were going any time soon, if you get my meaning." In the background, Tex sniffs and snuffles around urgently... until he finds something interesting enough to pee on.

After deciding that Tex really isn't going to pick up a trail around here, you opt to start walking. The guards warn you that its about two miles to the edge of the Tangle, or just over twenty blocks dependant on the time of year. They also tell you that the blocks surrounding the forest have been almost completely reduced to rubble by the effects of the voraciously expanding wilderness.

The first leg of the walk is relatively easy, as it seems that the Republic has scavenged nearly every automobile, intact pane of glass and piece of scaffolding for about five blocks in all directions. The few cars that remain have been pretty thoroughly stripped right down to the chassis. After half an hour or so, you come across the remains of something that the Brotherhood guys mentioned before: New York Public Library (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/b/b0/20070701083248!New_York_Public_Library_-_Panorama_21112004.jpg). As you cross the front of the building, you step over rusted and ruined bicycles. The wind blows the pages of scorched books past you, and you all quickly notice the small group of people (http://lyricsfever.net/images/m/mercenary--img-m8bdffbb418a8e998b22482830b402fa5.jpg) stood at the bottom of the steps. They are accompanied by a floating robot (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/d/da/RL3.jpg) who looks a lot like Sparks, and one of them gives you a polite nod. They are all watching you warily.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 18, 2010, 06:46:31 AM
Alice started to bounce when she saw the robot. "They've got a bot!  I think it's a Mister Gutsy!  We Have to go over and talk to them!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 18, 2010, 01:11:00 PM
"I agree with your assessment, if not your reasoning.  They may have seen or heard something of the children.  I'll go talk to them."

Spoiler: Actions • show

Marcus will approach the group to ask if they have seen or heard of the children wandering this area and show them the pictures if they have.  He is unarmed, so he is hopeful that they won't see him as a threat as he approaches.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 18, 2010, 01:26:21 PM
Franklin keeps back, knowing full well people occasionally think he's a bit creepy. He does make a point to keep an eye on them at all times, ready to rush in if things turn bad.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 18, 2010, 02:33:48 PM
Hondo joins Frank in being alert for trouble and ready to get busy should the need arise.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 19, 2010, 11:55:04 PM
You approach the steps and the group at the top ready themselves for your arrival for taking the safetys off of their weapons. As you reach the bottom of the steps, the Mr Gutsy suddenly raises several spot-welded revolvers in your direction and barks "HEY! Freeze mister! You take one more step... AND I'LL FILL YA FULL OF MORE HOLES THAN THE ASSHOLE DAY PARADE!" One of the men says to the robot "Stand down, Sarge." As the droid lifts its weapons into the 'at ease' position and backs off, the guy who spoke adds "Sorry 'bout that, folks - the library is temporarily closed while we clean out a Ghoul infestation. Normal service will be resumed by the weekend..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 20, 2010, 06:36:34 AM
"Pity about the ghoul infestation," Alice mumbled as she sidled closer to the robot.  "Can I have a word with Sarge?"

Spoiler: show
These are Republic guards, right?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 20, 2010, 01:05:47 PM
Elsie sidles up to the group and smiles coquettishly at them. "Say, you boys wouldn't have happened to see a coupla kids around here in the last few days would you?" She reaches inside her shirt and pulls the pictures out of her brassiere, holding them up where they can see them. "Really boys, anything that you can tell would be helpful... and i'd just be so grateful, y'know" She adds a hint of a smile as a devastating finishing move.

Spoiler: show

Impress/Persuade: 1d20+14=29 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2772986/)

I have no idea how badly they want to hold onto the info, so i'll let glim figure the modifiers. Thanks to Charmer I should be able to pull an answer in 1 minute maximum.

Oh, and since Elsie is captivating, that's a DC13 Will save or they become fixated on her.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 20, 2010, 01:47:40 PM
Marcus opens his mouth to speak just as Elsie goes into her spiel.  Realizing that this is her area of expertise and that he won't be able to add anything meaningful to the conversation, he just closes his mouth and waits for an answer from the guys.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 20, 2010, 11:16:36 PM
The men listen to Elsie intently, and their facial expressions seem to be a mixture of slack-jawed awe, or nervous half-smiles. After she asks her question, it takes them a second or two to realize that she was actually talking. The one who spoke earlier pipes up with "Kids? Uh, I... no. I mean, that is we - have we seen any kids? Guys?" They all mumble that no, they haven't, except for one who quietly says "Now I wish I had..." Their leader shrugs apologetically. "Sorry ma'am, we haven't seen any around here." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "Hold on a second..." He speaks into a radio attached to his webbing. "Control? This is 2-L-16 at the Central Library. We've got some private citizens reporting two missing children..." He goes on to pass names and descriptions of the kids to 'control', and then turns to Elsie with a satisfied smile. "We may not be able to help you directly, but now every cop in Manhattan is looking for them too." Did he just say 'cop'?

Spoiler: show

Yeah, everyone but the Gutsy failed the Will save. They're all fixated on Elsie, and it's fairly obvious.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 21, 2010, 09:41:50 AM
"Cop?" asks Hondo to no one in particular. "There's cops?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 21, 2010, 10:08:34 AM
Taking the murmurs of chatter with Elsie as assent, Alice began examining Sarge.

Spoiler: show
So if they're the cops, is this Mr. Gutsy painted blue?  If not, why?   ???  ;D

Mechanics check to see if anything fixable in the next 5 minutes is wrong.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 21, 2010, 10:53:24 AM
The man nods to Hondo with a little smile. "That's correct sir, the NyPD is alive and well. Most of our forces are tied up trying to stop the Lamia's super mutants from expanding out of Queens, but a fair few of us are regularly rotated out to Old Manhattan to keep things in order."

Spoiler: show

Yes, Sarge is painted blue, but I didn't have time to photoshop the image...  :'(

I even wanted to add a little flashing light on the top!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 21, 2010, 01:13:17 PM
Alice continued to inspect the robot, now with half an ear to the noises of conversation.

Spoiler: show
Just mention he looks like this but blue (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/d/da/RL3.jpg) and this patch (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw0qhEvPnwsZM_ixyS_jk2FbBIKCySeMdg6k0C9xb56BKyAld2IQ) in place of the star?  No worries.

Is there anything wrong with Sarge that Alice can fix easily here, or that they can fix later?
Mechanics Check:  How's Sarge doin'? (1d20 + 8=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2774572/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 21, 2010, 02:11:47 PM
"What's a Lamia?" asks Hondo.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 22, 2010, 02:46:21 AM
At this question, they all exchange surprised glances. "The Lamia is a mutant, and a powerful one too. She... umm... 'it' seems to be the leader of the super mutants in the Queens Blight. No-one has ever seen it in person, but if it can bring the super mutants to heel... well." He lets that last statement hang in the air. "You're not from around here, are you?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 22, 2010, 03:36:25 AM
"Nah," replies Hondo with a shrug. He does not elaborate.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 22, 2010, 08:38:34 AM
Poking her head around the robot's torso, Alice's voice filled the about-to-be-awkward silence. "It's a nice patch, but something chewed on Sarge pretty good.  What was it?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 22, 2010, 08:48:28 AM
Sarge quickly turns on the spot, nearly accidentally knocking Alice over. "GHOULS ma'am - filthy ingrates! Damaging a fine piece of law enforcement equipment like me, and public property to boot!" The leader of the group raises an eyebrow at Sarge, then says as an aside to one of his colleagues "Remind me to have this unit's memory core formatted when we get back..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 22, 2010, 09:15:31 AM
She took a few staggering steps a few steps from the impact.  "Reformatted?!" Alice asked, her voice carrying a scandalized tone.  "But what can that help?  Do you really want him to forget everything he's learned about keeping everyone safe from these 'ghouls'?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 22, 2010, 12:00:58 PM
"We need to get going but I do have one last request.  If you guys DO happen to learn anything about the children, could you please contact me on this frequency?"

Spoiler: Actions • show

I'll give him my PipBoy Comm frequency.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 23, 2010, 04:38:16 AM
The man nods. “Sir, rest assured that right now, every cop in Old Manhattan is on the lookout for those children. If we see anything, we’ll contact you ASAP.” After Alice is prized off of Sarge (and her very good point is taken into account), you get underway.

The next dozen blocks or so are very quiet, and the wind whistles through the ruined buildings with an eerie keening noise. You pass a ruined university campus, and a big old church gutted by fire. Your first indication that you are getting close to the Tangle is the buildings – what begins as the odd patch of weeds or brush soon becomes thick creepers climbing up the sides of buildings. A block later, many of the buildings have been reduced to piles of rubble and half-collapsed walls, buried under a thick canopy of vegetation grown freakishly large.

As you advance the street quickly opens up to your left, and ahead of you under the shade of the canopy you can see a large, ornate fountain (http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9WCwIVyTh4Y/Rzo4_zkEoGI/AAAAAAAAGYw/ufM2-OnQdCA/New+York+City+070.jpg). It is filled with brackish water, and the sound of insects chirruping in the undergrowth can be heard all around you. The wide road is cracked and broken, and many small bushes and trees grow everywhere. There is a break in the tree line before you come to another small, adjacent plaza with a large bronze statue of a man on horseback (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Sherman_gilded_jeh.JPG), apparently escorted by an angel. Both are green with moss and the base is strangled with creepers. They sit right under the edge of what looks like the Tangle’s main canopy, and a high stone wall with a gate can be seen ahead and to your left.

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 23, 2010, 07:00:24 AM
Alice's unease increased as the party approached The Tangle:  First looking around as she patted Jenkins, then reaching back to rest her hand on Lady Joan's butt, and finally unslinging her rifle and occasionally hopping on plumes of flight pack exhaust, waiting for the appearance of the menace that surely must be lurking just out of sight.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 23, 2010, 11:40:50 AM
Marcus stops abruptly and signals for a halt, looking up at the sky. 

"You see that?  Something just flew overhead, looked like a winged ball of ugly with a stinger."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 23, 2010, 03:59:06 PM
"That was just Alice, mang," Hondo says, looking in vain for anything else.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 23, 2010, 04:40:27 PM
"Alice doesn't have wings.  Or a stinger."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 23, 2010, 04:58:52 PM
"Rrrrrrr.  I hate you guys."   :P
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 23, 2010, 07:42:00 PM
"So where the fuck is it, mang?" Hondo looks around again.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 24, 2010, 12:36:19 AM
"We should continue our search.  It may not be hostile, but I wouldn't bet on it, so keep an eye out."

Marcus absentmindedly reaches over his shoulder for his short staff, before remembering, with a sigh, that it broke a short while back.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 24, 2010, 02:52:22 AM
As Marcus finishes, almost perfectly on-cue Tex starts frantically sniffing around the area. After several minutes he runs between two wrecked Corvegas near the stone gateway, and then leaps back into view atop one of the cars. He starts barking at you all and wagging his tail enthusiastically. It seems he wants you to follow him...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 24, 2010, 03:02:42 AM
Elsie runs over to Tex and says in her goofiest voice "What is it Texie-wexie? Did you find the children? You're a good boy aren't you!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 24, 2010, 10:49:37 AM
Franklin lumbers after them, hand on the axe's handle in case the flying thing earlier wasn't just Marcus' imagination. He's kinda hoping it will show itself, it's been far too long since he's had a decent fight.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 24, 2010, 12:55:31 PM
Marcus crouches down as he approaches the Corvegas, moving between them to see what lays beyond.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 24, 2010, 02:26:46 PM
Hondo stays alert, backing up his friends.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 24, 2010, 03:25:21 PM
Seeing her friends start looking for trouble, Alice looked around for a location where she and Lady Joan can best support them if everything goes pear shaped.

Spoiler: show
Tactics for said vantage point.  Can you roll that for me?  I am on my phone right now.

She is also totally expecting something bad and is ready to turn Lady Joan loose on the threat.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 26, 2010, 11:50:40 PM
Alice draws her beastly new cannon as you all follow Tex deeper into the Tangle. Carved into the stone of the gate, barely legibile, is the legend 'Scholar's Gate (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3893589470_0d1a20782d.jpg)'. The trail that you follow north is in surprisingly good condition, but it is almost completely overshadowed by the canopy overhead. By 'good condition' I mean that you can see where it is and where it's going - the path itself has been smashed to rubble by the action of firmly-entrenched grasses and swollen tree roots.

As you progress along 'East Drive' (as marked by a series of corroded brass plaques), the canopy breaks up to your left revealing an overgrown pond (http://andrewprokos.com/d/central-park-south-pond?g2_itemId=1164&g2_serialNumber=7), where Tex pauses to snuffle around in the tall grass. It is devoid of any water fowl, but the chirping of insects seems to be omnipresent in the Tangle. Soon enough, Tex leads back onto the track and further north, although this pond seems to run alongside the path for quite some distance.

A momentry panic is caused when Hondo is convinced that he can see someone standing in the undergrowth off of the main track, watching you. A game of cat-and-mouse ensues that only ends when Hondo sneaks around back of your observer, and clouts him across the back of the head - with a resounding
BONNNNG! The brass bust of someone named 'Moore (http://www.centralpark2000.com/assets/attractions/mooreP0001019.jpg)' impassively looks on, apparently unimpressed with the assault on his person...

Making your way around a great piece of rock that is at least the size of the Vault's main atrium thrust up out of the ground, you find your way back to the ruins of the main track that you were following. A little past the escarpment, the path forks in two directions. The one to the left has no signs or markings, and the one to the right is flanked by a pair of signs: the left-hand sign (http://www.lovetoeatandtravel.com/Graphics/Photos/NewYork/CentralPark/Zoo/Central_Park_Zoo-01.jpg) depicts a pair of what you presume are flightless birds of some sort. The right-hand sign (http://www.lovetoeatandtravel.com/Graphics/Photos/NewYork/CentralPark/Zoo/Central_Park_Zoo-63.jpg) appears to list fees and charges for entry to this 'zoo'.

What do you do?

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on November 27, 2010, 12:20:13 AM
Franklin looks from path to path, clearly unsure about where to go. He then pulls out a cap from a pocket, scratches one side and then flips it like coin. As it flies through the air, the others can hear him mutter "scratch, left, no scratch, right."It lands with the scratched side up, so he nods, pockets the cap and declares "I'm votin' we go left."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 27, 2010, 12:59:30 AM
Marcus studies the paths for several moments, looking for any sign indicating which way the kids may have gone or what dangers may have been lurking for the kids...or them.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Searching for tracks.

Survival/Tracking: 1d20+8 → [10,8] = (18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2781333/)

I'll spend an action die on it (with a +1 from my origin ability): 1d4.open(4) + 1 → [3,1] = (4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2781334/)

Survival/Tracking lists Search as a synergy and I have 6 Ranks in Synergy, so I may be able to claim an additional +1 from that.

That brings my total to 23.

Unless the kids passed through here within the last 24 hours and crossed over Soft ground, I am not going to see any of their tracks.  However, it could be enough to see if something big, like say a Super Mutant, passed through here recently.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 27, 2010, 06:55:38 AM
"Maybe we should split up," Hondo suggests.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 27, 2010, 08:20:56 AM
Alice turned and glared at Hondo.  "Lean down here so I can smack the back of your head.  The last time we did that we almost got eaten by radroaches!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 27, 2010, 08:22:20 AM
"I'm just sayin'," Hondo says, shrugging sheepishly.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 27, 2010, 08:47:59 AM
Alice shifted and shoulder bumped her large friend's torso. "What's the next idea?  Mutated tuxedo birds, or ... 'other'?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 27, 2010, 09:43:07 AM
"Well, anyway, unless we can find something, we ought to follow the path that's marked, I guess," opines Hondo.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on November 27, 2010, 10:24:27 AM
Elsie watches Tex as he snuffles around in circles. "You really think they went to the zoo?" She scratches her head in obvious puzzlement.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on November 27, 2010, 03:18:52 PM
After studying the ground for a moment, Marcus crouches down to get a closer look.  Taking a few steps off the path, he stops and says over his shoulder while pointing to various points on the ground, ""You guys see this?  Boot prints, clean edges, probably metallic or armored.  Looks like 2 or 3 of them passed through here.  And something else, something with feat twice as big as a man, 3 toes, big claws, maybe a lizard of some sort has crossed this area twice recently.  No sign of the kids, though if they passed through here 2 days ago, their tracks could be long gone.  I say we follow the boot prints as far as we can.  If there were people here they may have seen the children and if they took them, we'll need to get them back."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on November 27, 2010, 03:34:00 PM
"Well, let's go then, mang," says Hondo, tearing himself away from staring at the freakish bird-things on the sign.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 27, 2010, 04:27:00 PM
"Well then Ah gey-yis me and Joany here gonna hafta sort 'em out." Alice drawled in her worst imitation "Western" accent before reaching up to adjust her hat, muttering again about damn Brooklyners as she again notes its absence.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on November 30, 2010, 06:20:39 AM
You follow the tracks, Marcus leading the way shortly followed by a frantically sniffing Tex. Soon the trail disintegrates even further, and you find yourself slowed as you have to pick your way through the brush. Luckily, the thick undergrowth means that Marcus easily spots trail signs showing that there has been movement through this area in the past few days, and quite a lot of it too.

You pass the ruins of an old house, apparently burned to ground a very long time ago. Nearby is an overgrown ornate pond. In the middle  a statue of some long-forgotten hunter (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2973751950_ebf25b0e37.jpg?v=0) still stands, coated in a layer of rust and moss. The moss makes him look like some ancient god of nature, standing sentinel over this place. The overall effect is quite creepy.

Up ahead, Tex finally picks up a strong scent and makes a beeline for the edge of the tree line. The woods open up into a wide vista of tall grass (http://virtual.parkland.edu/lstelle1/len/biface_guide/chert/documents/images/tall_grass.jpg), waving from side-to-side in the breeze like a green tide. Tex lunges forward into the grass, yapping furiously as you all struggle to keep up.

No more than 50 ft. in, Tex suddenly stops dead. He starts growling quietly, and those close to him see his hackles rise. He starts walking backwards very slowly. A rustling is heard in the grass, first off to your left, and then behind you. You’ve walked into a trap – something is hunting you. Something hidden by the long grass.

Spoiler: show

Yeah, Jim can get a bonus action die for the mutated tuxedo birds comment…

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on November 30, 2010, 07:17:21 AM
"Welllll sheee-yit," Alice drawled as she looked around, ready to leap skyward.  "Aye geyess it's time ta see these tuxedo monster birds."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 01, 2010, 12:46:16 PM
Marcus quickly backpedals a few steps scanning the area looking for a clearing.  "Get clear of the grass!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 01, 2010, 02:48:17 PM
Hondo calmly draws a knife. "It's too late for that, mang. We in it," he adds absently before putting the blade in his teeth pirate style and assuming a ready position.

Spoiler: show

I assume the baddies' Ambush is blown or we'd be in a surprise round right now, so I try and put my back to the group so I can command the widest view, and ready an action to grapple the first thing I can reach, if possible, before it stabs, claws, or bites me.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 01, 2010, 03:40:22 PM
"Finally, some action. Let's see how many we can kill before they run away..." Franklin pulls out and starts the autoaxe while taking a deep breath, stoking the fire in his belly until it threatens to consume his heart.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 01, 2010, 10:29:47 PM
Elsie starts backing into the middle of the group, looking very scared...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 02, 2010, 01:32:32 AM
You suddenly realize how very quiet it is, and the only noise other than the wind and the rustling grass is the hammering of your own heartbeat in your ears. Then, everything seems to happen at once. An explosion of movement erupts from the grass to your left and behind you, and a pair of huge, muscled reptilian figures (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101105100624/fallout/images/9/9c/Deathclaw.png) rush the group. They dwarf all of you – even Hondo – and they close on your position at sprinting pace, claws outstretched ready to rake and slash.

Spoiler: show

The creatures begin within 30 ft. of you; one to your left and the other behind you.

The following people have weapons readied:
• Alice: Machinegun
• Frank: Autoaxe
• Hondo: Knife

Combat begins – actions please!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 02, 2010, 02:19:38 AM
Franklin finishes breathing in, and expels it all in a shout full of anger and bloodlust.

Spoiler: show

Full Action become enraged for 2d4+2=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787427/) rounds. STR +3, CON +3 and gain enraged condition.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 02, 2010, 03:20:04 AM
"Where are your bow ties?!" Alice screamed with startled fear, crouched behind the massive rifle, drew bead on the monster in front of her, and fired twice in rapid succession.  The earth shattering kabooms pushed her back, her boot shod feet leaving furrows in the tall grass.

Spoiler: show

Attack    1d20+5 → [15,5] = (20) +1 for CQB Basics = 21
Damage  2d12+2 → [12,6,2] = (20) AP10
Athletics 1d20+7 → [18,7] = (25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787431/)

Not going arse over tea kettle has its moments, lets try this again.   :)

Attack   1d20+5 → [9,5] = (14) + 7 = 21 +1 for CQB Basics = 22
Damage  2d12+2 → [11,10,2] = (23) AP10
Athletics 1d20+7 → [19,7] = (26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787433/)
I don't think that 14 is going to do it, and this seems like a good spot for that Tuxedo Bird Action Die.
Action Die (1d4=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787434/)
Action Die EXPLOSION (1d4=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787439/)

Assuming those hit, wow, Lady Joan is BRUTAL.
I threw in the Athletics check to fail and toss Alice about.  That didn't go quite as planned.  ::)

I presume these naked tuxedo monsters are not flat footed?  (If they are the 1st shot gets a bonus 1d6 Sneak Attack Damage.)

Good call to Lady Friday for reminding me about the Takedown. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 02, 2010, 10:39:37 AM
Hondo meets the charge head-on, barreling bodily (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dORIEVuWlLI&feature=related) into a creature, the impact audibly disturbing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhQhKWOZmk).

Spoiler: show

I'd really like to do some kind of running Pummel if possible, in a knock-your-ass-out kind of way.
Pummel 1d20+9=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787697/)
Subdual Damage     3d4+15=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787699/).

Assuming that's not possible, then Hondo will move to it and shank it like a prisonyard bitch.
Knife 1d20+8=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787700/)
In case that's a miracle hit (they are pretty big), damage is 1d6+6=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787701/) lethal, AP 1, bleed.

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 02, 2010, 01:15:51 PM
Marcus only mutters, "May God help us" as he moves between Elsie and one of the horrors and braces himself for the creatures charge.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Free:  5 foot step towards the one Hondo didn't already charge.
Full Action:  Ready a Kick Action with the Cheap Shot Trick targeting Strength.

Well, rolled a 4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2787852/) for the attack, so I won't bother with the rest of the stuff.

Kick reduces my initiative count by 2.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 03, 2010, 01:57:01 AM
Elsie screams in terror, drawing a massive handgun and pumping off a shot by hard-learned reflex rather than lethal intention.

Spoiler: show

Half Action: Ready Weapon
Half Action: Attack 1d20+4=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2788577/)
- damage: 3d6+1=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2788578/)

MAXIMUM DAMAGE!

Ahem... and a DC 19 reflex save or get knocked on its ass...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 03, 2010, 09:19:58 AM
The two creatures bear down on you with startling speed. The one to the left bears down on Hondo, and it slashes at him with massive claw – he bats it aside, but the strength in the thing’s limb makes its muscles feel like steel cables…

The other creatures charges into the back of the group and pounces on Frank, frenziedly slashing it him and tearing gashes in his armor. Franks bellows in rage, and as he readies himself to attack, a .50 slug hits the thing in the shoulder, knocking it clear off its feet. As Elsie realizes that she’s actually hit the damn thing, Tex cowers behind her, tail between his legs.

As Hondo battles back and forth with the first beast, Alice levels her home-made cannon at it and fires… the deafening report echoes around the clearing as the reptilian is knocked staggering. It claws at the wound and screeches in frustration, so Alice fires again. The second shot hits it square in the face, exploding its head like a ripe melon.

Hondo wipes the gore from his face and stares at the headless corpse as it twitches, and then topples. With only a momentary pause, he turns in time to see Marcus repeatedly kicking the other creature. It tries to rise, so Hondo jams his knife into the side of its neck and twists. A gout of blood squirts out of the wound, and with a gargle it sinks to the ground and lies still.


Spoiler: show

Initiative
Reptilian #1 27 (appears uninjured)
Reptilian #2 26 (appears uninjured)
Frank 24 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Elsie 14 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
Tex 6 (appears uninjured)
Alice: 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
Marcus 5 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo: 5 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)

Round 1

Reptilian #1 moves over to and attacks Hondo. It misses.

Reptilian #2 moves over to and attacks Frank. It hits, causing 14 damage (reduced to 12 by damage reduction). Frank also suffers 9 stress damage.

Frank activates his Berserker Basics feat, becoming enraged. He will lose this condition in 8 rounds.

Elsie draws and fires her gun at Reptilian #2. She hits, causing 19 damage. Reptilian #2 fails its damage save and its takedown save. It is knocked prone, and is now flat-footed.

Tex runs behind Elsie, shaking violently.
 
Alice attacks Reptilian #1 twice. Both attacks hit, causing 20 and 23 damage. Reptilian #1 fails the first damage save, but passes its takedown save. It also fails the second damage save and is killed.

Marcus takes a 5 ft. step over to Reptilian #2 and attacks it with a kick. He misses, and his initiative is reduced by 2.

Hondo moves over to and attacks Reptilian #2. The attack hits, causing 11 damage. Reptilian #2 fails its damage save and dies.

Well that was fucking disappointing…

Combat Ends

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 03, 2010, 10:32:44 AM
"What the fuck, mang?!" Hondo nudges a creature with his foot. "What the fuck are these?"

He fumbles for a bandanna, and uses it to help get the blood out of his eyes.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 03, 2010, 10:45:30 AM
Alice cradled Lady Joan, nuzzling her rifle as she worked her jaw and popped her ears.  "I don't think they are those tuxedo birds."  She stepped to Franklin's side and examined the gashes in his armor.  "Maybe we want to save their claws?"  She terned her gaze to the remaining head.  "And I bet that head would make a really nice helmet..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 03, 2010, 01:57:57 PM
After scanning around the field and listening for any more of the beasts, Marcus moves over to Frank.  "We should get somewhere safer and get that cleaned out.  There's no telling what kind of diseases these things may be carrying."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 03, 2010, 09:17:26 PM
Seeing all the enemies felled in short order, Franklin calms down, and immediately begins cursing like a sailor. The topics of interest go from the animals, to the hole they tore in his side, to the hole they tore in his jacket, and finally when Marcus mentions diseases he adds some choice words about that subject as well. Finally he calms down enough to agree with Marcus. "Yeah, getting it cleaned sounds like a good idea, it stings like all hell."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 04, 2010, 12:00:13 AM
Elsie, hyperventilating, walks over to the one with the intact head. She points her hand cannon at it and fires, shooting it in the head. The noise is startlingly loud in the middle of the group.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 04, 2010, 07:28:51 AM
Aliced jumped at the gunshot.  "What the crap?" she shouted as she turned, nearly hitting Franklin with Lady Joan's barrel.  "Elsie?!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 04, 2010, 07:54:02 AM
"Whoa, Elsie," Hondo murmurs soothingly, almost like calming a wild horse. He puts his hand calmly on her pistol, and gently eases it down toward the holster. "It's ok. They're gone or whatever. You can put it away. Put it away. There you go."

While he helps Elsie put the gun away he looks for help to Marcus, who's way better at this than he is. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 04, 2010, 11:02:53 PM
The grass waves in the breeze, which nips at exposed skin. Dark clouds are beginning to roll in.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 04, 2010, 11:42:05 PM
Marcus studies the wound briefly, but realizes there isn't much he can do about it out here.  Noticing the darkening sky, Marcus curses.  "Damn.  We need to finish following these tracks and now.  As soon as that rain rolls in, they'll be washed away."  Marcus fishes a small jar from his pack and hands it to Frank.  Once we find some shelter out of the rain, I'll patch you up right, but for now, apply a little bit of this.  It'll halt the worst of the pain and itching."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 05, 2010, 10:19:54 AM
"Do those clouds mean that it will soon precipitate liquid water?"  Without waiting for a reply she turned to Franklin who seems to be taking his near messy dismemberment with good grace.  "Can you cut off the hands and head so we can take them with us while we find shelter?"

Spoiler: show
How badly cut up is Franklin's armor?  He lost a third of his vitality in one hit.  Jim wants to make deathclaw gauntlets and make the good head into a helmet.  Alyssandra seems to obsess a bit over her headgear...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 06, 2010, 04:17:05 AM
Franklin smears the stuff Marcus gave him liberally, until he gets the request about cutting off bodyparts. "I can do that. Shouldn't take long..." He takes the axe and start chopping, like it was firewood and not monster parts he was working with.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 08, 2010, 02:56:47 AM
After Alice and Marcus finish their grisly task, you set about trying to find the children’s tracks. You cross the wide open meadow, heading north, deeper into the Tangle as the tree line looms closer and closer.

As you approach the trees, Elsie freezes in place. You turn to look at her and notice a tiny point of red light centered on the middle of her torso. The light on your pip-boy radios blinks to indicate an incoming signal. Hesitantly tuning in, the speakers on all of them crackle for a moment, and then a voice says
*click* [That’s quite close enough, thank you] *click*

You figure the red dot originates from a laser sight, and shooter must be secreted in the trees up ahead. The voice continues *click* [You’re not Enclave, and you don’t look like raiders, so what precisely is your business in the Tangle?] *click*

Info for Alice
Spoiler: show

The shooter is definitely above ground level, probably in the tree canopy. If he keeps talking and you can spread the group out, you may be able to use the Pip-Boy signals to triangulate his position…
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 08, 2010, 07:19:52 AM
"Spread out.  Slowly," Alice whispered as she crouched and swung Lady Joan up to her shoulder, looking through the low power scope searching for the "sniper." "And Elsie, can you talk him down before he gets hurt?"

Spoiler: show
It's overcast so the laser is fairly bright.  The lack of flicker means there aren't any leaves, so a dark hole in a shrubbery.

Notice or Search? Notice is +5 Search is +2 I don't think Alice's Tactics is high enough for a synergy, but I'll take what I can get. (1d20=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2794837/)  Somewhere in the 6-12 range, not enough to see the guy, yet.

I suppose I should wonder if Alice has been noticed, but that she has is her working assumption.  Does anyone else have any Blend?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 08, 2010, 10:21:08 AM
Hondo takes a step away from Elsie, watching to see what she says.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 08, 2010, 10:50:32 AM
Without moving a muscle, Elsie says "We're looking for two missing children who in danger. Have you seen any?" She stays surprisingly calm while saying this...

Spoiler: show

Impress/Persuasion to get him to answer the question: 1d20+14=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2795027/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 08, 2010, 10:55:36 AM
There is a momentary pause, and then *click* [Yeah, I saw a coupla kids not far from here just the other day. If you tell me where you looted that pretty necklace from, I might even tell you where] *click*

You glance reflexively at the necklace in question - it's Elsie's brotherhood holotags
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 08, 2010, 11:00:38 AM
Elsie scowls. "I'll have you know i'm a Junior Scribe in the Brotherhood of Steel, apprenticed to Senior Scribe Jim Clements. I worked damned hard to earn these things! Now are you gonna help us, or shoot us?" She actually looks genuinely annoyed.

Spoiler: show

I'll improve his disposition by 1 grade with my origin ability.

Then I think... maybe a Bluff check? I'm not sure i'm a legit member of the brotherhood, and Elsie's not 100% confident about this whole deal yet: 1d20+11=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2795030/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 08, 2010, 11:29:51 AM
There is a rustling in the trees up ahead and... something... drops out of the canopy and lands in the long grass. The lower branches and grass parts as something unseen advances out of the tree line, and suddenly the air shimmers and crackles as an armored figure (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/073/2/8/Bound_Souls_Sniper_by_mohzart.jpg) seems to materialize in front of you. He holds his rifle across his chest and nods at Elsie. "I'm Knight Deakins, out of West Point. I saw two children - a boy and a girl - yesterday about a block north of here. The girl was older and i'd say they were related. They were pretty well tooled for kids. Anyway, I tailed them for a while to keep an eye on them, but they were snagged by one of the snatch teams from the caves." He shrugs, seemingly apologetically, but its hard to tell with the helmet. "Sorry. Anyway, where is Jim and his team? They haven't checked in for weeks. I was sent to look for them."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 08, 2010, 12:47:24 PM
Lady Joan tracked the knight as he dropped from the tree and nearly slipped from Alice's grasp as Knight Deakins appeared in front of them.

Assured by the friendly greeting Elsie received that she would not be attacked, she dropped Lady Joan to a low ready and moved quietly around Knight Deakins, examining his stealthy armor in great detail.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 08, 2010, 03:14:56 PM
"What caves?" Hondo asks flatly.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 10, 2010, 01:08:20 AM
Deakins glances at Alice as she circles him, and then turns to Hondo. "Shouldn't you be banging rocks together in the gutter somewhere?" He shakes his head in disbelief, and then asks Elsie "Where'd you pick up this freak? Talk about damage to the gene pool..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 10, 2010, 02:25:18 AM
Elsie's face contorts in confusion, and then anger. "Wait a god-damn minute! Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?!" She starts poking Deakins in the chest. "This 'freak' is from the same gene-pool as me, you fucking fascist! He's saved my life more times than I care to remember and grew up around technology that you can only dream of! If anything it's a miracle you even know how to wipe your own ass - how dare you speak to him like that!" Tex starts circling Deakins, growling quietly. The image would be comical if you didn't know what the little monster was capable of...

Spoiler: show

Intimidate/Dominate (+1 synergy from Manipulate): 1d20+6=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797241/)
Action die (x2 thanks to Charismatic): 1d4=4, 1d4=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797242/)
Explody!: 1d4=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797243/)

Total: 20+1+4+1=26
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 10, 2010, 04:49:12 AM
Franklin cracks both his knuckles and his neck in a half threatening, half annoyed fashion. "Yeah, you might wanna watch what you say, people might think you're looking for a fight or something..."

Spoiler: show

Gonna assist Elsie's Intimidate check there... not gonna do much as she's already got a synergy bonus, but hey, I might get a threat... Nope. 1d20+10=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797335/). Oh well...

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 10, 2010, 05:39:07 AM
Alice ignored the chatter as she inspected the senior knight's armor while Elsie kept him talking, looking for the emergency catch that medics can use to open the armor to treat the wounded.

The little lever found, she grasped it firmly.
  (So if he moves to fast to knock her away he'll pop the latch.)  "Here it is Hondo!  The shiniest little rock!"

Spoiler: show
Notice check to find that catch.  Perhaps a synergy for Alice's Super Science focus?
1d20+6 → [16,6] = (22)
 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797443/)
Super Science Synergy brings it to 24, and I think I want an action die on this one.
Action Die 1d4 → [2] = (2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2797478/) + 22 / 24 = 24 / 26

Is that enough to find the emergency catch or do I need to spend more Action Dice?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 10, 2010, 11:26:01 PM
As Alice grabs the quick-release-tab, Deakins freezes in place. He sighs, audibly, and for a few moments no-one moves or says anything. Then, he very slowly reaches up to his collar and presses a button. *click* [No, hold your fire] *click* Lowering his hand back down, he says "I apologise for insulting your companion, scribe, but if the savage behind me doesn't let go of that quick-release-tab, the shiney red dot on the back of her head is going to turn into a great big exit wound on the front of her head..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 11, 2010, 04:51:46 PM
"Be cool, Alice," Hondo warns. "This guy's not worth it. We need to find the kids, not get dead 'cuz he got a big mouth."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 12, 2010, 08:35:27 AM
"It's plenty cool Hondo," Alice piped from the other side of Knight Deakins.  "His buddy wastes me, he'll be facing you butt nekkid."  Her giggle was full of malice and mirth as she wiggled her finger in the release. "Never mind that my head won't stop that bullet.  But I guess they didn't cover cause and effect in asshole school did they?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 12, 2010, 10:54:02 PM
Deakins looks down at Alice. "You done?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 12, 2010, 11:34:24 PM
"Fair question.  Can you be trusted enough that I can let you go?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 12, 2010, 11:49:44 PM
He shakes his head in amusement. "You're the one that escalated beyond verbal banter. Can you be trusted?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 13, 2010, 12:46:39 AM
"I'm just a savage who can find the pretty rocks." She grinned. "Shiny suit though, does the emergency opening do permanent damage?  I don't want a repeat of the Mr. Handy incident."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 13, 2010, 04:39:26 AM
Elsie groans. "That's enough Alice. He gets the point. Now, where are the children?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 13, 2010, 08:35:40 AM
Her hand still on the tab, Alice peeked around the knight's armored bulk.  "But he wants to come with and help the giant claw thing hunters find the children?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 13, 2010, 10:16:06 AM
"Alice, his invisible homie in the bushes is just gonna start shooting or some shit," Hondo says. "Let it go, girl. It's cool."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 13, 2010, 11:11:42 AM
"But guys...?  Bah.  Fine, but he's on you."  She settled the emergency catch back in place, making sure it won't accidentally come undone before triggering the flight pack, disappearing in a cloud of dust and grass, dropping and hiding to sulk and cover her friends.

Spoiler: show
30-40 feet from Knight Deakins, off to one side, sorta behind Hondo.  Listening on the Pip-Boy and totally sulking.

Could still be worse for everyone, I think. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 13, 2010, 02:57:30 PM
"My apologies, Deakins.  She gets really defensive over her friends.  Now, we parted ways with the scribes you are looking for back at that republic township.  Can you please tell us where this cave is located.  If the children are still alive we need to get them back.  If they aren't, we need to get back whatever we can."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 14, 2010, 08:11:20 AM
Elsie nods. "Yeah, the scribes are back at the Empire State Building. Now, where are those kids?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 14, 2010, 10:26:11 AM
Hondo's got nothing further to say to Deakins, and waits patiently.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 15, 2010, 09:38:04 AM
After a forced and mostly unproductive conversation with Deakins, you follow his directions and head north into the trees. He apparently saw the children yesterday, picked up by what he refers to as a 'snatch team'; a group of unknowns wearing powered armor of an unrecognized make and model that have been seen over the past month, sallying forth from a network of caves in the Tangle. They have abducted others, he claims, but after handing over these meagre details he turns and walks away. He obviously knows more, but simply doesn't want to tell you.

This far into the Tangle, the brush becomes nearly impassable, but luckily enough you soon stumble across a cave entrance hidden in the trees (http://www.uwec.edu/jolhm/eh/below/Images/Mammoth_Cave_Entrance.jpg). The steps leading down to the cave mouth are covered in moss and look very slippery, and the hand rail is rusted nearly to dust. The area is littered with bones; most are old and bleached, but some are fresh and bloody.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 15, 2010, 10:04:44 AM
Alice hung back from the darkness, scanning the mouth of the cave through Lady Joan's scope and the surrounding area for signs of the children and hostile actors, all the while bitterly lamenting the non-functioning status of her thermal glasses.

Spoiler: show
Tactics and Notice checks to see about where ne'er do wells would be lurking and if any are about.  Those should be GM rolls?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 16, 2010, 05:20:41 PM
Hondo picks up a fresh bone and studies it.

Spoiler: show

Knowledge 1d20+4=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2805841/), maybe with synergy from Survival?
and speaking of that
Survival/Track 1d20+6=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2805869/), to see if the bones were thrown out here from inside or if a whole meal was had right here.


As he thinks on it, he says, more or less to the group, "I 'preciate you guys sticking up for me with Deakins or whatever. But words are just words, y'know? He had a homie in the bushes he had to look all badass for and shit, so he ran his mouth. It happens. No reason to eat a bullet over it. Besides," he sniffs the bone, "I can take care of myself with cocksuckers like that."

He drops the bone and wipes his hands on the hem of his sarape as he continues, "Now, when we go in this cave, we goin' into somebody's crib, like a gang and shit. It's their turf, and they gonna strut up on us for sure, and prob'ly talk a bunch of shit. If they do, everybody be cool. Maybe Elsie can talk the kids out or whatever, and we can get the fuck outta here. 'Course, they could just start shootin' or some other bullshit, and if they do then we'll have to kill every motherfucker in there, but let's try and be polite or whatever first, a'ight?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 16, 2010, 10:36:11 PM
Elsie looks at the cave entrance, obviously not impressed. Tex starts barking at the cave, his little voice echoing back at him. "What is it, boy?" Elsie crouches down by Tex. He looks agitated. Well, more agitated than usual...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 17, 2010, 01:56:45 AM
Marcus winks , pats Hondo on the shoulder and says with a grin, ."Don't mention it buddy, I wasn't sticking up for you anyways.  I really just didn't want to get shot again."

Then his mood turns serious.  "I know what you're saying, though.  This is their turf and they have something we want.  Being belligerent to them isn't going to get us anything except shot."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 17, 2010, 04:24:33 AM
"Dunno if people who leave bones lying around their front door are gonna be particularly friendly to begin with. It'd be nice if we could get this over with without a fight, but I'm sure as shit gonna be preparing for one."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 17, 2010, 06:28:05 AM
"Why does it smell like the filter room?"  Alice wrinkled her nose at the smell and backed away from the mouth of the cave, still trying to look all around. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 18, 2010, 07:36:47 AM
"It's not that bad," Hondo shrugs, then thinks again. "Okay, maybe it is. Tex seems to like it, I guess."

He looks closely at another bone. "Looks like these got thrown out here. If a thing got all eaten and shit out here there'd be a bigger mess. Yeah, animal," he sets the bone down and picks up another, "animal," another, and this one he thinks carefully on before handing it to Marcus with a questioning look. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 18, 2010, 01:51:56 PM
Marcus' eyes narrow as he peers at the bone and the color drains from his face.  "We may need to rethink our approach.  This is a rib from a human and that" he says, pointing to another bone just inside the cave entrance "is a human jaw-bone.  Either humans don't occupy this cave, or the people living here are cannibals.  If the kids are even still alive, they are in very serious danger."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 18, 2010, 11:27:12 PM
"Well, let's get goin' then," Hondo pulls a knife and starts carefully into the cave.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 19, 2010, 02:30:49 AM
Marcus follows right behind Hondo into the cave.  "There's still a chance they'll talk first.  If they do, let 'em.  They might give us some information that could help us."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 19, 2010, 06:40:37 AM
First to clamber down the slope is Hondo. The big man easily navigates his way down, spotting that the slope looks almost as if it has been deliberately scraped clean. Even with a lack of rope and other kit, it's a fairly easy climb. Marcus follows him, managing most of the thirty-foot slope without a hitch. However, near the bottom he loses his grip, sliding the last five feet to land in a crumpled heap. Luckily, his only injury is his bruised pride. Matters are made substantially worse when Frank practially slides down, landing neatly on his feet next to him.

Elsie stands at the top, looking warily at the slope with Tex held tightly under one arm. Before anyone has a chance to say anything, she appears to simply step out into mid-air. As she pitches forward, she lets out a piercing shriek and flails her arms. She turns in mid-air, hitting the slope on her back and sliding down head-first. There's a moment of confusion at the bottom as none of the guys know whether to try and catch her, or simply dive out of the way. They settle for bumping into each other like the three stooges shortly before Elsie cannons into them, knocking them all sprawling like flapping bowling pins.

One the debacle at the bottom of the slope is done with, Alice manages to lightly hover down to the bottom of the slope, touching down with a whoosh-whirr as the fan-jets on her backpack cycle down. Tex looks up at her from his perch atop Elsie and yaps.

Minutes later, you head into the darnkess of the cave. There's a thick, sickly-sweet odour here that catches in the back of your throat. You all activate your pip-boy lights as the tunnel rounds a bend and the light almost completely disappears. You follow the tunnel (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bruggers/uploaded_images/Dixon-Cave-2008-1-734852.jpg) for a good fifty feet before it cants downwards at a fairly steep angle. However, there are so many foot and hand-holds that it would take a doofus bigger than Elsie to fall down this one...

After following several switchbacks that feel distinctly artifical, the tunnel opens out into a large cavern (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Mammoth_Cave_Western_Australia.jpg).

Spoiler: show

Having rolled a '1' on the first check (and missing the DC of 14 by half a mile...) Elsie falls, taking 11 falling damage. However, since it's a slope rather than a fall, i'll halve that to 6. It has AP 6 which is sufficient to ignore any armor.

And yes, those structures in the second picture can be seen from where you're standing.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 19, 2010, 11:18:31 AM
Hondo looks around for signs of life, a trail to the structures, and how the place is being lit.

Spoiler: show

Survival     1d20+6=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2808797/)
Is there a dude on the near platform like in the picture?  ;)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 19, 2010, 12:44:35 PM
"Bloody hell, this ain't right," Alice muttered as she moved quietly down the tunnel, keeping an eye on the dwindling sunlight behind them.

She hung back, fading into the rocks at the mouth of the cavern, as the group entered the cavern, looking around and knowing that she won't be able to identify all the ne'er do wells lurking spots.


Spoiler: show
Tactics for a heads up on where bad guys would hide.  1d20+4 → [15,4] = (19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2808849/)
Sneaking along just behind the group. 1d20+7 → [20,7] = (27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2808854/)  Bloody hell that was a waste of a 20.  Or was it?  Is there any benefit to activating the threat?  Millenium hand shrimp, I'll just activate it and disappear into the gloom.  Can Alice use her Pip-Boy to let her friends know she's right nearby even if they can't see and hear her anymore?

NYC is on a chunk of granite, so these caverns were built by someone.  Would Alice's Geology Interest help her pick out where the hidden access tunnels for "the underground experience" are lurking?  (Or are you rejecting my reality, and there is enough limestone under Central Park for cave system like this to be natural?   ;) )
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on December 19, 2010, 03:12:01 PM
Franklin moves forward cautiously, looking out for ambushes and traps, while trusting the others to cover the 'everything else' angle.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 20, 2010, 01:05:26 PM
"Hold on one moment, Franklin", Marcus says as he steps forward and shines the light on the ground, scanning for signs of what exactly may live in here.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Checking for tracks.  I am mainly looking to see if it looks like boot tracks or if there are more of those lizard looking tracks.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on December 23, 2010, 10:47:19 PM
"Ooooh pretty..." Elsie mutters to herself. "I hope there's no more of those big things with claws down here..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 24, 2010, 09:52:55 AM
There are no tracks here at all, and aside from the structures up ahead, no sign of habitation at all. As you approach the first set of stairs, you all suddenly spot a number of figures (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090525055914/fallout/images/e/ee/Enclave_Deathclaw.png) standing motionless in the shadows, absolutely silent. They make no move to attack, and the only sound in the cavern is their very shallow breathing. As you slowly back away a few steps, their eyes follow you.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 24, 2010, 10:47:39 AM
Alice stayed in the gloom of the cavern's entrance, overwatching for her friends.  Upon noticing the figures, she began examining the apparati on their heads through Joan's small scope.

Spoiler: show
Notice with Super Science interest to figure out what those things on their heads are?

Maybe a Science check to see if there is some way to make the mind control hats work for us?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 26, 2010, 12:45:33 PM
"What the fuck are those things on their heads, mang?" Hondo whispers.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on December 27, 2010, 01:55:52 PM
"I don't like this.  I don't like this at all.  Are those lasers on their heads?  Hey, Alice.  You still have that Stealth Boy?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 27, 2010, 02:30:16 PM
A soft whisper floated from Marcus' Pip-Boy:  "I don't think those are lasers on their heads, and no, it fell apart in Brooklyn."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on December 29, 2010, 09:53:16 AM
"So...what are they, then?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on December 29, 2010, 09:58:00 AM
Again the whisper of Alice's voice issued from Marcus' Pip-Boy. "Them's some more bow-tie less tuxedo bird things with the claws.  But they have some funny things on their heads.  I wonder if that's why they ain't movin'?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on December 30, 2010, 10:13:09 PM
As Alice finishes talking, with an alarmingly loud clunk and creak, a pressure door (http://www.freemanmarine.com/_GalleryFiles/BulkheadDoors/3.jpg) that was previously concealed in the shadows on the top landing is slowly pushed open from the inside. As you all momentarily panic and try to decide what to do, a figure in an odd-looking suit (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081123171056/fallout/images/8/8c/Fallout_3_Enclave_Scientist_Armor.jpg) steps out and closes the door behind him.

While his back is turned, you literally have moments to decide what you're going to do.

Spoiler: show

By 'moments' I mean '1 round'...

Replies by Jan 2nd please.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 01, 2011, 08:29:24 AM
"This is going worse than the Mister Handy day," Alice muttered into her Pip-Boy as she shifted Lady Joan's attention to the suited figure, looking him and his gear over.

Spoiler: show
Must.  Not.  Metagame.

In other news, Alice is Braced and Aimed, tracking this scientist guy from her spot in the darkness.  She is badly torn between wanting to kill these penguins, and wanting to talk to this guy.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on January 01, 2011, 02:26:51 PM
Franklin doesn't have a clue about what's going on, so he waits and sees what's going to happen before reacting. Not feeling very safe at the moment, however, he gets ready to jump out of the way if anyone acts threateningly.

Spoiler: show

Assume Total Defense.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 03, 2011, 10:39:46 AM
The guy's too far away to just cack over the head, and doing that would be directly counter to his words outside the cave anyway, so Hondo plays it cool, waiting silently to see where the guy goes.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on January 05, 2011, 02:13:21 AM
Elsie pulls a panicked expression that would be funny if it weren't for the situation. She scoops up Tex and tiptoes over to the shadows.

Spoiler: show

Sneak: 1d20+2=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2827122/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 06, 2011, 06:51:00 AM
The oddly-suited figure turns around as he draws a strange-looking hand unit from his belt. He taps a few buttons, and it is only when he looks up and sees Frank, Marcus, Alice and Hondo that his hand freezes in mid button-push. You're sure that if you could see his face, he'd definitely look surprised, confused and scared all at once.

It seems that he's staring straight at Alice's huge cannon-thing which is quite clearly levelled at him. He very slowly puts his hands up, and gingerly steps backward toward the pressure door. The modified reptilians continue to watch you from the shadows, but their breath is starting to come in ragged, snorting gasps, almost as if they want to attack but some invisible leash is holding them in check.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 06, 2011, 07:07:40 AM
Alice held her pose, waiting for someone else to talk this guy down, and wanting to know what that hand unit does.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 06, 2011, 10:12:16 AM
"Be cool, mang," says Hondo. "We can all be cool, right?"

He looks at Elsie or somebody, as he's said all he could think of to say.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on January 07, 2011, 03:25:14 AM
Realising that he may well cut and run, Elsie opts to distract the new arrival in the only way she knows how. With the grace of a cat, she sidles out of the shadows and purrs "Hey college boy - I bet you don't see moves like this in your chess club..." She unzips the front of her jumpsuit and pulls it wide open with both hands, revealing the contents to the bewildered figure. She cocks one of her eyebrows at him and smiles.

Spoiler: show

Charm III: I have captivating.

DC 13 Will save or he's fixated on me...

Failing that, Impress/Persuation (hold still!) 1d20+14=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2829565/)

I swear, this better work!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 07, 2011, 02:51:29 PM
Marcus raises an eyebrow as Elsie gives the guy both barrels, wondering what happened to the Elsie he knew back in the Vault.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on January 07, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
Seeing the guy in the suit not being particularly threatening towards them, Franklin turns his attentions towards the beasties in case they do more than stand there.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 07, 2011, 03:45:40 PM
"See?" Hondo asks the suited figure, as though Elsie gets topless all the time. "We all gonna be cool, right?"

He grins for a moment, wondering if Elsie's got anything on under her jumpsuit, and then hoping she doesn't and will turn around, and then feeling a little guilty about wanting to see Elsie's highbeams, and then just putting the whole thing out of his head because it's too much to think about and there's shit to do. He asks offhandedly "what *is* this place, anyways?"

Spoiler: show

Back me up, socially-skilled peoples.   ;)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 09, 2011, 12:05:16 AM
The man stands stock still, staring breathlessly at Elsie. In response to Hondo's question, he manages to stutter "You... um... y-you shouldn't... that is... you can't be here!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 09, 2011, 06:38:45 AM
Alice shifted a hair in her crouch against the cave wall, Lady Joan's scope shifting up to peer through the glass covering the man's face.  (Or catch a glimpse of the headlights that have him completely blinded, there are no bad outcomes.)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 10, 2011, 04:40:04 AM
"Our apologies for barging in on you like this.  We are looking for two children that got lost in this area.  As soon as we find out what happened to these children and recover them, we'll be all to happy to vacate the area.  Have you seen or heard anything about them?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 11, 2011, 01:23:36 PM
The stammering technician blurts out "No no no, you shouldn't be here! I need to..." He starts fumbling with a radio attached to his belt, whilst trying to stare at Elsie.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 11, 2011, 01:48:43 PM
Marcus will turn to Frank and Hondo, cock his head slightly towards the other man in the suit and whispers, "Let's get that radio in..."  Then, using his body to block their adversaries' view, starts counting down with his fingers.

  3..
..2..
..1..
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 11, 2011, 02:27:06 PM
"Git 'im boys," Alice whispered to her nearby companions.  "I'll keep the penguins from giving you any trouble."  She and Joan shifted their focus to the deathclaws, waiting for one to make a move, particulalry thweir giant clawed feet.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 11, 2011, 05:05:09 PM
Hondo waits for Marcus' One, and then leaps at the technician.

Spoiler: show

Unfortunately, at 50' away all Hondo can do is close. Unless he can make a free-action intimidate check to make the guy freeze while Hondo closes in. Maybe? Alternately, I'm willing to spend an action die here for a narrative "the technician freezes in terror" moment.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on January 11, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
Knowing he can't close the distance before he manages to hit the radio button, Franklin raises the axe in a throwing position, aims it towards the technician, and growls as threateningly as he can: "Don't, or I'll take your arm!"

Spoiler: show

Making an Intimidate check to make him pause long enough for the others to get there. 1d20+10=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2836383/), 1d4=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2836386/), 1d4=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2836387/), 1d4=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2836388/)+1d4=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2836389/), total: 28.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 13, 2011, 07:35:14 AM
The technician stands rooted to the spot in confusion. As Hondo bears down on him, he manages to blurt out a stammered "W... whu?!" just before a fist the size of his head knocks him unconscious. He hits the ground hard enough to bounce slightly, and the hand-set spins away from him across the floor.

Spoiler: show

Ok, he's fixated so he can't really respond at all until he's attacked. Unfortunately, his damage save is so awful that Hondo will likely smack the snot out of him with one punch.

For the sake of my sanity, i'll rule he's just KtfO.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 13, 2011, 07:47:42 AM
"Where did that radio thing go?" Alice asked as she approached the unconscious scientist, Joan in her arms as she kept an uncertain eye on the oddly chapeaued deathclaws.  "I think it might be some sort of controller for those penguins."

Spoiler: show
Notice check for the handset radio thing.

Where is that handset? 1d20 + 5 → [11,5] = (16)
 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2838419/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 13, 2011, 10:30:27 AM
"Okay," Hondo says, turning back to glance at the others. He realizes immediately that Elsie hasn't covered 'em up, and he turns away again immediately, and kind of shuffles his feet, embarrassed. "So, uh," he says, to the pressure door because he won't turn around, "should we carry this guy outside and talk to him some, or what?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 14, 2011, 03:07:35 AM
After finding the box, Alice carefully set Lady Joan down, squatted against the wall of the cave, and gave the device her full attention.  "Hmm." She examined her Pip-Boy and fiddled for a moment.  Her Pip-Boy now set to make her a friend of these deathclaws she looked up. "Okay guys!  I think I, um, yeah..." Her voice trailed off as she was stunned by Elsie's headlights.

The clunk of her helmet against the cave wall pulled Alice back, and she shook her head, trying to clear the dazzles from her field of vision.  With her eyes closed she turned her head back to Elsie. 
"If I've got this right, I can set our Pip-Boys to tell those penguins we're friends."

Spoiler: show
SCIENCE!! 1d20+7 → [14,7] = (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2839880/)  With the focus on Super-Science, is that should be enough to set our Pip-Boys to respond to IFF inquiries as friend, right?  Also, does unconscious science boy here have a Pip-Boy?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on January 14, 2011, 05:44:03 AM
Elsie turns away from the others and zips her jumpsuit back up. Once she's done, she regards the unconscious man with a smirk. "Too easy. Now what about these penguin things? Maaaan, the radiation made them a lot bigger. Poor things lost all of their feathers too."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 14, 2011, 06:25:33 AM
Alice listened to Elsie zip up and stood with a relieved and disappointed sigh.  "Ok, so who doesn't want to be eaten by mutated penguins?  If you want to be friends with these guys, let me adjust your Pip-Boy to their IFF code."

Announcement made, Alice put the little box in one of her many pockets.

Spoiler: show
After we go into the lab, with Mr Sciencepants here, Alice is going to poke more at the box, with an eye to keeping these controlled deathclaws at bay by saving all the IFF codes.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on January 14, 2011, 07:19:25 AM
Franklin lets Alice adjust his pip-boy, as death by mutated penguin is rather low on the list of ways he'd like to die. "Right, that was certainly... something. What now? Poke around in there? Should we send Elsie in first, as distraction?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 14, 2011, 11:37:19 AM
Marcus steps up besides Elsie and places a hand on her shoulder, giving her a stern look.  "You never cease to amaze me, Elsie.  What happened to that innocent woman I knew in the vault."  Shaking his head, he turns to check on the condition of the unconscious scientist, saying over his shoulder, "I'll trust you still have your underwear on under that jumpsuit."

Stepping up the to the crumpled form on the ground he adds, "We should get out of here.  Let's bring him with us and question him outside.  If he has friends, they may come looking for him, soon."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 14, 2011, 12:40:13 PM
"Outside?  Don't we want to find out what's behind door number one before his friends wonder where he is?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 14, 2011, 10:57:31 PM
"I dunno, mang," Hondo wonders aloud while Alice adjusts his Pip-Boy. "We oughta get some answers or whatever before we just start wandering around and shit. But if these guys ain't gonna kill us anymore, that's good. But still, if there's an alarm or something we should get this guy to tell us about it. Besides," he shrugs, "maybe if we explain that we don't want to kill him and all his homies in here, he'll actually answer some questions."

"So yeah, then, I guess," he grunts, shouldering the unconscious technician, "let's blow back to the surface and talk to this dude before we go further in. Hopefully it'll only take a few minutes."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 15, 2011, 06:16:31 AM
"Either way we need to tie him up a bit, he won't be out much longer.  Elsie and Marcus?  Y'all want to be penguin food?" Alice asked, waving her Pip-Boy at her friends.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 15, 2011, 01:30:11 PM
Marcus nods, as he removes his Pip-Boy.  "Hmm, let's just drop back out of sight of this entrance.  That should be sufficient.  I don't really have anything to tie him up with, but if he comes around and doesn't cooperate I am sure we can think of something."  Marcus hands his Pip-Boy to Alice.  "Here.  Do whatever you need to do."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 15, 2011, 02:29:25 PM
She fiddled a moment and handed the Pip-Boy back to Marcus.  "Give him a quick once over for some sort of panic button while I adjust Elsie's Pip-Boy and then we can move to the tunnel."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 17, 2011, 10:51:15 AM
After Alice finishes updating your pip-boys with the new IFF frequency, you drag the unconscious man out of sight and back toward the cave entrance. You're pretty sure he doesn't have any untoward transmitters secreted about his person, and the only piece of equipment he was carrying is apparently now in Alice's possession.

When you're done searching him, you unseal and detach the plexi-glass helmet he is wearing; it comes away with a quiet whoosh of air, similar to that which you'd expect from an environment suit as it is unsealed. The man underneath is unremarkable - slim, caucasian, military crew-cut. He bears no scars or blemishes, and has straight teeth and fair skin - this in itself is enough to set him apart from most wastelanders. He's in remarkably good condition, apart from the painful-looking bruise that is slowly developing on the left side of his jaw.

While you're trying to figure what to do with him, he groans and opens his eyes (which roll around wildly, as if he can't focus). He mumbles and reaches up to touch his jaw.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 17, 2011, 10:54:59 AM
Alice half turned and whispered loudly, "quick Elsie!  Stun him again!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 17, 2011, 02:32:15 PM
Marcus kneels down besides the man and speaks in a calm voice.  "You took quite a blow there.  It'll sting for a little while but you should be fine, soon enough.  I am sorry we had to do what we did, we really don't like hurting people."  Marcus' face darkens as he adds, "but we will to protect the children.  Two of them were reported to enter these caves and we want to know what became of them."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on January 18, 2011, 03:28:01 AM
Elsie flips off Alice.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 18, 2011, 05:04:06 AM
Alice stuck her tongue out at Elsie and muttered, "it worked great the first time."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on January 18, 2011, 08:23:13 AM
Franklin stays in the background while the others work on the egghead. He ain't exactly a people person, and is more comfortable keeping a lookout for trouble.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 18, 2011, 10:16:38 AM
Hondo keeps a lookout with Franklin.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 23, 2011, 10:53:05 AM
The man sits up, looking at each of you. He quizzically asks "Children?" and then just a moment later, follows up with "Ohhhh, you mean the trespassers? The ones from a few days ago? Yes, they've been placed under arrest, pending processing by the board of directors." He shakily stands up. "Incidentally, you're also trespassing, and you're in a lot of trouble..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 23, 2011, 02:05:04 PM
"Join the club buster," Alice muttered, mostly to herself.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 24, 2011, 10:20:13 AM
"Trespassing? Here? C'mon," Hondo clearly thinks the guy's kidding.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on January 24, 2011, 01:54:20 PM
"That's nothing new, we've been in a lot of trouble before.  But then, so are you and this compound.  It's been in trouble ever since abducting children seemed like a good idea to them.  People protect their children, they will kill and destroy anything in the way for them.  If you think killing us will be the end of this, think again.  There will be others.  If the children are returned to us, we'll be gone."  Marcus adds as he turns away.  "If they are not?  With God as my witness, there will be hell to pay."

Spoiler: Actions • show

If he doesn't do anything when I turn away, I am going to ask Alice if she can use that guy's device to either contact whoever is inside, or if she can change the IFF codes these creatures use and change our Pip-Boys to match.  If we can make them hostile to the enemy and friendly to us, all the better.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on January 25, 2011, 01:09:18 AM
Without a word, Elsie draws her desert eagle and chambers a round. Without missing a beat, she levels it at the side of the man's head.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 25, 2011, 01:22:05 AM
As Elsie levels the gun at the man's head, he squeaks audibly. "T-that would be a poor idea." He swallows, hard. "If I am unharmed, you still have room to negotiate. However, if you kill me, our security staff are more likely to shoot first and ask questions later." He looks at each of you, waiting for someone to respond.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 25, 2011, 03:31:26 AM
"Yeah, not no big and bad with the tresspassin' when a gun's to your head, eh, mang?" shrugs Hondo. "Start at the beginning. Who are you, and what's goin' on down there that you think peoples is tresspassin'."

Spoiler: show

I believe his faceplate's off. Didn't we establish that?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on January 25, 2011, 04:09:16 AM
The man looks at Hondo, and for a moment you think he's going to run. The moment passes and he relaxes, much in the manner of a punctured dinghy. "Ok, ok. This is a laboratory. We do science things here." He pauses, obviously carefully choosing his next words. "We... um... that is, this is a research facility. You've seen what it's like up there..." He points at the ceiling of the cave. "They aren't people, they're animals. We're trying to figure out a way to repair the damage that the radiation has done over the past several generations, or maybe prevent further damage if at all possibe."

He shrugs. "If I tried to tell you any more, you probably wouldn't understand. It'd be like trying to to teach a radroach to program a computer. The juveniles you're looking for are likely in the holding pens. With all due respect for the current situation, I doubt you'll be able to find them whether you let me go or not." He warily regards the barrel of Elsie's gun. "And before you ask, no, i'm not going to show you the way. There is nothing that you could possibly do to me that could be worse than the price my superiors would exact for such a betrayal..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on January 25, 2011, 07:24:32 AM
"I ain't turnin' to no radroach to learn more about programmin' your computers," Alice said as she leaned in to peer at the scientist's face.  "And you don't look like a radroach anyway."  She turned away and moved to the other side of the tunnel, set Lady Joan down, sat down cross legged beside the rifle, her dress taut over her legs as a little table.  After opening her armor and the top button on her dress, Alice pulled some bits and the IFF box from the pockets of her gear rig, and set to work on the little box.

Spoiler: show
Since this is a Computers check, would the bits be wires, and Alice plugs the IFF into her Pip-Boy to work on it?

I would rather take ten than make the rolls, being deathclaw food is not a good way to start a day, but Alice looking like she knows exactly what she is doing will, I think, help improve this guy's disposition.

(Taking ten gives Alice a 19 on the Computers check.)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on January 26, 2011, 10:17:45 AM
"So who's in charge of you?" asks Hondo. "You guys Enclave? Brotherhood?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 03, 2011, 09:49:13 AM
He shrugs. "I represent the current legal government of the United States. I am not associated with those brotherhood traitors." He looks over each of you. "You're not regular wastelanders, are you?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 03, 2011, 10:35:56 AM
Alice looked up from her work on the little box and snickered.  "The cafeteria was a regular wasteland after Hondo was done with each meal."  A moment passed as she frowned at the box before training an icy green glare on the scientist. "Your asshole buddies shot up the Statue a couple of months ago!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 03, 2011, 04:40:32 PM
"You're with those motherfuckers?" Hondo gets stern. "Oh man, have you got a beatin' comin', mang."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on February 04, 2011, 02:57:27 AM
"If you mean to say that we have a conscience, a sense of right and wrong, then no, we aren't regular wastelanders.  Take you for instance.  Regular wastelanders would have slit your throat while you were unconscious and taken any and everything you had of any value on you.  We prefer to do without the killing if at all possible.  So, so long as you give us a viable alternative, I'd like to take it."  Marcus pauses for a moment, thinking.  "What would your people say to an exchange of hostages?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 04, 2011, 12:32:02 PM
The scientist smiles weakly at Marcus. "I suppose we can always hope...?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 04, 2011, 01:06:05 PM
"Yes, we certainly can.  I bet those penguins would make a mess of whatever equipment you have in there, which would be a shame, if their hats are anything to go by."

Spoiler: show
Alice is continuing her work on the Controller box.  Is there time to be taking ten, or do I need to be rolling.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on February 06, 2011, 01:52:41 AM
"Alice, when you are done there, you that thing and try to contact whoever may be inside there."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 06, 2011, 05:20:47 AM
Alice ignored everything for the next few minutes as she muttered and cursed at the obstinate chunk of tech.

"Gotcha, you miserable sonofabitch," she said with a satisfied smile.

Spoiler: show
Whew, that did not work by a whole lot.  (See why I wanted to be taking ten.  :P )
11 Checks, Alice needs 6 successes.
1d20+9 → [3,9] = (12)
1d20+9 → [18,9] = (27)
1d20+9 → [5,9] = (14)
1d20+9 → [4,9] = (13)
1d20+9 → [12,9] = (21)
1d20+9 → [1,9] = (10)
1d20+9 → [10,9] = (19)
1d20+9 → [19,9] = (28)
1d20+9 → [14,9] = (23)
1d20+9 → [9,9] = (18)
1d20+9 → [15,9] = (24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2875434/)
Dag blasted electronic dice.  I can't even fire them.  Six or better on a d20 should Not be a nailbiter like that.

And yes, I think spending a few action dice to keep that error under control is a good idea.  See why we wanted to take ten?   :P

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 13, 2011, 05:22:45 AM
After fiddling with the handset for an interminably long time, Alice is suddenly rewarded with a satisfying 'beep beep', and a little green LED winks to life. The captive scientist watches her with obvious confused fascination. "So where did you learn to do that?"

Spoiler: show

Alice now has full use of the handset. She has access to what appears to be three different encrypted radio channels (all of which are in use), and control of the four Deathclaws.

Controls are limited to 'follow', 'stay', and 'attack anything not transmitting Alice's custom IFF frequency'.

The three channels appear to be 'security dept', 'research dept' and 'admin/command dept'. Conversations are running on the security and research channels.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 13, 2011, 06:53:44 AM
She looked at the scientist with a smile that she means to be cheerful but just looks a lot crazy.  "Just somethin' I picked up.  Ain't much to do but tinker when you live in a giant cave and aren't allowed out into this wicked wasteland."  Alice paused and beamed at her friends before turning her attention to the scientist. "So do you want to tell security their 'no trespassing' signs are gone, or should I?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 13, 2011, 12:41:10 PM
The man looks at Alice incredulously. "You're insane! You think you can just walk into the Ark without any consequences?! They'll kill you all! Fools!" He seems more exasperated and confused, rather than angry and threatening.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on February 13, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
Franklin turns to face the doctor for a moment. "We ain't leaving without those kids, doc. If you've some idea on how to do it without loss of life, please, do share. Don't hold back doc, there's a very real chance you'll end up on the firing line as well if things go to shit..."

Spoiler: show

Not actively trying to intimidate him here, but a roll might be required to add that ominous tone to the last comment...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 13, 2011, 12:58:33 PM
Alice leaned back against the wall and straightened her legs with a satisfied sigh.  "More like sneak in, grab the kids, hijack the PA, put on some music and waltz out.  Can you dance?" she asked as she crossed her legs under her again, looking at the scientist with an allegedly "come hither" smile.

Spoiler: show
Poor guy is gonna get some bad mood whiplash.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 13, 2011, 04:03:18 PM
"Why is gettin' these kids back such a big deal, mang?" asks Hondo, now a little perplexed. "There don't need to be no fighting and shit--your boys just gotta give us back those kids. Once we got 'em, fuck it, I don' mind never comin' back to your cave."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 13, 2011, 11:07:28 PM
He throws up his hands in frustration. "They're test-subjects. If we give you them back, what happens when every other aggrieved family member comes knocking? Do we give them back too? Soon we'll have no experimental data, and the whole project will fail." He looks straight at Hondo. "We're trying to help... and you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, right?" He shrugs as if this is the most casual thing in the world.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 14, 2011, 03:19:31 AM
Alice looked up at the scientist and blinked.  "A torture and murder omelet?  Who would want one of those, and why would you help make it?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 14, 2011, 05:55:18 AM
The scientist stands up and adds "In order to cure, you must first understand. We don't torture our test subjects - we run blood work, cell sections and psychological tests. Of course, we have to vivisect them once the tests are concluded, and we can't use anasthetic or it would compromise the results. We also have to do it whilst they're still alive to get a good picture of their individual mutations in action."

He lets that hang in the air, then finishes with "Of course, it is harsh, but they don't suffer for very long. They usually expire from shock after about 15 minutes or so."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 14, 2011, 06:36:50 AM
"VIVISECT?!" She rose swiftly and stalked over, shoulder hunched with fury. "You.  Carve.  Them. To pieces.  ALIVE?" Deliberately standing on his toes, Alice pulled the bottom of the face ring down until the scientist was looking her in the eye. "This is going to end Very Badly for you."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 14, 2011, 05:13:22 PM
"What's vivisect mean?" Hondo asks Marcus quietly, a little self-conscious that he doesn't know, and hoping Alice has misunderstood somehow.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on February 14, 2011, 11:11:06 PM
Elsie stands, horrified, shaking her head in denial. "It means that they cut them up into little bits. While they're alive and conscious, without painkillers." She draws her gun and steps up behing the scientist, levelling it at the back of his head.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on February 15, 2011, 01:15:11 AM
Marcus, the concern obvious in his eyes, nods in affirmation at Elsie's explanation, but his eyes snap open wide as she draws her gun.

"Wait, Elsie!  Shooting this guy may make us feel better, but it sure isn't going to help us get those kids back.  As for you, Mr. Scientist, I'll put this bluntly.  You share the same fate as those kids.  If they go free, so do you.  If THEY are vivisected, I'll cut you open myself.  I've learned a lot of biology, but the more first hand experience I can get, the better.  It behooves your own health to help us."  Turning to Alice, he adds, "If that machine is working, contact them and let them know we want to make an exchange.  Oh, and Hondo, take off that guys blasted helmet and gag him.  We don't need him yelling over the radio."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on February 15, 2011, 02:49:37 AM
Franklin's got a disgusted look on his face, and those close to him can hear him mutter to himself "Damn, I guess the old bastard was right after all, there are monsters out here..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 15, 2011, 03:19:57 AM
Still standing on the scientist's toes, holding onto his face seal with one hand, and staring into his eyes as she pulled the radio from its pouch and held it out to Marcus or Elsie. "Talk to his bosses while we find a way to shut him up that won't kill him inside a quarter hour."

Malice dripped from her words as she spoke to the scientist again:  "Your survival is tied to theirs, think fast or the pumps down here will clog with the viscera of you and your companions."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 15, 2011, 05:56:04 PM
Hondo uses one of his bandannas to gag the guy, and puts his old gang-enforcer hood on him. He smiles a nasty smile, and cuffs the guy on the back of the head a time or two, just to make sure he can't squeal too loud through the layers of cloth. 

"These guys might want to cut you, mang," he whispers to the dude while he makes sure things are tight and in place, "but that's noob shit. Me? Imma bust you the fuck up. You'll look pretty funny tryin' to crawl when your shit don' bend right no more. Shut the fuck up and do as you're told, maybe I'll leave you a tooth to chew wit."

Spoiler: show

Intimidate 1d20+8=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2894844/)
Plus an action die, just 'cuz: 1d4.open(4)=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2894849/)
Well, 22 will do for now. Plus whatever bonus I might get from everyone else looking to vivisect him.  :)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on February 17, 2011, 02:36:36 AM
Elsie walks off toward the door. "Personally, i'd just shoot him and be done with it." She climbs the metal steps at the base of the platform.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 17, 2011, 06:38:49 AM
Alice scooped up Lady Joan as she hustled after Elsie.  "Hold on!  Don't you want to bring some penguins with you for backup?" she asked as she offered Elsie the controller.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 17, 2011, 03:53:44 PM
Hondo keeps a very close eye on the "scientist", in case he starts reaching furtively into his belt or sleeve or pocket or boot like a cowboy movie villain, or some other shit like that. He also appropriates anything on the scientist's person that's not firmly attached.

(Keep in mind that the scientist is wearing a sack on his head, and is therefore blind--he is also gagged, and so cannot speak coherently).
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 21, 2011, 10:44:17 AM
You all approach the (apparently) sealed door. It is a dull grey metallic affair, with a large turnable locking wheel in the middle. It looks a lot like a bulkhead door of the sort used in Vault-Tec facilities. After throughly checking it, you find no electronic locks of any kind, so you try turning the wheel... and, surprisingly enough, it turns freely. The door opens inwards and squeaks loudly, opening up onto a large, metal-walled chamber. It looks very familiar, and despite the darkness you all immediately notice another pressure door on the far side of the room, and the two cctv cameras, one pointed at each entrance to the chamber.

After a moments panic, Alice quickly sets you all at ease - neither of the cameras is powered, as evidenced by the lack of a little red LED on the casing, and the fact that they are not panning from side-to-side. Once you all enter the chamber, you take a moment to examine the pressure door on the far wall. This one has an adjacent terminal (http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/7/74/Terminal.jpg) that is illuminated and, apparently, fully functional.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 21, 2011, 02:43:22 PM
Alice kept Lady Joan watching the doorway as she approached the terminal. "Can you guys watch the door while I see if I can get anything useful out of this machine?" she asked as she began to peck at the keys.

Spoiler: show
Cumputating in progress! (1d20+9=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2902783/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on February 21, 2011, 02:59:27 PM
"Right, will do. Don't take too long, will ya?" Franklin keeps the autoaxe at the ready, standing by to smash anyone coming through.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on February 21, 2011, 03:21:28 PM
Marcus takes up a position standing just to the right of the door, ready to tackle the first person who comes through it.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 21, 2011, 03:35:44 PM
Hondo keeps the scientist close by, ready to shank him.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on February 26, 2011, 01:25:30 PM
After poking away at the terminal for a few moments, Alice determines that 1) the outer door needs to be closed, and 2) you'll need a password. Hondo has a brief chat with your captive, and after a few gentle 'nudges', he coughs up: the password is 'patriot'.

Marcus drags the outer door closed, and Alice enters the password. Several red lights begin to flash, and a klaxon sounds three times. Nozzles in the walls and ceiling spray very hot steam into the room, and anyone who gets too close is scalded. Once the decontamination cycle is finished, several magnetic locks around the inner door snap open. The door is now unlocked.

Slowly and carefully pulling it open, you all peer through. The corrider beyond (http://www.virginmedia.com/images/nuclear-bunker-1-431x300.jpg) is oddly well lit, and totally empty.


Spoiler: show

Yeah, that's a pair of PR 3 steam jet traps, that no-one detected. You take heat damage as follows, over 2 rounds:

Frank: 8, 3 (11 subdual)
Marcus: 7, 5 (12 subdual)
Hondo: 8, 6 (14 subdual)
Elsie: 9, 4 (13 subdual)
Alice: 4, 4 (8 subdual)

Everyone but Marcus suffers a -2 penalty on the Fort save thanks to your armor. Elsie has exceeded her first subdual threshold, and passes her fort save.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on February 26, 2011, 03:51:33 PM
Alice's curses were loud and obscene as she drew Jenkins and smashed the nearest nozzle until the steaming stopped.  Taking a deep and "calming" breath, she hefted Lady Joan and looked at her companions. "We're gonna hafta do something about that if we want to bring in the penguins."

She moved to the doorway, crouched and peered down the hallway.

Spoiler: show
Anything down that hallway worth shooting? (1d20+5=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2910852/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on February 26, 2011, 10:32:42 PM
"Can you turn that shit off or somethin'?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on March 03, 2011, 02:55:45 AM
The scientist answers Hondo's question about the children's location with a muffled mumble. You end up having to take of his gag so that he can speak. "They're probably in the holding pens down by the sump. It's four levels down. You'll need to take a left at the end of the hallway and go to the elevator core." He shrugs. "Of course, if you want to avoid notice you'll need to use the ventilation ducts, but I have no idea how you'd do that." He sighs in an exasperated yet resigned manner.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 03, 2011, 03:32:50 AM
"Whatchu mean, 'avoid notice', mang? You guys got more cameras and shit in the elevator?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 03, 2011, 07:27:29 AM
"We don't want to break everything, not if we want to keep this joint.  Now keep him quiet while I go see what's past the door.  Come running if I scream or Joan roars."

Rifle in arms, Alice crept down the hallway, on the lookout for traps and surveillance tech.

Spoiler: show
Sneak sneak sneak,
Sneak sneak sneak,
Sneak your booty.  18
(And Notice too.)  17

1d20+7, 1d20+5 → ([11, 7], [12, 5])
 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2917651/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 03, 2011, 08:29:20 AM
"Good luck, Alice, and come back in one piece."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on March 08, 2011, 07:01:28 AM
Alice quietly pads along the corridor, keeping a close eye out. Reaching the t-junction at the end of the hallway, she peers around the corner; to the right, a hallway  (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/3265562202_18e1b0122a.jpg?v=0)leads off deeper into the facility. To the left, a pair of elevator shafts with caged doors and a single call button between them; the hallway terminates a few yards beyond them in another bulkhead door. On the wall opposite the junction, a large but slightly faded sign is riveted to the wall, apparently displaying the location of different parts of the facility.

Spoiler: Sign on the Wall • show

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/glimmerrat/ArkLayout.jpg)

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 08, 2011, 09:20:59 AM
Alice retreated out of view of the hallway to a corner where she and Joan could watch the elevator before she lifted her Pip-Boy and whispered "I've got a narrow hallway and an elevator.  If we want to bring the penguins in with us and take the elevator, we should go get them now."  She stared at the map trying to remember where the kids were as her attention kept returning to the robotics bay.  "Oh and there's a map too."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on March 09, 2011, 01:19:20 AM
Elsie strolls down the hallway toward Alice. "So, like, where is everyone?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 09, 2011, 09:18:11 AM
Marcus creeps forward and briefly studies the map, eyes furrowed.  After a moment he backs away from the T-junction.

"We should avoid the elevator if at all possible.  Corridors, stairs, and doors we can try to clear before we head in, but the elevator removes that option.  Also, if we are detected it would be too easy for them to shut down the elevator.  Alice, if we can get you down to the Computer Core, you think you can tap into their system?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 09, 2011, 10:42:57 AM
"It may take a bit of doing," she whispered, "but I can make their computer my breathless minion."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 09, 2011, 03:01:06 PM
"How come they got a bridge underground?" Hondo wonders softly while trying to make sense of the map. "A bridge to what? And this map still don't tell us where the kids are at."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 15, 2011, 02:39:17 AM
"They think they're on a boat?" Alice wondered aloud before padding off down the corridor, away from the elevator, looking for the stairs down.

Spoiler: show
Sneakin' an' lookin'. (1d20+7, 1d20+5=[12, 7], [17, 5]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2935502/)

19 to the Sneak, and 22 on the Search.  So where are those stairs...?

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on March 15, 2011, 08:03:37 AM
Alice carefully picks her way along the corridor, stepping through open bulkheads as she goes. She passes a number of rooms along the way, all either open and empty, or locked and labeled with black marker pen. The labels appear to be names, surname first, and military ranks. All of the ranks are either Private, Private First Class or Corporal.

After a few minutes, Alice finally spots an open hatch in the floor. There is an identical reinforced hatch in the ceiling above it, and they are linked by a set of stairs (http://www.timemoneyandblood.com/images/museums/USShornet/stairsHatches.jpg). Just as she is about to engage in a silent victory celebration, a hatch opens right next to her and with a barely suppressed yelp she tip-toes out of the way, hiding in a nearby nook. A pair of figures in odd-looking jump-suits (http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/6/62/Fallout_3_Recon_Armour.png) step out, hurriedly closing and locking the door behind them. The one not focused on the door says
“Hurry it up, man! We got ten minutes to get suited up, and if we’re late for parade again the sarge will have the whole squad polishing the engines with our sorry butts!” The other man turns to face him, adding “And panicking like a bitch is really helping, isn’t it? Come on, let’s go.” The two run to the stairs and head up. Alice lets out a long sigh of relief.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 15, 2011, 08:49:14 AM
"Hooooly crow.  That was close," Alice whispered into her Pip-Boy.  "C'mon guys, down the hall and stay by the stairs down, I'll go see what's what."  Transmission complete, Alice left the microphone on and carefully descended the stairs.

Spoiler: show
Sneakin' an' lookin' some more. (1d20+7, 1d20+5=[7, 7]->14, [20, 5]->25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2935753/) Damn stairs.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 15, 2011, 01:59:29 PM
"Agreed, if they went up to parade, we should go down to avoid them."  Marcus crouches to the side of the stairs going up and watches the hatch in the ceiling.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 16, 2011, 10:21:26 AM
"Right," agrees Hondo in a whisper, moving to help Marcus keep a lookout.

Spoiler: show

I spend an action die to render mister technician-in-a-terminal-situation unconscious, just in case.  :)

I'll carry the guy for now. He doesn't encumber me.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 21, 2011, 12:03:07 PM
Treading mouse quiet down the stairs, Alice looked around, hoping this stairwell went all the way down to the robotics/sump level.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on March 22, 2011, 02:21:28 AM
You all move down to the next deck, Alice carefully leading the way. The next level is very different to the first; crowded with machinery, with a walkway that winds between stacks of cabling and electronics (http://comtourist.com/images/thumb/hamburg-b-515-07/b-515-engine-room-11.jpg), if you wish to explore this deck then you'll need to walk single-file, and Hondo will be at a significant disadvantage. However, the stairwell does continue down, apparently one more deck, and peering down you see that it looks very similar to the deck above you.

Spoiler: Alice • show

Alice notices that a lot of this machinery is old, and whilst it has been maintained, they haven't done a very good job. Some of it is currently running, but a lot seems to be in standby mode. These are not the electronics of a Vault either - they look like the sort of things you've seen in the schematics of ocean-going vessels.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 22, 2011, 07:29:16 AM
Alice looked up the stairs, and back down the hallway and cursed quietly. "Hondo, you're not gonna like this passage," she stage whispered up the stairs to her large friend. "I think this is the right level."

Looking around, she consulted the marginal map that is now on her Pip-Boy, and cursed the lack of a floor plan before quietly leading off towards where she hoped the prisoners, computers, and robots lurked.


Spoiler: show
Sneakin' an' lookin' some mo'. (1d20+7, 1d20+5=[14, 7], [10, 5])
Sneak = 21
Notice = 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2946503/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 22, 2011, 08:10:18 AM
Marcus followed cautiously behind Alice, content to let her lead the way, while keeping his eyes and ears open for anything dangerous.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on March 22, 2011, 08:55:55 AM
Elsie picks her way down the stairs, walking as if she's in high heels that she isn't used to.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 22, 2011, 10:47:16 AM
"I'll make it work," Hondo whispers. "Maybe we oughta look for a place to stash this punk-ass I'm carryin'. But are you sure this is the right level?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 22, 2011, 11:00:32 AM
"We might be one up from the kids," Alice whispered.  "But I want their computer core.  We can take over this place!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on March 29, 2011, 03:39:18 AM
You carefully pick your way along the cramped hallway, occasionally passing side room overflowing with bundles of wires and hissing pipes. After at least 100 ft. you come to another bulkhead door; it doesn't have any locks on it or even a porthole, just a pressure wheel in the center. Alice carefully eases it open...

...and comes out onto a gantry overlooking a chamber easily as large as a Vault's main atrium. It is split over at least three levels, and each one bustles with activity. Technicians in suits identical to the one that your prisoner was wearing are everywhere, and they are fussing particularly over two massive towers of machinery. Each tower has a shaft with a diameter of around 15 ft. attaching it to an outside wall, and they rumble ominously. The one on the left is labelled
'Forward Port Machinehead', and the one on the right 'Forward Starboard Machinehead'.

A voice blares over a tannoy system: ALERT ALL PERSONNEL! LOCKDOWN IS NOW IN EFFECT! TEST-FIRING COMMENCES IN T-MINUS 10 MINUTES! In response, many of the suited figures begin assuming positions at computer terminals and workstations.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 29, 2011, 07:03:55 PM
"Well sheeeeeit.  I dunno what they're test firin', but that can't be any sort of good.  We've got ten minutes if we want to stop them, but how?"  The budding mad scientist stared at the shafts, wondering if Lady Joan could "convince" the missiles, if they were missiles, not to launch AND not to incinerate her and her friends.

Spoiler: show
Notice and something else to try and figure out what the heck those tube things are. (1d20=11, 1d20=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2957744/) Mechanics maybe?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on March 30, 2011, 06:34:34 AM
"Engines!" Alice turned back to face her friends. "Engines and drive shafts.  But what the blazes could they be moving?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 30, 2011, 07:44:52 PM
"Some'm big, it looks like," Hondo murmurs, easing back from the gantry so he's not visible to the other techies. "Maybe this is a ship. Too bad it ain't on water or whatever."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 30, 2011, 08:03:03 PM
"The guy we talked to earlier said that they were running experiments on the kids.  If we can't figure out what it is they are doing, we have to assume the worst.  If the kids are in those towers, we can not let them perform that test.  Even if it means I need to go out there and start breaking in face plates."

Spoiler: Actions • show

Since they are entering "lock down" Marcus will be wary of any doors that may be closing between them and the test chamber.  If a door is closing, he wants to be on the test chamber side, even if that means he has to dive through where everyone can see him and he has to start punching in faces.

Marcus is going to look around for any loose machinery that can be used as an improvised weapon.  A length of loose pipe would be ideal, but anything small and hefty enough to be thrown in a pinch will suffice.

Whether or not he finds anything, he'll study the layout of the test chamber for stairs or ladders to access the various levels.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on March 31, 2011, 12:52:36 PM
Franklin is quite out of his element here, and grips his axe like it's his only comfort in this turbulent and everchanging world. "Don't know what the hell's goin' on here, but I'm all for stoppin' it." he whispers to the others.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on March 31, 2011, 04:50:15 PM
"This guy," says Hondo, indicating the unconscious sack of potatoes he's carrying, "said they were cuttin' kids up, not using 'em in machinery. It's sick, I know," he glances uncomfortably at Elsie, "but it's what he said. I don't think we gotta worry about kids in the towers or whatever, but maybe when they're done firin' whatever the fuck they're firin' we can use the shaft to get down to the lab level--it'll keep us off the stairs and shit and maybe keep us from gettin' caught. I say we wait it out."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on March 31, 2011, 05:44:20 PM
"They end up vivisecting, yes, but he head said that was after they ran a bunch of other tests on them and he was incredibly vague as to what those tests were.  He said they were looking for a cure for what is happening up there and that could only mean radiation.  I would not be surprised at all if they were going to irradiate the hell out of them and see how they respond.  It would also explain those suits.  At this point we don't know, and unless I know they aren't in there, so help me god, I can't let this experiment commence.  Unless anyone here can offer proof they aren't in there, I'm going after them."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 01, 2011, 09:00:41 PM
"I dunno, mang," Hondo shakes his head. "If we run in there and get killed, then nobody back at Empire will even know this shit's happenin' out here. And they'll just keep takin' kids. We gotta find the lab or whatever, not get all crazy over shit we don't know nothing about."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 02, 2011, 05:12:21 AM
"Plus, I don't think we really want to destroy all this stuff.  How can we make it stop right now though?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on April 08, 2011, 11:06:43 PM
The huge towers begin to rumble, and a a bass vibration thrums through the deck under your feet. Steam conduits vent in several places, and the technicians work dilligently at thier posts.

Its possible that you could cross this chamber without being seen, but you'd need to ascend one level and shimmy along one of the large support beams running across the ceiling. That'd get you to the far side of the room, and the door that you can see there that is marked 'Robotics'.

However, the lip on the edge of the support beam is about four inches wide, and it'd be a tricky climb for all of 50 ft.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 09, 2011, 09:16:46 PM
Alice looked around frantically, mouthing a steady stream of curses.  "Who's got some rope?  I can bounce up to that beam," she pointed to the support beam, "and you guys can swing across."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on April 13, 2011, 06:37:19 AM
"Got some ropes in my climbing gear, give me a second..." Franklin roots around in his backpack and pulls out a coil of rope. He hands it over to Alice, with a little comment, "Be careful with it, will you? Good rope's hard to find..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 13, 2011, 06:48:26 AM
"Can you put a loop in the bottom?  And how much slack do you need to make it all the way across?"

Spoiler: show

The current plan is to throw a clove hitch around the beam, and the loop at the bottom will make the swinging safer.  While everyone else swings across, Alice can overwatch from the shadows/steam filled area around the ceiling, and retrieve the rope afterward.

How wide is the room anyway?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on April 13, 2011, 07:42:44 AM
"Yeah, sure." Franklin assists Alice with her cunning plan.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on April 17, 2011, 01:15:46 AM
When Alice finishes, Elsie firmly grasps the rope and - closing her eyes - swings... and just about manages to get a toe-hold on the far side. Her facial expression would be comical if it weren't for the situation. She finally manages to restore her balance and swings the rope back across to the others.

Spoiler: show

Athletics: 1d20+2=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2984896/)
AD 1: 1d4=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2984897/)
AD 2: irrelevant since I only need 1 more to succeed
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on April 17, 2011, 03:27:21 AM
Marcus catches the rope on its back-swing and gracefully swings across the opening, landing neatly on the other side.  He scans the people below to see if anyone saw him as he pushed the rope back to his companions on the far side.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Athletics: 1d20+7 → [17,7] = (24)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2984937/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on April 17, 2011, 08:56:33 AM
Franklin swing across with practiced ease, although swinging around like this usually happens after he's fucked up somehow. This whole affair leaves him waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Spoiler: Swashbucklin' • show

Athletics: 1d20+10=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2985073/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 17, 2011, 09:39:31 AM
The party's buckles swashed, Alice bundled up the rope and rejoined everyone on the other side of the room.  "Shall we continue?"  She asked rhetorically before heading down the next section of cramped corridor.

Spoiler: show
1d20+7=25, 1d20+7=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2985129/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 17, 2011, 11:40:18 AM
Except that she forgot about Hondo, though he arrives at the ledge even as she decides to start reeling in the rope. Pretty impressive for a guy that size.

Spoiler: show


Athletics 1d20+10=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2985215/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on April 27, 2011, 06:16:34 AM
One by one, you quickly and quietly swing across the gaping engine room. When you finally gather on the far side of the cavernous chamber, Alice flies back up and fetches the rope, bringing it back to Frank who bundles it back up. Turning around, you all face the large, sturdy-looking bulkhead door labelled 'robotics'. Hondo, putting his back into it, turns the wheel in the middle of the door and pulls it open.

On the other side is a darkened chamber, illuminated by numerous computer displays and flashing LEDs in a variety of different colours. As you close the door behind you, the noise from the engine test-firing is suddenly blocked out, replaced by the whirr and hum of hard drives. Straight away you all hear a quiet babble of voices and a soft sobbing from somewhere deeper in the room, probably below you. However, before you have time to investigate, something very large  with a domed-head and flexible arms rolls into view. You are momentarily blinded by a bright flashlight beam as a metallic, monotone voice announces
"HALT. STATE. YOUR. IN-TEN-TIONS." The question is accompanied by the unmistakeable sound of an energy weapon of some sort powering up.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 27, 2011, 07:06:38 PM
Hondo unslings the scientist and lets the body sag against him like the guy's really drunk. He then looks to Elsie with a 'you've got a story, right?' look.

Spoiler: show

As Elsie tells a masterfully ventriloquistic lie about why we're in here, Hondo will sort of puppeteer the scientist, like move his arm in broad arcs to punctuate sentences and that sort of thing. It's weekend at Bernies!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 27, 2011, 07:54:15 PM
Alice snuggled back against the door, bracing Lady Joan and taking aim at the brain casing, hoping Elsie and Hondo could weasel past the robot, Lady Joan's argument in favor of their presence, though persuasive, would be painfully loud.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on April 28, 2011, 12:45:22 AM
Elsie shoots Hondo a foul glare, and then turns to the robot and says "Yes! *cough* I mean.. YES." After the cough her voice drops a full octave. "These VIPs are on a tour of the facility. Go about your business, guard... um... bot." With Hondo's help the unconscious guard flails an arm. "And good work!"

Spoiler: show

Bluff/Deception: 1d20+11=30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2999701/)

Yeah, that's a threat. I'll activate that as a crit, so that the 'bots disposition toward us increases by 1.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on April 28, 2011, 01:09:13 AM
The brainbot pauses for a moment, processing the response. Then, very quickly, it switches off the flashlight, lowers its arms and rolls backwards several feet. "THANK. YOU. HAVE A NICE DAY." It turns on the spot and abruptly rolls away, arms swaying pendulously at its sides. As it disappears around a bank of computers, in the half-light you notice several other robots of the same type (http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/d/d7/Robobrain.png) going back about their business tending the pulsing computer banks.

Spoiler: show

Gentry, Jim and Friday all have a bonus action die. That was quality.  :)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on April 28, 2011, 04:54:50 AM
Franklin, who had thought that this was going to be when the other shoe dropped, stares slackjawed for a moment, surprise written all over his face. "I can't believe that actually worked..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 28, 2011, 07:53:39 AM
Alice sagged and slumped onto the floor, Lady Joan across her splayed legs. "Whoooo.  Nice job Elsie."  She sat there a moment, then cocked her head. "Is that someone crying?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 28, 2011, 03:12:36 PM
Hondo keeps Bernie the scientist slung against him haphazardly, just in case. "It sound like it's further on and down. Think there's a balcony or some shit like that?" he murmurs.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 29, 2011, 06:41:30 AM
"There should be ramps of some sort?  That robot was on tracks."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 29, 2011, 02:52:20 PM
"Maybe you should check it out, Alice. You're the quiet one. Just don't start shootin' shit. Yet."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 29, 2011, 03:25:15 PM
"We don't need to be quiet.  Securo-fail-tron there thinks Bernie," she pointed to the unconcious scientist, "is taking us on the special tour.  Maybe we should look for the master panel so I can convince every 'bot in the joint that we are their true masters."   ;D
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 29, 2011, 04:38:33 PM
"Cool," says Hondo, recalling Alice's original reason for dragging everybody in here in the first place. "How long you think it'll take?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 29, 2011, 05:00:28 PM
"Um," she grunted as she leaned against the door and stood.  "I don't really know.  Kinda depends on how well their built their system."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on April 30, 2011, 04:50:49 AM
Elsie watches the robot rumble away. "Why bother reprogramming them? They're so dumb I can charm the bolts offa them with my eyes closed..."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on April 30, 2011, 04:57:43 AM
The layout of the rest of the floor is as follows: the room you are currently in is about 30ft. x 30 ft. and a little over 10 ft. high. There are many computer banks in here that stand floor-to-ceiling, and half-a-dozen brainbots tending them. They appear to be completing repairs and bolting coverings back into place.

The back wall has a pair of bulkhead doors, one on each side of the room. Additionally, there is a set of stairs going up and down halfway along on the left-hand wall. Next to it is a piece of paper stuck to the wall. An arrow pointing up has 'bot maintenance' written next to it; an arrow pointing down has 'temporary lab and storage' written below it.

On the right-hand wall is a caged elevator that is 5 ft. on a side. The room is dimly lit and you notice that the light fixtures in the ceiling are missing their bulbs. The noise sounds like it is coming from the deck below.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on April 30, 2011, 05:30:48 AM
"Because I don't think it would work so well if I tried to talk to them like that?  Shall we grab the kids and then go see what we can do about the rest of the bots?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on April 30, 2011, 06:44:57 AM
"If we start with the kids and shit we got no chance of staying quiet for very long. What if you and Elsie work together, Alice? Maybe we can use Bernie here," Hondo waggles a limp arm to wave at Elsie, "to get the 'bots to tell us where the main switch is or whatever, and speed this shit up."

Spoiler: show

Is there some flavor of cooperative check that be used to attack this problem quickly from two angles? Elsie uses her new 'bot-whisperer status to get them to essentially help Alice hack the system? Hondo will happily use his "shift disposition" whammy on whichever 'bot Elsie picks out, to drive their disposition up further and help back her play.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on April 30, 2011, 03:16:01 PM
Eying the computers and robots warily, Marcus adds, "God knows, I am not going to be of much use with this stuff.  Let's take a peek down below.  If the kids are there and they are hurt, I can use the time you guys are playing around up here to tend to them."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 01, 2011, 06:12:01 AM
"I'll go with you Marcus, we shouldn't run around alone in this place. And unless they've camouflaged the controls as a stove, I'm no good in the tech department either."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 02, 2011, 06:29:24 PM
Rather wary after the last experience of splitting up, Alice nodded anyway. "That should work?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 03, 2011, 06:42:36 AM
Elsie goes to work, sweet talking the nearest bot that she can find. She does her best to 'play dumb' (something that she does surprisingly well...) and soon enough one of the bewildered brain bots points you to the right terminal. Alice cracks her knuckles and goes to work, while Hondo stands nearby, tending 'bernie'.

Marcus and Frank head downstairs, carefully taking it one step at a time. They emerge at the bottom of the steps into what looks like a makeshift lab... or operating theatre. The size and overall layout seems to be the same as upstairs, but instead of computer banks, the room is portioned off with large, off-white curtains attached to ceiling-mounted rails, much like shower curtains. Curiosity getting the better of him, Frank slides aside one of the curtains, revealing a pristine metal autopsy table, complete with plug hole in the middle. Next to it is a silver trolley filled with surgical tools including scapels, bone saws and rib spreaders. As you all survey the scene, you hear a clattering of keys across the room. Apparently no more than 10-15 ft. away, someone types away on a keyboard. You can make out their silhouette through the next curtain. A female voice calls out quietly
"Doctor Chandra?"

Meanwhile, Alice is making headway with the local network. The password system is woefully underequipped to protect against someone who thinks to check the word 'password', and within a matter of minutes she is online.

Spoiler: show

The network is protected by a PR4 Security program. We'll run this as a Hack vs. an unmonitored system; a Complex Task (interval: 1 minute) requiring 4 checks at DC 18. The rolls break down as follows:

1: 1d20+9=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3007559/)
2: 1d20+9=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3007560/)
3: 1d20+9=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3007561/)

Nice - 100% success in 3 minutes. Please refer to Core Commands at the end of the Hacking section to see what you can/can't do.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 03, 2011, 07:33:47 AM
"I'm the roadrunner, and the administrator is the coyote," Alice said with a triumphant grin.  "This system is MINE.  Now let us witness the power of this fully operational death star..."

Spoiler: show
We'll start with authorizing a new user with root access, Tech Mistress.  Next is adding our Pip-Boys to the network as trusted devices.
That will take six Full Actions, and Alice won't put up with distraction.

Next we need to dig into security, and make sure that all security doors and robots and IFF systems see us as friends.  This really can't take too much interruption, but that search may take a bit.

Likewise a search for connected security systems.  Cameras should help tell us what the eff is going on in here.

Then we remove root privileges from all other accounts.  This should be a bit subtle, and start with finding out if anyone is logged in.  The longer we go before someone notices, the better.

How long will all that take?  15 minutes?  If the commotion starts downstairs, Alice would like to check, but Frank and Marcus can handle most anything, and at the console she can help best.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 06, 2011, 05:33:09 AM
Franklin walks smartly over to the curtains, opens them with one hand while holding the axe in a 'hi I've got an axe and if you're very lucky I won't use it' pose in the other hand, and calmly informs the woman "Don't scream or try to sound an alarm, you're of more use to me as a hostage than as a corpse."

Spoiler: show

So yeah, Intimidate/Coercion to make her surrender without a fuss. 1d20+10=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012627/), gonna add an AD to that just to be sure, 1d4=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012630/), so 27 Intimidate on her.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 06, 2011, 10:26:18 AM
Marcus stands beside Franklin, ready to pounce on the woman if she doesn't obey.

Spoiler: actions • show

Marcus is ready to grapple her if she makes any sudden or suspicious movements.

Sense Motive and Notice are both plus 8: 1d20+8 → [12,8] = (20)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012970/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 06, 2011, 02:19:01 PM
The woman turns on her chair to see who has entered the room behind her; she's wearing a jumpsuit like most of the others, but no helmet, and she is wearing a lab coat over the top of it. Her brown hair is tied up in a bun, and she is wearing horn-rimmed spectacles. She's probably in her early twenties.

Seeing a pair of apparent wasteland savages (one of which is brandishing an axe), all of the colour drains from her face. She jolts to her her feet and backs up against the desk at which she was working.
"Ohmygod pleasedontkillme! Oh god!" She begins to tremble, her eyes welling up with tears. She raises her shaking hands in a placating gesture. "Um... you... you don't have to do that!" She gestures at the axe. "We have bottle caps and lots of drugs here - you can take them!"

Spoiler: show

That's an error on her Resolve/Resist Intimidate, meaning that Frank has scored a threat. And yes, you may spend an AD to activate it if you wish.

She's currently in a position where she will cooperate indefinately until you leave her line-of-sight or circumstances change significantly.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 06, 2011, 03:33:29 PM
Not wanting to upset the woman's view on reality, Marcus plays along.  "Oh, we'll take the caps and drugs.  And we'll want your slaves, too.  But first thing's first, how many more of your own people are down here in the labs?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 07, 2011, 05:51:45 AM
Franklin looks at his axe, then back to the woman. "You're right, I don't have to do that. In fact, I don't particularly want to do that. But if you do anything stupid, you'll force me to do that. And just so we're on the same page here... go for an alarm, you'll loose an arm." He makes a small chopping motion with the axe. "Make a run for it, you'll loose a leg... and don't think distance'll save you, you'd be surprised how accurate this things are at range." He makes another small chopping motion, followed by a small throwing motion. "And if you somehow were to get away from us, well, think about it. We've managed to come this far without raising an alarm, and that's because we are very very good at what we do. Tracking you down while bypassing traps and guards... easy as pie. In short, until we've gotten what we want and have left, nowhere is safe. But if you don't do anything stupid, we won't lay a hand on you. And that's a damn better offer than you'd get from most, pretty young lady like yourself."

Spoiler: show

So yeah, spending an AD to activate that threat. I figure the old 'here's all the horrible things we can do to you, but won't if you do exactly what we say' routine would give the effect we're looking for. And yes, that's an implied rape threat at the end there. Frank can be kind of a bastard at times...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 07, 2011, 07:27:27 AM
The young woman stands as still as she is able while Frank delivers his monologue, but her hands are still shaking. At the implied rape, a single tear rolls down her cheek and she bites her bottom lip to contain a sob. She silently nods several times. "Ok."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 07, 2011, 03:46:43 PM
Franklin stares intently at the young woman, then breaks into a wide smile, as if he just met an old friend. "Excellent. I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye on this, I really am. Now, I believe my friend had some questions, miss...?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 10, 2011, 06:36:43 AM
"Uh... Emily. Doctor. Doctor Emily Calvin."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 10, 2011, 07:02:49 AM
"Emily.. what a lovely name. Now, you mentioned caps and drugs, elaborate please. Afterwards, who else is supposed to be here? You mentioned a doctor Chandra earlier? And just what the hell's going on in this place? Some sort of freaky experiments or something?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 10, 2011, 11:22:11 PM
She points at a nearby cabinet with glass panes in the doors. It is lined with shelves with bottles of every variety on the shelves. "I-In there. Pharmaceuticals and petty cash. The-the caps are in a box on the bottom shelf." While Marcus pops open the doors and begins ransacking the stock bottles, Frank waits for Emily to continue. "Doctor Chandra is the head researcher here, until we're up and mobile. The Ark is a mobile Vault." As she says that, the decking under your feet vibrates with the bass thrum of massive engines turning over. Then, with a sickening screeching of metal, the room violently tilts off to one side before it rights itself. After several moments of silence, renewed crying can be heard in the next room. A voice over the tannoy announces "TEST-FIRING SUCCESSFUL. WE ARE NOW FULLY OPERATIONAL." A cheer from dozens of voices is heard over the open tannoy before it cuts off. Emily looks at Frank and shrugs nervously.

Spoiler: show

That's 200 caps in the metal box at the bottom, and a fully-stocked pharmacy. That's 10 of each medical item listed in the security section, along with 3x First Aid Kit and Surgery Kit I, 2x First Aid Kit and Surgery Kit II and 1x First Aid Kit and Surgery Kit III.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 11, 2011, 07:35:04 AM
"Mobile... as in flying? A flying vault?" In Franklin's mind, the image of the backtabbing bastard, the Overseer, merges with these assholes who kidnap children for their twisted experiments, and result is not pretty. A look of utter hatred, tinged with revulsion and bloody rage, flashes over his face as he takes several deep breaths and struggle to keep the rage contained. Repeating the sentence 'Not here, not now, save it for when it's needed' in his mind several times does the trick, as it often does, and he calms down again, looking deeply unhappy about everything instead of being two seconds away from biting the heads off kittens.

"We'll save that for later. Now, you have slaves here. We know 'cuz that's how we found your little hideout. I'm assuming they're the ones in the room over there, crying. Are they everyone you've got and what have you done to them?" 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 11, 2011, 09:13:01 AM
After giving it a cursory glance, Marcus adds all of the drugs to his own medical supplies and then picks through the various other pieces of equipment, his experienced eye pulling out the most useful gear.  Glancing back at Franklin, he motions for his bag and fills it up with some of the gear before handing the bag back over to him.

After the room practically throws itself sideways, Marcus utters, "Holy Mary Mother of God."  Then more loudly, "We need to go.  Where are the keys to the cells, Doctor?"

Spoiler: Loot list • show

I don't want to be slowed down, so I really don't have any additional carrying capacity to spare.  I glanced through Franklin's gear and it looks like he has about 50 pounds of carrying capacity remaining while still being lightly encumbered.

I'll be taking the drugs and putting them in my own First Aid Kit.

Then, I'll load the following into Franklin's bag:
Surgery Kit II (20 lbs)
First Aid Kit I x 6* (30 lbs)

* This includes the First Aid Kit I portions of the First Aid Kit IIs and First Aid Kit III.

For the time being, I am also going to throw my binoculars into Franklin's bag.  I'll retrieve it later, but the .5 pounds from that plus the .6 pounds from the drugs is enough to push me into medium encumbered.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 11, 2011, 05:20:04 PM
"Uh, Mister Robot, mang?" Hondo asks, sharing a nervous look with Elsie as they right themselves after the lurch, "What did they just 'test fire', and what does 'Fully Operational' mean?"

Spoiler: show

Hondo totally uses his disposition shift on the bot if he has to in order to get an answer
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 11, 2011, 10:43:26 PM
The robot answers Hondo. "ENGINE. TEST FI-ER-ING COM-PLETE. ARK FACILITY AT 70% OPERATIONAL CAPACITY."

Meanwhile, downstairs the terrified doctor answers Marcus. "Keys?! Um... the keys. Chandra keeps them on his belt. I... I don't know where he is!" She swallows, hard. "He's using these people to provide fresh DNA infusions for that monstrosity that he's incubating on the flight deck."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 12, 2011, 07:16:01 AM
Marcus sighs.  "Why is nothing ever easy?"  Bringing up the PipBoy, he activates the radio.  "Hondo, you there buddy?  We don't have keys, we may need your help getting the cells open."  Half waiting for a response, he looks over to the doctor, "Are the cell doors alarmed?"

Spoiler: Actions • show

If the doctor says the doors are alarmed, Marcus will add into the radio, "And we may need Alice, too.   Doors are alarmed."

In either event, Marcus is going to track down the cells next.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 12, 2011, 11:27:30 AM
Alice continued her work of subverting the computer systems, this mobile vault far too awesome to be left in the hands of these [unprintable] people.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 12, 2011, 03:42:27 PM
"A'ight," Hondo acknowledges over his Pip-Boy, letting Bernie's now smothered corpse settle gently back in its chair, leaning it casually against the wall like the poor overworked techie's just drowsy. "Comin' down."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 13, 2011, 06:49:12 AM
While Alice continues her work, shepherded by Elsie, Hondo heads downstairs to join the others. Upon sight of Hondo she gasps, and very nearly faints. The three men escort a terrified Emily into the next room.

The 'cell block' is apparently almost completely kitbashed, with the room split into three portions; a cell on each side and a central walkway. Each 'cell' (if it can really be called that) is separated from the main part of the room by a set of steel bars welded to the floor and ceiling panels. A single narrow door sits halfway along the wall of each cell, held shut with a sturdy looking chain and a padlock.

Each cell has around half-a-dozen people inside, all dressed wasteland-fashion. The left-hand cell contains four men and two women, one of which nurses a wailing infant. The right-hand cell contains a man, a woman, an adolescent girl and two young boys. You recognise the girl and one of the boys as the missing kids.

The far end of the room is a doorless wall, covered in maintenance panels that are labelled with technical details.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 13, 2011, 11:22:10 AM
Marcus turns to Hondo and Franklin.  "You guys think you can get those open?"  Then returning to his PipBoy, "Hey, Alice.  There are maintenance panels covered with some technical mumbo-jumbo down here.  How are things going up there?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 13, 2011, 03:42:53 PM
"Between the two of us? Yeah, I think we'll manage. And if we don't, there's always this..." Franklin pats the autoaxe hanging at his side. He walks down to the middle of the walkway, and adresses all of the prisoners. "Allright people, listen up. We're gonna get you out of here, but that means you're gonna have to do exactly as we say and follow our lead on everything, clear? One fuckup and it's back here, or worse, dead. So stay low, stay silent and keep close to us, and you might just see the sun again."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 13, 2011, 04:40:23 PM
"That oughtta do it. Thanks very much, Franklin."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 13, 2011, 08:47:29 PM
"You okay, lady?" Hondo asks the stricken-looking Emily. He inspects the bars of one of the cells and checks the welds, thinking a moment. Then he sits on the floor and grips a bar with both hands, close to the weld. Bracing his feet against bordering bars for leverage, he leans back and pulls hard, the muscles of his forearms bunching tight with the strain.

Spoiler: show

Athletics/Smash 1d20+10=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024463/)
I'm going to assume we're looking at either inch-thick steel bars, or slightly thicker but slightly weaker welds--either way I'm assuming a damage save of +14 for the bar to stay attached to the floor, so I'll throw on an action die, just in case:
AD 1d4.open(4)=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024468/)
That's a total of 31, which means the bar has to roll like a 17 to stay attached to the floor. I'm comfortable with that. If I can bust it off the floor, bending it to create space people can slip through shouldn't be that big a deal.

This check might not be a bad place for an assist roll from Frank. :)

Or this one, which can either be a retry, or the check to bust off a bar on the other cell.
Athletics/Smash 1d20+10=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024475/)
And an action die for good measure: AD 1d4.open(4)=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024476/)
Total 27. Plus any assist Frank (or Frank and Marcus both) can provide.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 14, 2011, 12:20:44 AM
Franklin moves in to assist, but find it difficult to squeeze in around Hondo's considerable bulk.

Spoiler: show

Athletics/Smash assist 1d20+10=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024672/).
If I'm reading the rules right, that's four below what I need, so no bonus from me. I could spend an AD to maybe succeed, but I'm not sure it's worth it for a +1 on Hondo's check...
Athletics/Smash assist # 2: 1d20+10=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3024674/)
Better, that should give a +1 to Hondo's check.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 14, 2011, 09:18:07 AM
With a horrendous screech of tortured metal, one of the bars pings loose. Hondo and Frank easily twist and bend it aside, and the wastelanders within start to squeeze through the gap, one at a time. Soon enough the pair have the other cell open too, and a veritable caravan of wastelanders in tow. They introduce themselves as follows:

o  3 men: Andy, John and Stephen; they are all very tall, although Stephen is very skinny whereas Andy and John are solidly built.
o  2 women: Kate and Sharon; Kate is short and in her early 30s. Sharon is slightly older and her long dark hair has grey streaks.
o  A couple: John and Maggie, with thier baby daughter Deana. John has a cleft palette, and Maggie is below average height.
o  A father and son: Audigas is in his 20s, and his son Vlad is in his early teens.
o  A pair of siblings: Anabelle (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100506065954/fallout/images/e/e4/Angela_Staley.jpg) and Joey (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081208043627/fallout/images/9/95/Ralph.jpg).

Meanwhile, upstairs Alice is making serious headway. She opens herself a new account with root access under the username 'Tech Mistress', and uses it to add the group's Pip-Boys to the network as trusted devices. Next, she makes sure that all security doors,  robots and IFF systems see the team as friends.

Once that's done, she runs a search for security cameras, and finds that they are subdivided into 'internal' and 'external', and the 'external' ones have just come online. Whilst waiting for one of her other exploits to time-out, she idly checks an external camera and something that she really, really wasn't expecting (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2005/183/6/a/Environment__POST_APOCALYPSE_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg)...

Spoiler: show

The camera is apparently on the Ark's underside. It's listed as 'ventral bow cam'. And yes, the camera really is viewing the cityscape from that altitude.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 14, 2011, 10:38:42 AM
Alice's jaw dropped.  "Holy what the fuck?"  She started flipping through internal cameras, looking for the control room. "Maybe taking the weapons offline is moving up the priority list," she muttered grimly as she continued subverting their system.

Spoiler: show
Are there separate tags for command and security personnel?  It might be time for a little ED-209 type "malfunction."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 15, 2011, 02:29:31 AM
Alice continues flipped through the cameras, unfortunately finding that weapon systems are not attached to the local intranet - they appear to be stand-alone devices with their own gun crews. After another minute or two, Alice settles on two final windows, each displaying an image that she finds deeply disturbing.

The first is a view of what must be this place's command centre; a multi-tiered, open-plan bridge at least three stories high, looking out over a massive set of viewports that view the ruins below. The room is crewed by at least a dozen personnel in what look like military uniforms, with distinctive patches on their left (http://www.jaimielynphotography.com/images/Air_Force_Space_Command.png) and right (http://www.usarmypatches.com/Collect/Misc/Misc%20Patch%20US%20Flag.gif) shoulders. The man that is obviously in charge (http://www.gpsworld.com/files/gpsworld/nodes/2010/9886/GenKehler.jpg) appears to be dressing-down one of his underlings.
"I appreciate that lieutenant, we have our orders. Helm, set course due-south west. We'll pick up the Vertibird squadron from the Intrepid, then head north to rendezvous with our ground forces. Without our air-support, the attack on West Point simply ceases to be viable." He pauses. "Chandra, is your special project ready for deployment?"

On the second screen, a small man in a lab coat (http://www.maxmangas.net/pics/0804/18/7803372rel.jpg) responds to the question. "Yes, General. The Doomclaw is ready to be birthed." He smiles in a manner that can only be described as sadistic. Behind him is an incubation tank filled with amniotic fluid, underlit with an orange glow. Something floats inside the tank, and the only point of reference that you have for scale is the partially disassembled vertibird next to it. The tank must be fully three stories high...

Back on the bridge, the General (whose name you have yet to determine) nods his approval. He turns to a nearby technician (http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/USAF_Airman_Battle_Uniform.jpg/86px-USAF_Airman_Battle_Uniform.jpg) and says
"Inform fire control to spin up the magnetic accelerators and ready the main dorsal coilgun. The Empire State Republic is going to provide us with a little impromptu target practice." The technician nods and begins speaking into a microphone attached to his console. "Fire control, this is the bridge. Prime the dorsal coilgun and ready it to fire. Target will be engaged in T-minus 10 minutes."

As that happens, the rest of the party - along with the rescued prisoners - come up the stairs and enter the room.

Spoiler: show

Combat commands for the robots appear to be managed by computer too, but that section of the server is apparently normally manned from the bridge, and WILL be a fully opposed hacking Dramatic Conflict.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on May 15, 2011, 12:40:48 PM
Elsie uses Tex to keep the kids entertained.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 17, 2011, 02:33:11 AM
"Well, Franklin and myself are better with close-in work.  One of us can go in as Bernie, the other can drop in from above.  Those of you with guns should be able to shoot from the upper platform relatively safely."  With a wink towards Elsie, "Just try to remember which guy in the suit down there is on your side."

"Franklin, Alice, why don't you go back to that platform and make sure the rope is ready to go.  Elsie, please check with the people we just rescued.  God-willing. maybe someone there is capable of helping us fight.  And Hondo, would you care to help me get that suit off of Bernie and onto me?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on May 17, 2011, 02:50:01 AM
Elsie scowls at Marcus. "Jeez, are you ever gonna let me forget that?!" She steps over to the group of survivors to ask if any of them have combat experience.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 17, 2011, 02:59:01 AM
Elsie asks the survivors if they can fight. She gets the following responses:

o  Andy, John and Stephen: "Hell yes! Give us some guns and sharp sticks and we'll make these Enclave bastards pay!"
o  Kate: "I can fight if I need to. Wait, will I need to?"
o  Sharon: "Not really... sorry."
o  John: "Yeah, but I ain't taking but two steps away from my wife and kid."
o  Audingas: "Jes! I fight good, ja?" He grins enthusiastically.

Marcus strips off "bernie's" suit, and with Hondo to zip up the back puts it on. While all this is going on, Emily opens a refrigerated cabinet and pulls out a small white bottle with a teat on the top. She hands it to Maggie, who smiles weakly and quietly nods her thanks whilst feeding it to the baby.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 17, 2011, 04:09:07 AM
Already was well equipped as possible, Alice returned her attention to the computer while the rest suited up, and began deleting user accounts, starting with the accounts with the most priviledges.  She looked up at the mention of her name. "The rope ready to go where?  Aren't we starting our roaring rampage of revenge in that room?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 17, 2011, 04:58:45 AM
As Alice begins accessing other user accounts, suddenly a warning flashes up on the screen:

>ALERT! SECURITY BREACH DETECTED!
>SECURITY TO MAIN LAB. TERMINATE INTRUDERS WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

>REBOOTING NETWORK.

>LOGGING OUT...

The screen goes black, and a number of the humming computer banks nearby cycle down as they reboot. Even the brainbots temporarily pause as they reset.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 17, 2011, 05:52:41 AM
"Good thing we're in robotics, not the main lab," Alice said with a nervous giggle. "Now let me see about keeping them out of their system after the reboot."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 17, 2011, 11:34:21 AM
Franklin scowls at the news. "Either way, that's not good. We gotta move fast, before they get too organized."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 17, 2011, 11:37:29 AM
"I'll be moving as fast as I can when this comes back up.  There is a lot of computator power here in robotics, I should be able to keep them from getting organized at all."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 19, 2011, 05:11:27 AM
Frank, Marcus and Hondo all move over to the door leading back into engineering; the sound of the pulsing engines can almost be felt through the deck plating. Elsie snaps her fingers at Tex, making him stand up on his back legs. She twirls a finger around and around his head, making him hop around in circles – Joey, Annabelle and Vlad are all incredibly amused by this.

Andy, big John, Stephen and Audingas all take a knife from Hondo and stand ready to rush the engineers with them, whereas short John takes the knife, but steps away from the others to stand by his wife and child. Kate and Sharon volunteer to keep an eye on Maggie and baby Deana, although Kate is not very happy that she doesn't have a weapon.

Doctor Calvin (that's Emily, by the way...) stands off to one side, looking as if she has no idea what to do. Meanwhile, Alice impatiently drums her fingers on the top of a nearby monitor, watching as the Ark’s intranet restarts painfully slowly.


Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)

We’ll run it in the order it goes on the front page until if/when a combat kicks off.

T-Minus 54 rounds

Frank leaves his bag with the NPCs, and moves over to the bulkhead door leading into the forward engine room. He has nothing readied.

Marcus moves over to the bulkhead door, by Frank. He has nothing readied.

Hondo moves over to the bulkhead door, by Frank. He has a tire iron readied. The men folk each take a knife from Hondo and ready them.

Elsie uses a free action to activate Tex’s entertain on command quality. She has nothing readied.

Tex rolls a 16 for his Acrobatics check. The kids fail their Sense Motive checks and give up any actions to watch him do cute things.
 
Alice forgoes her action to wait by the restarting terminal. She has nothing readied.

T-Minus 53 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 19, 2011, 06:22:31 AM
As Alice continued watching the monitor, she gave her trusty Pip-Boy a look.  "Can we raise the penguins' control boxes from here?" she wondered as she poked at the controls, with an eye out for the Enclave doctor.

Spoiler: show
If possible, Alice would like to turn the Deathclaws loose on Security.  And where are John and his family in relation to Alice and Dr. Calvin?

Next round Jenkins will be readied, unless the computers come back online.

pulled out her trusty wrench and cradled it in her arms. [/i] "Don't worry boy, we'll get you something to fix, or break, soon," she said quietly, giving the computer an irritated glare, and keeping the Enclave doctor in view.

Can Alice use Computers in place of Intimidate to scare this machinery into working faster?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 19, 2011, 08:54:42 AM
Turning towards his companions, Marcus shrugs.  "Well, here goes nothing.  Get ready guys."  Then, pulling the helmet over his head, Marcus marches right into engineering like he owns the place.  "Sorry for the delay.  Our door guards can be hard to control, what with the computer trouble we seem to be having."

Spoiler: Actions • show

Given my Bluff skill, I suspect this is going to go bad, I just hope they don't shoot first.

Bluff/Deception +1: 1d20+1 → [20,1] = (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3031810/)

Holy crap, a threat.  I am so activating that.  Hopefully, when coupled with the Apparent Risk to Target and Apparent Nature of Deception modifiers, they'll buy my story.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on May 19, 2011, 09:11:39 AM
Franklin stacks up beside the entrance to engineering, well out of sight when the door opens. He takes out the autoaxe and holds it ready, then nods to Marcus as he's getting ready. "Good luck, and try not to die, ok?"

Spoiler: Actions • show

Move up to door, ending up in full cover from engineering so I won't have to make any rolls for hiding.
Ready autoaxe. I assume it's a free action to actually start the thing? And, what's the noise level here? Will they hear if I start the axe now?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 19, 2011, 04:23:59 PM
Hondo stands behind Frank, so he's doubly-hidden, but ready to rush in right behind the auto-axe.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 20, 2011, 07:59:27 AM
Alice calls up the Deathclaws on her pip-boy and issues the 'kill' command. Their status changes to active, and they leave the open airlock.

Across the chamber, Marcus nonchalantly walks out of the door in his new disguise. He takes a moment to look down onto the floor below, observing the technical staff going about their work. The engines seem to be working amazingly well, and now that he's a bit closer, he can see that they've received substantial repairs. Marcus walks along the gantry toward a set of stairs off to his right (the Ark's port side, remembering that he's facing aft), and begins descending.


Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)

T-Minus 53 rounds

Frank stands by the bulkhead door.

Marcus moves across the gantry and down to the next level. We'll run that check as a Falsify/Disguise check, in all fairness. The check succeeds, and under the circumstances i'd recommend against spending an action die - there's no point.

Hondo stands by the bulkhead door.

Elsie continues to use Tex’s entertain on command quality.

Tex rolls an 18 for his Acrobatics check. The kids fail their Sense Motive checks and continue to watch him do cute things.
 
Alice uses a free action to contact the Deathclaws via her Pip-Boy. She uses a full-round action to issue a command, changing their status to 'active'.

T-Minus 52 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 20, 2011, 04:16:21 PM
Hondo continues standing by, ready to roll in after Frank.

Spoiler: show

How far down is the level with the techs? If someone were to, say, jump it, what kind of distance/check are we looking at?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 20, 2011, 08:03:11 PM
Marcus makes his way down the stairs, glancing at the ordered chaos below him.  Reaching the bottom of the stairs, he works his way towards the headphoned individual, glancing at various dials and handles without really seeing any of it.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 22, 2011, 12:55:16 AM
Marcus nonchalantly saunters across the deck, weaving through the group of technicians. He stops next to a slightly raised platform, surrounded on three sides by control consoles. The man with the ear defenders stands atop it, his back to the impostor.

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)

T-Minus 52 rounds

Marcus moves into position while the others wait for the 'go' signal. The platform is a few feet high, and won't impede movement.

T-Minus 51 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 22, 2011, 12:14:48 PM
Marcus pauses for the briefest of moments, saying a mental prayer, before he lunges onto the platform and at his adversary.  Planting his left hand firmly on his opponent's left shoulder, he pushes and spins the target to his right while bringing the ridged edge of his right hand hard towards his target's unprotected throat...and mentally curses as it lands too low, doing nothing but thumping against the target's chest.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Unarmed Attack/Cheap Shot (Strength) +0: 1d20 → [3] = (3)

Oh well.  I can't even throw enough action dice at it to help.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 23, 2011, 09:50:37 AM
Alice continued watching the monitor, drawing and idly stroking her wrench while wondering what the flight controls do during the reboot.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 23, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
Marcus makes his move, lunging toward the supervisor and lashing at at his throat. He mistimes the step, and the blow thuds into the man's chest. He responds by staggering backwards in surprise, rubbing the point of impact and glaring at Marcus, obviously unsure of what just happened. A pair of nearby techs stop what they are doing to look on with confusion.

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)

T-Minus 51 rounds

Marcus moves over to and attacks the supervisor. He misses.

T-Minus 50 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 23, 2011, 01:05:33 PM
Alice stomped on the grating in front of the computer and waved Jenkins near the monitor.  "Quit being such a blood insolent machine!  Hurry up before you need some percussive maintenance!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 23, 2011, 04:40:22 PM
Frank, seeing Marcus start getting hostile, hits the stairs and barrels down into the techs. Hondo is right behind him, and the rest of the gang after that, whooping like savages.

Spoiler: show

I assume it's a double move for everybody to roll down the stairs and amongst the techs, who are still flat-footed (and so don't impede movement, right?) That is, Frank doesn't have to stop when he's adjacent to the first tech, because that tech is flat-footed, right? So we can pile into the crowd and be all over 'em before they realize that death's come to the engine room?

If it is not a double-move, let me know OOC, and I'll put some attack checks in here, too. What kind of action does it take to start the auto-axe? Is it a pull-cord half action, or a push-button free action?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on May 24, 2011, 01:10:05 AM
Elsie does her level best to keep the kids away from the impending bloodbath.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 24, 2011, 02:38:17 AM
"Traitor!", Marcus called out, hoping the suit would muffle his voice and identity enough to disguise who was under the suit.  "You let those intruders onto this vessel!", he continues as he lunges forward and grabs at the man.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Full Action: Athletics/Grapple +8 +7: 1d20+8 → [17,8] = (25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3039146/)
The above result is 24, not 25.  I accidentally used my Athletics/Con score instead of Athletics/Str in Invisible Castle.

If he rolls an error on his check, I'll activate it for a pin, otherwise, I am just grabbing him.

If the grab is successful, this is my opposed roll for use on his turn.
1d20+7 → [12,7] = (19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3039149/)

If I win that, then I will pin him.  If he is already pinned from some earlier event, like a critical failure on his part, I'll injure him and attempt to break a leg using Submission Basics Snap! trick.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 24, 2011, 03:53:01 AM
While Elsie keeps the kids distracted and Alice looms threateningly over the computer terminal, most of the rest of the party bolts out of the room and into engineering. Frank, Hondo and the men-folk run pell-mell along the metal level 2 gantry, clattering down the stairs to level 1 and charging into melee. Marcus lunges forward again, grabbing a hold of the startled supervisor, berating him as he places him in a firm arm lock.

Upstairs as the last person leaves the room, the monitor in front of Alice beeps obediently as the mainframe finishes rebooting.


Spoiler: show

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Supervisor 13 (appears uninjured)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (4 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (5 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (5 members, all uninjured)

T-Minus 50 rounds

Alice continues to hold her action, waiting for the computer to reboot.

Frank takes a double move down the stairs and into melee.

Marcus successfully grapples the Enclave Supervisor.

Hondo takes a double move down the stairs and into melee.

The Enclave Supervisor attempts to escape the Grapple. He fails, becoming pinned.

Elsie keeps entertaining the kids.

The Civilian Mob takes a double move down the stairs and into melee.

Technician Mob ‘A’ take the Total Defense action.

Technician Mob ‘B’ move over to Marcus and the Enclave Supervisor, moving into reach.

At the end of the round, the computer system finishes rebooting.

T-Minus 49 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Supervisor 13 (appears uninjured) pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (4 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (5 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (5 members, all uninjured)

ACTIONS PLEASE!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 24, 2011, 04:14:07 AM
Alice's fingers danced over the keys as she worked, Jenkins on the shelf by the monitor, hopping back into the root and looking for Dr. Chandra and the Commander's accounts to delete and kick them out of the system.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 24, 2011, 03:51:58 PM
"Eat it, bitches!" shouts Hondo, laying mightily into the nearby techs with the wicked length of steel in his fist.

Spoiler: show

Two attacks looks like the order of the day. If I don't bring down my first target with the first attack, he gets the second one, too.

Half-action Attack 1: 1d20+8=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3040602/)
For 1d6+5=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3040604/) blunt lethal damage
5' step if needed.
Half-action Attack 2: 1d20+8=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3040603/)
For 1d6+5=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3040605/) blunt lethal damage
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 25, 2011, 08:59:31 AM
Marcus slips in behind the Supervisor, twisting and locking the Supervisor's arm behind his back with one hand and wrapping his other arm under the Supervisor's jaw.  Marcus Growls into the Supervisor's ear, "If you know what's good for you, you'll stop struggling."

Spoiler: actions • show

I am going to delay until 12, after the Supervisor's turn.

If, on the Supervisor's turns, he tries to break free and I win the grapple, I am going to choose the Injure Opponent benefit and use the Snap! trick to attempt to break his leg.  Then I'll use my action to try to either break his leg again, if the first attempt failed, or to break his arm.

On the Supervisor's turns, if he tries to break free and he wins, I am going to use my turn to try to pin him again.

Assuming he tries to struggle:
   Grapple Checks:
      1d20+7 → [19,7] = (26)
      1d20+7 → [16,7] = (23)

   Damages:
      1d6+2 → [1,2] = (3) - Fort DC 11
      1d6+2 → [1,2] = (3) - Fort DC 11

Snap! is from Submission Basics on page 188.

Couple of notes: According to the pinned description, I benefit from half-cover and he may only speak as the person pinning him allows.  In this case, I'm not allowing that.  I don't want him shouting orders to help organize the mobs.

Dice Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3041513/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 26, 2011, 02:40:15 AM
As Alice logs back into the computer, a firewall immediately halts her progress asking for a password. She enters her password and logs in, and is stopped again as the system slows to a crawl, beginning to defrag itself. She quickly realises that someone, somewhere in the Ark is on to her, and attempting to stymie her efforts.

Meanwhile, outside in the engine room, Hondo, Marcus and the civilians punch, kick, stab and whack their way through the technicians, who seem completely caught on the back foot. Hondo drops two, and with a terrible roar, Frank wades in with his autoaxe, hacking and chopping two of the technicians into salsa. Across the room, Marcus grapples with the supervisor, finishing him of with a sharp twist of his neck that leaves no-one in any doubt that he is quite dead.

Then it happens. With a clatter that is barely audible over the machinery, the melee and the roaring autoaxe, two grenades fall to the floor, bouncing slightly before they detonate, with a blinding flash and a deafening bang. Hondo drops his crowbar, staggering backwards, as does the surviving technician from the first group; Frank somehow escapes unscathed. Across the engine room, the second grenade goes off, stunning two of the techs as Marcus dumps the limp supervisor to the floor. The civilian men are utterly unprepared, and the flash/bangs leave them lying scattering around the room, curled up in groaning balls on the floor.

Marcus and Frank both spot three figures in some sort of advanced armour (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110503152811/fallout/images/c/c7/Fo3_APA_Enclave.png) moving down the stairs and taking up positions in cover behind machinery. Another two look down on the engine room from level 2, on the far side of the room from Robotics. The security team has arrived, and judging from their laser rifles, they mean business.

A voice over the intercom announces
"FIRING IN T-MINUS 8 MINUTES."

Spoiler: show

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Supervisor 13 (appears uninjured) pinned
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, all uninjured)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (4 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (5 members, all uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (5 members, all uninjured)

T-Minus 49 rounds

Alice initiates a hacking Dramatic Conflict. The starting Lead is 4, and this conflict round has a duration of 8 rounds. The Predator’s (Alice) terminal is PR5. The Prey’s (Enclave Tech) terminal is PR4, and possesses a PR4 security program and a PR4 trace program. Jim, please select a Strategy.

The Enclave Computer Specialist enters the hacking Dramatic Conflict.

Frank attacks with his autoaxe twice, causing 17 and 14 damage. He hits twice, and they both fail their damage saves.

Marcus delays his action, waiting for the Enclave Supervisor’s turn.

Hondo attacks two of the technicians. He hits twice, and they both fail their damage saves.

The Enclave Supervisor attempts to escape the grapple. He fails, and suffers 3 damage, passing the damage and ‘Snap!’ saves. Marcus takes his action and successfully grapples the supervisor, inflicting 3 damage. The supervisor fails the damage save.

Enclave Security Team splits. Two stay where they are on level 2 and throw flash/bangs into the two melees below. The one hurled at Mob A lands next to Hondo. It goes off, causing 18 Flash and 20 Bang damage. Hondo fails both saves, and is knocked prone. Frank, the Enclave Tech and the Civilians suffer 9 Flash and 10 Bang damage. The Tech and Civilians all fail the Bang save and are stunned. Frank passes.
The one hurled at Mob B misses, scattering off to one side and catching two of the three technicians who suffer 17 Flash and 14 Bang damage. They both fail both saves. I’ll rules that Marcus and the other three suffer 8 Flash and 7 Bang damage. They all pass their saves.
The other three Enclave troops each take a double move to move down to level 1.

Elsie keeps entertaining the kids.

The Civilian Mob is stunned.

Technician Mob ‘A’ has one survivor, and he is stunned.

Technician Mob ‘B’ is split; two are blinded and stunned. The other three run for the exit, heading aft.

T-Minus 48 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45) blinded for 1 round; stunned for 1 round; prone
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (4 members, slightly stressed) stunned for 4 rounds; 2 are prone
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed) stunned for 1 round
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (5 members, 3 uninjured, 2 slightly stressed) 2 are blinded for 1 round; stunned for 1 round

ACTIONS PLEASE!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on May 26, 2011, 06:30:55 AM
"Ooooh.  Gettin' feisty." Alice glared at the monitor.  "Time to strap on the code wang and get to rapin'.  C'mere sweety." She gave the computer bank a malicious and slightly crazy glance and resumed typing.

Spoiler: show
I'm a bit fuzzy on the Hacking, since it's not something I've done.
Here is the roll: (1d20+9=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3042629/), with the "Code Slinging" strategy.  Is there a plus for having a higher power rating?

This strategy just gains more lead if Alice wins, right?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on May 26, 2011, 07:25:55 PM
Marcus leaps off the platform into a forward roll and charges right up to one of the newcomers.

Spoiler: Actions • show

If there is at least one of the new Soldiers within 30 feet, I am going Total Defense and moving adjacent to one of them.  My preference is one next to a wall so it is harder for him to move away from me.  I would like to keep him in melee range to make it harder for him and his friends to shoot me.

Ideal situation.
W
W S M
W

W = Wall
S = Soldier
M = Me

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 29, 2011, 09:24:15 AM
Hondo scrambles off the ground and into the face of one of the security goons, scrabbling for the man's rifle.

Spoiler: show

I want to get adjacent and stay as adjacent as possible. If I can get somebody into a corner where they have to stay adjacent to me, so much the better--I really want that "in melee" ranged attack modifer so I don't get Lased to death.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on May 30, 2011, 06:22:12 AM
As the shock from the flash/bangs clears, Frank, Marcus and Hondo are the only people at ground level left standing. They use the opportunity to rush the Enclave troops, but like a well-oiled machine the power-armoured soldiers all simultaneously backpedal, firing as they go. Frank weaves off to one side, ducking behind a bank of machinery as a shot aimed at his chest slams into it. Marcus is not so lucky, and before he can reach his target a laser bolt finds its mark, punching a neat hole through his abdomen on the lower left side. The other two troops above pause for a moment to survey the situation... and then begin calmly and methodically executing the stunned civilians, beginning with those still standing.

Spoiler: show


Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 39/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45) blinded for 1 round; stunned for 1 round; prone
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, all uninjured)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (4 members, slightly stressed) stunned for 4 rounds; 2 are prone
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed) stunned for 1 round
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (5 members, 3 uninjured, 2 slightly stressed) 2 are blinded for 1 round; stunned for 1 round

T-Minus 48 rounds

Alice is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and her Strategy will take effect in 7 rounds.

The Enclave Computer Specialist is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and his Strategy will take effect in 7 rounds.

Frank takes a double move over to one of the Enclave troops and engages them in melee.

Marcus takes a double move over to one of the Enclave troops and engages them in melee.

Hondo takes a double move over to one of the Enclave troops and engages them in melee.

Two of the Enclave Security Team are on level 2. They each use a two half action to shoot twice at the two standing civilians. Each one is hit once, and one fails his damage save.
The other three Enclave troops are each engaged in melee. They all take a free 5 ft. step back and fire twice at the person who has moved over to them. Frank is hit once for 7 damage, cutting through his DR. Marcus is hit once, and it is a threat, confirmed fro free thanks to Bloodbath. He takes 9 directly off his Wounds. The one on Hondo suffers a -8 penalty and +4 error range, still being within his reach. Both attacks miss, but neither is an error.

Elsie keeps entertaining the kids.

The Civilian Mob is still stunned.

Technician Mob ‘A’ has one survivor, and he is stunned, recovering at the end of the round.

Technician Mob ‘B’ is split; two are blinded and stunned, recovering from both conditions at the end of the round. The other three exit forward engineering, heading aft.

T-Minus 47 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, all uninjured)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (3 members, slightly stressed) stunned for 3 rounds; 2 are prone; 1 has suffered 12 damage
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (2 members, 2 slightly stressed)

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on May 31, 2011, 03:05:57 PM
Hondo overbears the armored trooper, grabbing and twisting at the suited figure in ways that make servos whine in protest, a contest of groaning metal versus grunting meat.

Spoiler: show

Athletics to Grapple: 1d20+14=30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3050740/)
I'm including the +4 there for being a size category bigger than the trooper, which I assume I am.

On his turn, assuming he's held (and I sure hope he is), I'll oppose his check to escape, and Pin if I win:
Stay right here pal: 1d20+14=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3050747/)
Oh dear, that's not an error (whew), but it's time for a shitload of action dice. I'll use these one at a time until I push to success.
AD 1: 1d4.open(4)=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3050748/)
AD 2: ...holy fuck. I've never seen a single die do that. I guess I'll stop there.
AD 3:

I assume this also means we're all kinds of in melee, so outside shooters take the -4 penalty (Hondo's denied his dex bonus, but ironically that would actually improve his defense).


Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 01, 2011, 08:37:46 AM
"What the crap?" Alice asked as the flashes lit up the corridor. "That can't be good, and this will wait a moment," she muttered as she holstered Jenkins and hoisted Lady Joan before moving down the hallway.  Nearing the doorway she paused and crouched to stay in the shadows as Lady Joan focused her attention on the trooper who shot Marcus.

Spoiler: show
How wide is the chamber?  They're all in Lady Joan's first range increment, but I don't think they are in CQB range, and I doubt Alice is flanking any of them.

If there is time in the round, an attack; Damage, If applicable, sneak attack damage. (1d20+5, 2d12+2, 1d6=[20, 5], [8, 7, 2](AP 10), [1]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3051965/)  ...   :o  I, I'll take that. 

Annnnd then I reread the OOC.  Why the half round setup for Lady Joan?  Bulky means Alice just lost 4 from her initiative count, not a setup time.  Whatever, if it needs to wait until next round, it can wait.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 01, 2011, 10:38:06 AM
With a roar of pain, frustration and anger, Marcus launches himself at the soldier that shot him.

Spoiler: actions • show

5 foot step to move adjacent, then grapple the soldier who shot me.

Grapple Checks: 1d20+7 → [10,7] = (17)
Adding an action die: 1d4.open(4) → [[4, 3]] = (7)
Total is 24.

If I win that check, then the opposed check on his turn: 1d20+7 → [8,7] = (15)
If by some miracle he rolls worse than I did on the second check, I'll go for the pin.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 02, 2011, 07:06:54 AM
Franklin briefly checks out the guy in front of him before attacking. He looks pretty well armored... lucky for Frank he's got quite the can opener in his hands. He grins menacingly at the armored trooper, before finally lunging at his torso with the autoaxe.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Half Action: Assume Menacing Stance.
Half Action: Standard Attack against closest trooper using autoaxe w/ Sunder trick applied, 1d20+8=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053912/). If it hits I'll use Savagery II, dealing max damage, 20, also applied to his armor, and 1d4+1=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053916/) +1=5 stress damage. Applicable qualities: bleed, keen 5, AP2, takedown.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 02, 2011, 09:05:53 AM
Alice dashes out onto the balcony overlooking engineering, readying her rifle to see what she can do. She arrives just in time to see two Enclave soldiers putting the rest of the civilian menfolk to death. The four of them are repeatedly pierced by laser bolts, tossed about like rag-dolls before they fall to the floor and lie still. Moments later Elsie joins her, drawing her hand cannon and flicking off the safety.

Below, Marcus and Hondo each grab a hold of their targets, forcing them backwards and pinning them against the aft bulkhead. Frank goes to work on the third with his autoaxe, the monstrous thing screeching and spitting sparks this way and that as it seeks to find purchase on the hapless soldier's armour. Amazingly, the suit of armour holds - the trooper braces his back against the bulkhead behind him and kicks Frank away from him. His armour is scored from the right shoulder to the left hip, but he seems unfazed. He uses the momentary opportunity to swing the butt of his rifle at his attacker, but Frank easily deflects it with his whirring weapon, taking a chunk out of the stock.


Spoiler: show


Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, all uninjured)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (3 members, slightly stressed) stunned for 3 rounds; 2 are prone; 1 has suffered 12 damage
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (2 members, 2 slightly stressed)

T-Minus 47 rounds

Alice is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and her Strategy will take effect in 6 rounds. She uses a half action to ready her rifle, and a half action to move out of Robotics and onto the balcony.

The Enclave Computer Specialist is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and his Strategy will take effect in 7 rounds.

Frank takes a 5 ft. step over to one of the Enclave troops and attacks them with his Autoaxe. He hits, inflicting 20 lethal damage (reduced to 10 by DR) and 5 stress damage. The target passes his damage save, and his armour passes its damage save too. However, he fails his TKD save and is sprawled.

Marcus takes a 5 ft. step over to one of the Enclave troops and initiates a Grapple. He succeeds and the target is held.

Hondo takes a 5 ft. step over to one of the Enclave troops and initiates a Grapple. He succeeds and the target is held.

Two of the Enclave Security Team are on level 2. They each use two half actions to shoot twice at the civilians. Each one is hit at least once, and they all fail their damage saves.
The other three Enclave troops are each engaged in melee. Two are held and try to escape. Both fail miserably and become pinned. The third is in melee with Frank. He attempts to use his laser rifle as an improvised weapon, but misses.

Elsie follows Alice out onto the balcony, readying her Desert Eagle.

The Civilian Mob are all dead or dying.

Technician Mob ‘A’ has one member left, and he moves over to the exit to engineering, heading aft.

Technician Mob ‘B’ has two members left, and they move over to the exit to engineering, heading aft.

T-Minus 46 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, 1 moderately injured/lightly stressed) 2 are pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Civilian Mob 10 (all are dead)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (2 members, 2 slightly stressed)

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 02, 2011, 09:25:20 AM
With an expression of manic determination, Franklin keeps at it, determined to get at the soft, chewy center of this teeth-breakingly hard snack.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Half Action: Standard Attack using Autoaxe with Sunder! trick, 1d20+8=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054061/), damage 2d8+4=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054062/) lethal, 1d4+2=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054063/) stress.
Free Action: 5 ft. free move diagonally towards one of the others, still keeping in melee range of the guy I'm working on right now.
Half Action: Standard Attack using Autoaxe with Sunder! trick, 1d20+8=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054064/), 2d8+4=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054065/) lethal and 1d4+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054066/) stress.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 02, 2011, 10:22:00 AM
Marcus grunts as he slams into his opponent, pinning him to the wall.  He then proceeds to repeatedly slam his opponent's weapon arm into the wall, trying to get him to relinquish his grip.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Unfortunately, my unarmed damage is going to have a hard time cracking his armor as it is, so I am going to try to even the score a little.

Full Action Grapple: 1d20+7 → [2,7] = (9)
He'll likely break his pin with that check, but if he doesn't and I win I am going to disarm him.

My opposed Grapple roll for his turn: 1d20+7 → [19,7] = (26)
If I win and he broke his pin earlier, I'll pin him again.  If he is still pinned and disarmed from earlier, I'll use Manipulate Opponent's Gear on his armor to cut his DR in half.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054175/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 02, 2011, 11:44:27 AM
Alice and Lady Joan surveyed the carnage in the driveshaft room.  When the trooper facing Franklin fell from the power of the ex-Vault Dweller's attack, Joan roared, the huge slug tearing into the sprawled goon.

Spoiler: show
Attack; Damage; if applicable, sneak attack damage. (1d20+5, 2d12+2, 1d6=[20, 5], [8, 7, 2](AP 10), [1]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3051965/)  ...   :o  I, I'll take that.

Ow.  His armor might as well not be there as far as Lady Joan is concerned, and with sprawled, the Sneak Attack die is there if Alice and Joan are in CQB range, 30 feet.  Oh, and it's a crit.

If we get a couple more security teams, we may have enough pieces to build a suit for Hondo...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 02, 2011, 02:16:36 PM
Hondo sweeps the trooper's knees, flipping him onto his back. As the man's feet swing into the air, Hondo grabs him by the calves and USES HIM AS A CLUB on a fleeing technician.

Spoiler: show

On Hondo's turn, Grapple to Move the whole mess toward the techs (I'd love to actually get in their way and use the adjacency movement-halt to my advantage and keep them in here if I can).
Grapple 1d20+14=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054407/)
On the trooper's turn, I go for broke
Grapple [1d20+14=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054408/)
I'm gonna spend an action die on this grapple check--20 feels borderline. AD 1d4.open(4)=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054409/). Sigh.
Well, I'm going to hope it works, and assuming I won both checks, I use Screaming Club to clobber a tech.
WHAM! 1d20+8=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054415/)
Assuming that hits the tech, both he and the trooper take Massive Club damage: 2d6+5=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3054418/) subdual (qualities Massive, Takedown).
That'll do.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on June 03, 2011, 06:39:01 AM
Elsie stands on the edge of the balcony, peering about in addled confusion. Spotting the two goons on the same level as her and Alice on the far side of the room, she raises her Desert Eagle and - screwing up her face in anticipation of the recoil - fires twice.

Spoiler: show

Attack x2: 1d20+4=5, 1d20+4=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3055429/)

Crap - that first one's an error, so I have to roll a damage save, right?

Damage Save: I figure steel+diminutive=+16? 1d20+16=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3055435/)

Shooting Damage if the other one hits: 3d6+1=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3055431/), +TKD
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 03, 2011, 11:05:06 AM
The swirling melee below begins to inflict casualties; Frank bears down on the Encalve soldier with his autoaxe, creating an awful shrieking noise as the whirring blade bites down into the armour. The effect is like a can-opener, and the soft, fleshy soldier insider is ripped to shreds. A foot-wide streak of blood spatters up the bulkhead wall and across the underside of the level 2 balcony, raining down on Frank and coating him in a layer of gore.

Meanwhile, as Marcus battles back and forth with his target, Hondo lifts one of the troopers bodily off the ground. With a grunt of effort, he heaves the armoured mass at a fleeing technician. The poor man is crushed under the falling weight, and as the trooper tries to regain his footing, a deafining report echoes around the chamber, momentarily drowning out even the engines. The trooper's head simply vanishes, exploding like a ripe metal melon loaded with blood, grey-matter and teeth. The headless corpse - which had managed to drag itself up to one knee - topples over, collapsing into a heap on the deck.

Elsie follows Alice's lead, firing off a pair of large-caliber rounds at one of the snipers on level 2. After a momentary fumble with the safety, she fires, and is rewarded with a satisfying
SPATANG!! The trooper's head is snapped backwards as the round hits him right between the eyes... he steadies himself, and then taps his partner on the shoulder, gesturing at Elsie and Alice. After only a fraction of a second's hesitation, both soldiers shoulder their weapons and fire. A barrage of laser bolts rips back-and-forth along the balcony, and both women are forced to duck and weave, throwing themselves out of the way.

Spoiler: show


Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 27/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (5 members, 1 moderately injured/lightly stressed) 2 are pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 33/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member, slightly stressed)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (2 members, 2 slightly stressed)

T-Minus 46 rounds

Alice is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and her Strategy will take effect in 5 rounds. She uses a half action to delay until Hondo has taken his action.

The Enclave Computer Specialist is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and his Strategy will take effect in 5 rounds.

Frank attacks his target twice. Both attacks hit, causing 12 and 14 damage (reduced to 2 and 4 by DR). He passes the first save but fails the second.

Marcus continues to Grapple his target. The Enclave soldier wins, breaking the pin.

Hondo successfully Grapples his target and chooses the screaming club benefit. He hits the remaining Tech from Mob A, who fails his subdual save. The Enclave trooper passes his subdual save and becomes sprawled. Alice takes her action now and shoots at the trooper. She scores a critical hit, killing him.

Two of the Enclave Security Team are on level 2. One fires at Alice twice, and the other fires at Elsie twice. Alice is struck once, suffering 12 damage (ignoring her DR). Elsie is struck twice, suffering 11 and 12 damage (ignoring her DR).
The other Enclave trooper is Grappling with Marcus; he fails his Grapple check and is pinned.

Elsie attacks one of the Enclave troopers twice. The first attack is an error, which I shall choose not to activate. The second attack hits, causing 11 damage (reduced to 0 by DR; this causes 1 subdual damage).

Technician Mob ‘A’ has one member left, and he is KO'd.

Technician Mob ‘B’ has two members left, and they exit engineering.

T-Minus 45 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 15/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (3 members) 1 is pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)
Technician Mob ‘A’ 9 (1 member; unconscious)
Technician Mob ‘B’ 7 (2 members; have left engineering)

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 03, 2011, 01:03:55 PM
"Eeeeeeep!" Alice squeaked instartled fear as the laser bolts scored and gouged the metal around them.  Lady Joan turned and shouted at the two security troopers.

Spoiler: show
One shot at each goon and a five foot step back into the corridor.  Rolls to be added when I get to a computer with some intertubes up in the morning.

1d20+5, 2d12+2 → ([16, 5], [7, 11, 2]) = 21 Hit for 18 Damage with AP 10
1d20+5, 2d12+2 → ([10, 5], [5,  4, 2]) =  15 Hit for 11 Damage with AP 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3056744/)
I suspect the 21 hits, does the 15?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 04, 2011, 02:02:02 PM
After almost losing his grip trying to knock the rifle free, Marcus decides to change his approach.  Seeing that the weapon is basically useless right now, so he tries to wrest away any other weapons which could be of use.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Well, we can't use 2h weapons while grappled, so I am going to try to get the knife off of him to use if I can find it. 

Full Action Grapple: 1d20+7 → [15,7] = (22)
Response Grapple: 1d20+7 → [5,7] = (12)

Any Grapple Benefits I get will go to either Pin or Use Opponent’s Weapon (knife), in that order.

Edit: If I can't find the knife for some reason, I'll try to screw with his armor again.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3057502/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 04, 2011, 10:10:30 PM
Hondo scrabbles for his handgun and throws open the door behind the fleeing techs, unwilling to let survivors get away that easy.

Spoiler: show

That's two Handle Item half actions (probably with a 5' step in there to get to the door). Simple enough.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on June 05, 2011, 03:16:31 AM
Elsie shrieks in terror and runs back into the robotics control room.

Spoiler: show
Uploading this via my cellphone - hope it works! Double move the hell outta dodge...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 05, 2011, 07:47:08 AM
Franklin runs over to the one Marcus is grappling with, see if he can't distract the trooper a little bit by tickling his ribs with the autoaxe...

Spoiler: Actions • show

I'm not seeing a penalty for attacking with melee into a grapple, so why not?

Half Action: Standard Move towards the grapple with Marcus and the trooper. I'll try and position myself so that if he breaks free, Me and Marcus'll block most of his avenues of retreat.
Half Action: Standard Attack with Autoaxe using Sunder! feat targeting his armor, 1d20+8=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058568/)... that's kinda bad, but on the other hand he's denied dex, so maybe... damage 2d8+4=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058569/) lethal and 1d4+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058570/) stress. Bleed, keen 5 and AP2
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 07, 2011, 02:28:59 PM
The vicious exchange of fire on level 2 continues, with Alice scoring penetrating hits on both troopers. She is in return nicked and winged by several laser bolts as she starts to back toward the door to robotics, Elsie fleeing past her for cover.

Below, Marcus holds one of the Enclave troops in place while Frank goes to work on him with his motorised can-opener, sparks flying everywhere. Hondo uses the brief lull in the melee to pursue the fleeing technicians, throwing open the door they used as a point of egress.


Spoiler: show


Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 15/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (3 members)
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

T-Minus 45 rounds

Alice is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and her Strategy will take effect in 4 rounds. She uses 2 half actions to fire 1 shot at each of the Enclave troops on level 2. Both attacks hit, causing 18 and 11 damage (reduced to 16 and 9 by DR). Both pass their damage saves. Alice takes a 5 ft. step backwards towards the doorway.

The Enclave Computer Specialist is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and his Strategy will take effect in 4 rounds.

Frank moves over to and attacks Marcus's Grapple target. He causes 10 damage (reduced to 0 by DR, inflicting 1 subdual) and 4 stress damage. The armour passes its damage save.

Marcus Grapples his target. He succeeds and the target is pinned.

Hondo uses a half action to move over to a nearby door and another to open it. Beyond the door he sees a group of 3 fleeing technicians.

Two of the Enclave Security Team are on level 2. One fires at Alice twice, and the other fires at Elsie twice. Alice is struck once, suffering 12 damage (ignoring her DR). Elsie is missed.
The other Enclave trooper is Grappling with Marcus; he fails his Grapple check and Marcus uses his combat knife against him. He causes 7 lethal damage (reduced to 0 by DR).

Elsie uses two half actions to moves back inside Robotics, breaking line of sight.

T-Minus 44 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (3 members; 2 are critically injured, 1 is lightly stressed) 1 is pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 07, 2011, 02:41:57 PM
The stress of combat combined with the inability to do some damage against the trooper begins to take it's toll on Franklin's mind, and the little voice in the back of his head saying 'RIP AND TEAR!!!' over and over again is getting harder and harder to resist. Knowing he'll have to vent eventually, he lets out a mighty, furious 'RAAAARH!!' and lets his anger take the reins.

Spoiler: Actions • show


Full Action: Entering Berserker Rage, max duration 2d4+2=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3062447/) rounds. +3 STR and CON, gain enraged condition.

A bit of a gamble, but I kinda need the +2 damage to get through his armor...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 07, 2011, 07:19:44 PM
Alice's panicked shout reached across the room.  "HEELLLLPP!!"  She back peddled down the hallway as Lady Joan left another complaint with the establishment's staff.

Spoiler: show
1d20+5, 2d12+2=[6, 5], [2, 11, 2] (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3062890/)  11?  Bah.  Does that need an Action Die?  If so, here:   1d4.open(4)=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3062895/)

11 or 14 to hit, 15 Damage AP 10 then Run Away back to the terminal, smoking a bit from those laser hits.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 07, 2011, 07:25:15 PM
Twisting the soldier left and right, Marcus tries to expose a weak point in the the soldier's armor.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Full Action Grapple: 1d20+7 → [17,7] = (24)
Response Grapple: 1d20+7 → [2,7] = (9)

If I win the first one, since he's pinned already, I'll use Manipulate Opponent's Gear to reduce his armor's DR to 1/2 standard.

If I win both of them, I'll just try to stab him again against his reduced armor on the second check.

If I somehow lose the first check and win the second, I'll pin him again.  That seems unlikely given my rolls, but not impossible.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3062891/
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 09, 2011, 02:16:18 PM
Peering down the corridor, Hondo sees that there's no easy way to chase the techs down. They've already fled through another hatch, and pursuit would carry him too far from his friends. Better to stall reinforcements from this direction. He slams the hatch and spins its latch-wheel with one hand while reaching down for the trooper with the other. Hefting the dead trooper, Hondo then shoves one of the corpse's lifeless arms through the spokes of the wheel, using it as a makeshift door bar. He lets the body sag against the door then, and turns to see if anybody else needs help.

Spoiler: show

That's a pretty straightforward two actions: close the door, and shove the trooper into it to gum it up.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 10, 2011, 08:25:02 AM
Alice fires a parting shot at one of the Enclave soldiers, hitting him square in the chest. His armor finally gives, and he expires with a splash of crimson across the wall behind him. His partner decides that discretion is the better part of valor, and runs for it, heading up the stairs to level 3 and out of sight. Elsie stands watch just inside the door as Alice backs inside, nearly tripping over Tex.

Meanwhile on level 1 Frank cackles manically, revving his autoaxe as Marcus finally finishes off his target. He forces the hapless trooper up against a nearby console and, grabbing the man's combat knife, drives it up into his armpit. By sheer coincidence, the soldier slips on a patch of grease and falls onto the knife - the combined weight of him and his armor added to the sudden upward thrust provides just enough impetus to jam the blade through his ribcage and into his heart, killing him instantly. As he slides off the blood-slicked knife, Marcus looks decidedly surprised.

Hondo uses the opportunity to grab the corpse of a nearby trooper, blocking one of the doors shut by jamming an armored limb into the opening mechanism.


Spoiler: show


Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (3 members; 2 are critically injured, 1 is lightly stressed) 1 is pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

T-Minus 44 rounds

Alice is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and her Strategy will take effect in 3 rounds. She uses a half action to attack one of the Enclave troops in level 2. She hits, causing 15 damage (reduced to 13 by DR), and her target fails his damage save. She uses her other half action to move into Robotics, breaking line-of-sight.

The Enclave Computer Specialist is part of a hacking Dramatic Conflict, and his Strategy will take effect in 3 rounds.

Frank enters a berserk rage. However, under the circumstances, i'll allow Antilles to take this back, as it'd be a waste; he won't get to benefit from it.

Marcus Grapples his target. He suceeds, using Manipulate Gear to target his opponent's armour.

Hondo uses one of the expired Enclave troopers to block the starboard-aft door on Forward Engineering's level 1.

One of the Enclave Security Team is on level 2. He uses a half action to move up to level 3, breaking line-of-sight.
The other Enclave trooper is Grappling with Marcus; he fails his Grapple check and Marcus uses his combat knife against him. He causes 7 lethal damage (reduced to 1 by DR). He rolls an error on his damage save and dies.

Elsie stays in Robotics, using a Ready action to prepare to shoot any enemies that enter.

T-Minus 43 rounds

Alice 21 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
- Enclave Computer Specialist [Lead 4; 8 round duration]
Frank 17 (WP 12/12, VP 32/39) enraged
Marcus 17 (WP 5/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo 14 (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Enclave Security Team 12 (2 members; 1 is critically injured) 1 is lightly stressed and pinned
Elsie 11 (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

COMBAT ENDS

However, the countdown continues...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 12, 2011, 06:04:56 PM
Alice hustled back down the hallway to the terminal, digging in her pouches for another magazine for Lady Joan.

Spoiler: show
Change magazines, so now Lady Joan has one in the pipe and five in the magazine.  Next round she will settle in at the console and be prepared to kick this twit out of his own system.   ;D
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 12, 2011, 07:39:23 PM
"So, can we use lasers on this big-ass shaft, mang?" asks Hondo, staring momentarily at the enormous drive column. "If we melt it or some shit we can stop it right?" He stoops to gather up his tire iron and use it to jam the other door on level 1.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 14, 2011, 08:40:38 AM
With the last of the fighting stopped for the moment, Marcus quickly assesses the state of those around him.  Seeing the downed civilians, he quickly moves to tend to them to see if he can save any of them.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 14, 2011, 06:36:16 PM
Franklin notices at the last second that there suddenly are no more enemies. He bites down the rage, keeping it contained for a little while longer. After all, he thinks as he climbs up to the second floor to attempt to secure the doorway there, there'll be more of them, and soon.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 14, 2011, 11:56:19 PM
Alice and Elsie quickly retire to Robotics, where Elsie checks up on the other survivors and Alice assumes her previous position at the terminal. Out in the engine room, Marcus checks the injured for survivors, while Frank and Hondo head up the stairs to level 1.

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 43 rounds

Frank moves over to the aft port stairs and heads up to level 2 on the way to level 3.

Marcus moves over to the civilians and begins assessing their injuries.

Hondo picks up his tire iron and walks with Frank up to level 2.

Elsie and Tex check up on the kids.
 
Alice heads back to the terminal. The conflict round will be resolved in 2 rounds.

T-Minus 42 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 17, 2011, 11:20:33 PM
The tannoy system announces FIRING IN T-MINUS SEVEN MINUTES! With a crackle of static a second, male voice, adds "Firing chmaber loaded. Begin charging capacitors." As the rest of the group go about their business of securing Engineering, Alice watches the progress bar on the terminal creeps toward its destination... with a satisfying 'beep' the hack that she's uploaded to the system begins to run, looking for a loophole in her opponent's firewall. It would've been nice if the damned thing was running a little quicker, but the guy on the other end appears to be deliberately spawning copies of as many new processes as he can, with the goal of slowing the whole system down - and its working.

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 42 rounds

Frank heads up to level 3.

Marcus assesses Andy's injuries. He is dead.

Hondo uses his crowbar to jam one of the doors on level 2.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice reaches the terminal. The conflict round will be resolved in 1 round.

T-Minus 41 rounds

Frank reaches level 3. There is no sign of the fleeing Enclave trooper.

Marcus moves over to John and assesses his injuries. He is alive, but is dying.

Hondo heads back down to level 1.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice's conflict round is resolved in this round. To make it fair, here are the rolls from invisible castle:
Alice (Code Slinging): 1d20+9=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3076302/)
Security Tech (Code Slinging): 1d20+5=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3076303/)
Alice wins by 1, and the Lead is reduced to 3. The new Conflict Round will be resolved in 4 rounds (that'd be round 36...); choose a strategy, please.

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 40 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 18, 2011, 06:26:17 AM
Alice examined the lines of text scrolling up the monitor and growled.  "Oh, you're gonna be like that?  I've got somethin' fer that ass."

Spoiler: show
Same strategy, Slinging Code, need the not penalty.
1st and ten do it again.
1d20 + 9 → [11,9] = (20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3076495/)

That is quite meh.  Add me action dice to pwn this jerk:  All three Action Dice for the week. This Needs to work.
1d4.open(4) → [[4, 3]] = (7)
1d4.open(4) → [1] = (1)
1d4.open(4) → [3] = (3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3076500/)

Twenty one, that gives a 31 which should quell this rebellion when the code drops on his head.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on June 18, 2011, 12:29:00 PM
"Thank god, he's alive!"  Marcus pulls out the Atropine shot and administers it to John.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Half: Handle Item (retrieve Atropine shot)
Half: Administer shot to John.

Each shot has 3 uses, so I'll have 2 uses left to use on the others if they are still standing.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 20, 2011, 08:11:47 PM
Hondo continues to move through the levels, from the bottom up, scooping up knives and using them to create pieces of troopers with which to jam the doors against reinforcements. He carries out this butchery with detachment, like he's filleting mirelurks.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 23, 2011, 04:01:11 AM
Frank and Hondo go about the business of blocking off all of the doors leading into engineering from the aft quarter of the Ark. Hondo makes the grisly decision to hack off the limbs of the fallen Enclave troops, finding that his hands and forearms quickly become slick with gore. Marcus administers a stabiliser to John and Stephen, but Audingas is sadly already dead by the time he reaches him.

Alice finally manages to gain full control over the Ark’s computer systems, just as a loud
BANG reverberates around the engine room. As Frank finishes vandalising the port-side door on the aft half of level 3, the door suddenly shudders in its frame as something hits it from the other side. Glancing through the pressurised porthole on the door, he sees a second squad of Enclave troops queued up in the hallway. The lead trooper is repeatedly hammering on the door with a powered gauntlet (http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/b/bb/POWERFIST.png), and the one that Frank can see behind him is wielding the biggest gun that he has ever seen (http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/5/5a/5MMMINIGUN.png).The door vibrates from another booming impact, and the center buckles outward by a good inch. It looks like they want in, and they seem pretty insistent.

The tannoy system announces
FIRING IN T-MINUS SIX MINUTES! With a crackle of static a second, male voice, adds "Confirmed; capacitors charged. Open main gun ports." There is a pause, and then "Confirmed; target sighted. Fire control officer - a firing solution if you please"

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 40 rounds

Frank uses his autoaxe to damage the aft-starboard door on level 3 until it is jammed.

Marcus administers an Atropine shot to John, stabilising him.

Hondo moves back downstairs to find more limbs.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice stands by the terminal. The conflict round will be resolved in 3 rounds.

T-Minus 39 rounds

Frank moves across the balcony on level 3 to the port side.

Marcus moves over to and checks Stephen. He is alive.

Hondo lops a limb off of one of the Enclave troops. He suffers 3 stress damage.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice stands by the terminal. The conflict round will be resolved in 2 rounds.

T-Minus 38 rounds

Frank uses his autoaxe to damage the aft-port door on level 3 until it is jammed.

Marcus administers an Atropine shot to Stephen, stabilising him.

Hondo moves over to and blocks the other aft door on level 1 using the severed limb.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice stands by the terminal. The conflict round will be resolved in 1 round.

T-Minus 37 rounds

Frank moves down to level 2.

Marcus moves over to an checks Audingas. He is dead. Good luck explaining that one to his kid…

Hondo moves back over to the dead Enclave troops and lops off another limb, suffering 2 stress damage.

Elsie and Tex stay with the survivors.
 
Alice stands by the terminal. The conflict round is resolved this round. Using the Code Slinging strategy, she beats her opponent by 12. She chooses the Lead benefit 3 times, reducing the Lead to 0 and winning the conflict. The hack ends, and Alice has full control of the computer systems. This grants control over internal doors, locks, cameras, environmental controls (i.e. the AC and heating…), robot and sentry guns, and internal phone system. Enjoy.

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 36 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!



Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 23, 2011, 04:15:36 AM
Alice looked up and around at the first boom.  "That can't be good," she muttered.  Scooping up Lady Joan, she hustled down the corridor back to the drive shaft room inquiring into her Pip-Boy, "guys?  What the deuce?"

Spoiler: show
O what level is this tunnel to the terminal in robotics?  2nd, correct?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on June 23, 2011, 10:02:23 AM
Frank quickly ducks to the side of the door, and readies his autoaxe to potentially ruin the day of the first bastard who goes through the door. "More of those armored sons-of-bitches coming through, and this time they're packing serious firepower!"

Spoiler: show

How long until they bust down the door? Unless anyone's got a better idea, the plan is to enter Rage just as they break down the door, and then hopefully carve them up before they can kill me...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 24, 2011, 04:13:24 PM
Hondo stays put for a few seconds, in case there's a pincer move in the works.

Spoiler: show

I'll stay where I'm at (level 2, I think), just in case somebody starts hammering on a door here as well. If there's no sign of guards anywhere but level 3 by next round, I'll head up to help Frank.

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 27, 2011, 09:49:15 AM
"Crap, the robots!"  Alice stopped and bolted back to the terminal.  After setting Lady Joan down, she began issuing commands to the Security system:  Confirming the Enclave IFFs trigger hostile responses while she and her friends remain friendly; directing half of the bots down towards the shaft room, a quarter towards the bridge, and the last quarter towards the bridge.

Spoiler: show
I'm pretty sure all those directions don't happen in a single round...  How long will that take?

And what about slowly shutting down the reactors?  Alice would just as soon not SCRAM them, but that may be necessary.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on June 28, 2011, 03:23:53 AM
As the battering assault continues on the door on level 3, Frank stands off to one side and braces himself, autoaxe at the ready. Below him, Hondo stays put on level 2, stepping backwards to get a better look at both doors on his level. Then, a second banging starts up on level 1, this time on the starboard side. Hondo rushes down to check the door, and sees a second Enclave squad attempting to breach the door in a similar fashion. With a muttered curse, he readies himself.

Alice, meanwhile, cracks her knuckles and goes to work setting the Ark’s ‘bot population to work. With fingers dancing across the keyboard, she sends half out into Engineering and half off toward the Bridge. The altered IFFs should see them cause plenty of havoc before they get put down. As she types, Emily, the Enclave doctor steps away from the group of civilians and walks toward the door. Elsie stands as if she’s going to stop her, but the doctor simply points at the door and says
“There are casualties out there. I am obligated to help. Please let me.” Elsie steps aside.

Marcus finishes treating the wounded, and starts dragging them toward the stairs to level 2. He leaves Audingas and Andy, and instead focuses on moving John and Stephen. Emily quickly walks over and lends a hand. As they work, one of the Enclave helms nearby crackles with an internal radio conversation.

After they have moved the two survivors, she looks to start checking the Enclave troops, and when she realises what’s been done with their bodies, she looks at Marcus in utter horror.
“Whu… what? Why did you do that?!”

Elsie follows her out on to the balcony, and as Emily begins helping Marcus, she mutters ‘Fuck this” She descends to level 1, pausing by Marcus and Emily to scoop up an Enclave laser weapon. She hefts it in hers hands, testing the weight, and then shoulders it and fires at the port drive-shaft. There is a blinding flash, and a gouge is taken out of the shaft. It continues turning, but now it is throwing off a streamer of molten metal as a cloud of flash-heated lubricant boils off of it. The port-side engine begins grinding and shaking violently.

Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)

T-Minus 36 rounds

Frank stands by the port-side door on level 3, with an attack action readied.

Marcus drags Stephen over to the stairs.

Hondo stays put on level 2.

Elsie and Tex walk out onto the platform and head down to level 1.
 
Alice uses a full action to take command of the Ark’s ‘bot population. Next round she can alter their IFF parameters, and then the following round she can issue orders.

Enclave HTR Team 1 attack the port door on level 3. The door passes its damage save.

T-Minus 35 rounds

Frank stands by the port-side door on level 3, with an attack action readied.

Marcus drags John over to the stairs. Emily helps.

Hondo stays put on level 2.

Elsie and Tex walk over to and pick up one of the Enclave laser rifles.
 
Alice uses a full action to take command of the Ark’s ‘bot population. Next round she can alter their IFF parameters, and then the following round she can issue orders.

Enclave HTR Team 1 attack the port door on level 3. The door passes its damage save.

Enclave HTR Team 2 attack the starboard door on level 1. The door passes its damage save.

T-Minus 34 rounds

Frank stands by the port-side door on level 3, with an attack action readied.

Marcus and Emily move Stephen to the top of the stairs.

Hondo moves down to level 1, toward the starboard side.

Elsie and fires one of the Enclave laser rifles at the port-side engine’s crank-shaft. I’m not going to ask for an attack roll. She inflicts 14 damage (AP 14). The shaft is steel, and is 1 ft. thick, so it has a damage save of +28 (reduced to 14 by Elsie’s AP). It passes its damage save.
 
Alice issue orders to the ‘bots, sending 10 out into Engineering and 10 toward the Bridge.

Half of the ‘Bots move out into Engineering, taking up position on the walkway on level 2. The other half ascend to level 3 and out of sight.

Enclave HTR Team 1 attack the port door on level 3. The door passes its damage save.

Enclave HTR Team 2 attack the starboard door on level 1. The door passes its damage save.

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Enclave HTR Team 1 (5 members, all uninjured)
Enclave HTR Team 2 (5 members, all uninjured)

T-Minus 33 rounds

ACTIONS PLEASE!



Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on June 28, 2011, 04:46:45 AM
With a look of determination, Elsie lines up the rifle and fires again...

Spoiler: show

Damage: 4d4=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3089827/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on June 28, 2011, 05:55:47 AM
The groups of security bots on their way to provide backup and cause a ruckus respectively, Alice took a moment to flip the IFF signals of the Enclave troops to hostile from friendly.

Ruckus plans set into motion, she began looking for information on that horrible noise coming from the shaft room, hoping it was something her friends wanted to happen, and that it wouldn't kill them all.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on June 28, 2011, 02:13:49 PM
Hondo, curious at the crackling from the nearby helmet, scoops it up. Returning to a position of readiness next to the Level 1 door, he holds the opening of the helmet to his ear like a bizarre mockery of an old-fashioned telephone earpiece, wondering if he can get a sense of what's going on elsewhere.

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on July 06, 2011, 01:31:56 AM
With a loud CRUNCH, the door on level 3 begins to give way. Frank revs the autoaxe and slices viciously at the gauntleted fist as it protrudes through. With a shriek of pain, the crippled limb is quickly withdrawn. Below him on level 1, Hondo’s door continues to reverberate with the pounding assault from the troops on the far side. Hondo hefts his crowbar and takes a few practise swings. When they come through, they’re going to be pissed…

Marcus and Emily finish dragging the two survivors up to level 2, and as they lay down John’s unconscious body, she looks Marcus in the eye and says
“I need to go check those soldiers to see if any of them are still alive. If I do that, are you going to chop me up, too?”

Elsie snaps off another two shots at the port drive-shaft, and is rewarded with spectacular results. The first shot sears a huge chunk out of the shaft, and it begins bouncing up and down in its fittings, buckling the engine and port wall at either end of the drive shaft. The second shot cleaves it in half, and that’s when the trouble starts.

The end attached to the engine block sways up and down further and further with each revolution, until with a grinding screech it rattles to a halt. Smoke begins to pour out of the crippled engine, rising to fill the upper levels of the engine room. The end of the shaft protruding from the wall, however, comes to a halt in a somewhat more dramatic fashion; the fractured steel driveshaft immediately hinges upwards, slamming into the port wall with all the force of a ten-ton steel rod that has been turning at several hundred rpm… the effect is nothing short of spectacular, as the smashed and buckled port wall begins to bulge outward, dragged by the weight of the massive external turbine that is now spinning itself to destruction. The shriek of tearing metal is deafening, as the top half of the bulkhead actually begins to peel away from the Ark’s hull. The entire vessel immediately slews forward and off to the left, throwing everyone off their feet. The walls and floor shake violently and repeated explosions can be heard beyond engineering.

Looks like you broke it, huh?


Spoiler: show

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Enclave HTR Team 1 (5 members, all uninjured)
Enclave HTR Team 2 (5 members, all uninjured)

T-Minus 33 rounds

Frank stands by the port-side door on level 3, with an attack action readied.

Marcus and Emily drag Stephen and John up the stairs to level 2.

Hondo stands by the starboard-side door on level 1, with an attack readied.

Elsie fires two more shots at the damaged drive shaft. She causes 8 and 10 damage. The drive-shaft fails the first save and is broken. It fails the second save and is destroyed.
 
Alice uses a half action to stand up, and another to access the computer to find out what is going on.

Enclave HTR Team 1 retreats.

Enclave HTR Team 2 retreats.

Frank (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Hondo (WP 24/24, VP 45/45)
Elsie (WP 12/12, VP 10/33)
Tex (appears uninjured)
Alice (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Enclave HTR Team 1 (5 members, all uninjured)
Enclave HTR Team 2 (5 members, all uninjured)

The Countdown is Halted!

ACTIONS PLEASE!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 06, 2011, 04:25:22 AM
"What the fuck just happened?!" Alice shouted at no one in particular as she rummaged in the system.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on July 06, 2011, 07:07:09 PM
"Madre de dios!" shouts Hondo, scrabbling for footing. "Fuck, mang! Fuck!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on July 06, 2011, 07:08:39 PM
Marcus was about to answer the doctor before being thrown to the ground.  "Jesus.  We need to get out of here!"  Shouting into his Pip Boy he adds, "Alice!  We need a way off this thing.  You got any ideas?"  Then addressing everyone in the room in general, "And, I am going to need some help hauling these people out of here."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on July 07, 2011, 03:32:56 AM
Frank grabs the autoaxe he dropped as he went ass over head, and scrambles to his feet. As he gets up he sneaks a peek through the door, to see what condition the armored bastards on the other side was in. Afterwards, he shouts a reply back down to Marcus. "I'd love to, but it's crawling with pissed off assholes up here!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on July 07, 2011, 10:18:36 AM
Elsie rides out the shockwave with one hand grasping a nearby support pillar, and the other a smoking laser rifle. Once the initial tilting chaos is over, she lets go of the support and sticks two fingers in her mouth, letting out a loud whistle. "TEX! Come on boy, time to leave..." She is surprisingly calm. One might almost think that *something* in the normally sociable Elsie's head has simply snapped.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on July 07, 2011, 10:49:56 AM
The computer system is registering fatal damage to the forward port-side engine. The other engines are compensating, but the rear starboard-side engine is already showing signs of critical overheating. The panicked civilians begin running around like headless chickens, screaming and knocking things over as the tipped-over robots thrash around on the floor, unable to right themselves and still attempting to walk out of the door and into engineering.

Tex bolts past the mess, and runs down the nearby stairs to Elsie. He pauses in front of her and then barks and runs excitedly in circles. Nearby, Marcus bellows across the room, asking for help and suggestions; Emily shouts back
"We need to get to a lifeboat! Come on! The nearest set of emergency gear is 4 decks up and 1 frame over - we have to move!"

Frank gingerly peers through the gap between the doorframe and the crippled door. He sees the Enclave troops retreating back down the hallway, but the one with the Power Fist has his helmet off (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/bsg_boys/20060815.png), apparently examining his wounded arm. With his good arm he levels a finger at Frank and shouts "I'll find you, asshole! Be sure of that!" With that, he turns and takes off after his fellows, leaving an empty hallway. Hondo sees a similar scene below, minus the personal threats...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 07, 2011, 11:29:40 AM
Alice muttered a constant stream of profanity as she instructed the computer to direct coolant to the overheating engine. "Who wrecked my airship?" she paused to wail at no one in particular before resuming her cursing.  Plugging in her Pip-Boy and began to salvage as much information as she could from her now stricken airship, starting with schematics of the ship, engine designs, power armor plans and details (if available).

Spoiler: show
Mostly "resigned" to the doom of her airship, Alice is trying to salvage useful/barterable information.  Technical details for the armor and plasma guns are genuinely useful for fabrication, but the blue prints for the airship would be worth something significant to the Brotherhood of Steel.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on July 07, 2011, 12:04:56 PM
Frank shouts after the retreating Enclave troop, "Bring it ugly, I'll cut off both your arms next time!" Having said his piece, he turns and makes his way down to Marcus, to help carry the unconscious people off this flying deathtrap.

Spoiler: Threats • show

Just for shits and giggles we'll call that a Threat as he retreats down the corridor. Not gonna do anything, I know, just wanna see how effective a threat I manage to throw at him...
1d20+10=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3100477/)
Eh, not too shabby I suppose...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on July 07, 2011, 03:59:20 PM
Hondo, listening at his helmet-phone, nods thoughtfully, and then his eyes go wide.

"Ay, peoples! The Captain just ordered abandon ship, and he's gonna kick off the auto destruct! We gotta go!" he shouts, hanging onto the helmet and starting up the stairs to join the rest of the group.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 13, 2011, 01:18:56 PM
"NOOOOOOOO" Alice wailed. "Maybe I can stop the self destruct?" she wondered out loud.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on July 13, 2011, 02:29:02 PM
"Fuck dat," says Hondo with a shake of his head. "We gotta go. Like right now."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on July 14, 2011, 03:13:07 AM
Elsie walks over to the Enclave doctor and forcefully shoves the laser rifle into her face, pushing her back up against a wall. "Take us to the exit, before I decide to give you an extra nostril in the middle of your forehead." She pauses for a moment, and then adds "NOW, BITCH! MOVE!"

Spoiler: show

Intimidate/Coercion: 1d20=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3108478/)

Ah shit. That's what I get for doing this untrained. Gear bonus from the gun?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on July 15, 2011, 10:33:27 AM
You follow the harangued Enclave doctor as she leads you and the survivors up and out of Robotics and into the Forward Cargo Bay. Hondo carries one of the injured men slung over one shoulder, and Marcus another. Frank brings up the rear, while Alice and Elsie walk point with humming laser death at the ready for anyone who decides to interfere.

Twice, distant explosions rattle the deck, sending it pitching wildly from side-to-side. As you enter a room labelled 'Forward Emergency Suite', there is a deafening explosion and the whole vessel rocks so violently that you are all tossed around like rag dolls. Alarms sound, and red lights spin and flash overhead. Over the rumbling and crashing the doctor yells
"That's a collision! Fuck, we hit something!" You stagger forward, noting that there are spaces for 12 escape capsules here; 6 on either side. However, the 12 sealed bulkhead doors (with yellow-and-black diagonal stripes) indicates the worst possible scenario - they're gone. All of them. They have already launched.

Emily immediately raises her hands and shrieks at Elsie
"NO! Don't shoot! Please!"

Spoiler: show

If anyone doesn't want to go with this description, let me know.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on July 15, 2011, 11:29:19 AM
Frank moves up towards Emily and Elsie, and sort-of steps between them. With as much reassurance as he can muster right now, he tells the nearly panicked doctor "We ain't gonna shoot you just 'cause the escape pods are all gone. But unless someone's got a bright idea as to getting off this boat right now it won't matter, as the crash'll probably kill us all. Now, you're a doctor and presumably clever as all hell, got any bright ideas?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 15, 2011, 12:52:27 PM
Alice sulked in the corner, tapping away at the terminal.  "I told you we should have checked.  But there are more pods on the dorsal escape room."

[Edited for new info.]
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on July 15, 2011, 06:35:22 PM
Marcus kneels, lowers his head, closes his eyes, puts his hands together and begins to speak softly...to himself?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on July 16, 2011, 06:52:18 PM
"Fuck, mang," Hondo murmurs, kicking idly at a bulkhead in frustration. 
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on July 17, 2011, 03:16:07 AM
Elsie listens to Alice, then looks at Emily with a 'well, bitch?' expression.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on July 22, 2011, 04:08:51 AM
After a frantic dash through rattling, darkened corridors, you climb a wildly-rocking stairwell and emerge into what could only be the hangar. It’s a good job too, as Marcus and Hondo are starting to look tired from dragging/carrying Andy and John’s dead weight (no pun intended…). This massive chamber is hundreds of feet long, and easily as wide and as tall as forward engineering. Nearby are three military vertibirds. Two are in pieces, and the parts have been scattered across half of the hangar area, but the third looks like its actually in fairly good condition.

You follow Emily as she weaves across the deck toward a set of 12 escape pods, but before you even get there you can see from the closed hatches that they have all already launched. Emily shouts
“SHIT!” and runs across the hangar deck toward a set of identical launch tubes on the other side. Naturally, with your recent run of luck, the other 12 are gone too. Looks like you’re too late. Emily clenches her fists, shaking with barely-suppressed rage, and a moment later, she screams “BASTARDS! They left me! They left me behind! And now I’m gonna die!”

Vlad, already on the ropes from his father’s recent demise, begins gibbering uncontrollably in a language that none of you understand, and Kate faints dead away, barely caught in time by Sharon as she sags limply to the deck. John hugs his wife and child close, and Joey bursts into tears. Annabelle puts and arm around him and sighs dejectedly, obviously coming to terms with her fate rather quickly.

Emily suddenly wheels around and spits a stream of expletives at Elsie.
“Come on then, bitch! Do it! FUCKING DO IT! Ohhh yeah, a bumper day for the wastes today – instead of banging together rocks in the gutter, you get to shoot a bona fide surgeon!” She throws her arms out to the sides, preparing for the shot.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on July 22, 2011, 06:41:47 AM
As people skids to break down over the lack of escape pods, Franklin points to the seemingly intact vertibird and shouts to Alice. "Get that thing started!" He doesn't bother phrasing it as a question, as as far as he can see, it's their last chance to get out of this thing before it hits the ground.

When the civilians break down and Emily starts shouting, Frank feels his anger taking over again, but bites it down knowing it won't do any good right now. Nonetheless, when he strides over to Emily finishes shouting at Elise he looks like he's about to put his fist through her face. In an act of great restraint, he only gives her a mild slap on the back of her head. (http://i55.tinypic.com/29x9hn6.gif)
"Nobody's shooting anybody, got it?" At this point he's talking loud enough for the civilians to hear him clearly. "We ain't dead yet, that means we got options. We just gotta find them, and standing around shouting or whatever ain't doing nothing but ensure we die here. Now get your head on straight and start thinkin' instead'a panicking!"

His piece said and with luck understood, he moves over to Elsie and leans in close to whisper in her ear: "I know you don't like her, but the way I figure she is too valuable to kill. A trained doctor would do much to help these people, she can pay off some of her debt to them like that. Keep pointin' a gun at her if you like, just... don't kill her, ok?"

He remains standing vaguely between Elsie and Emily, hoping the situation will defuse somewhat and waiting for Alice to hopefully start the vertibird.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 22, 2011, 07:00:46 AM
Still sniffling at the impending loss of her airship, Alice scanned the hanger.  Her eyes landed on the functioning vertibird.  "Ooooh."  She looked around.  "Guys, who wants to fly out of here?"

Taking Franklin's shout as assent, she cradled Lady Joan and bounded towards the intact vertibird on a pillar of thrust.

Spoiler: show
How far across the hanger is the good vertibird?  I think Alice can make it in one round with her jet back.  (Clearly she needs a pair of those sneakers with the wheels in the heels.)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on July 22, 2011, 02:17:27 PM
Hondo watches the exchange between Emily and Marcus, saying nothing. When Elsie doesn't immediately shoot the doctor, he simply shrugs.

"A'ight, everybody onna flying thing," he calls, hefting his unconscious burden again and heading for the vertibird. He stops after a step, realization crashing onto him. "Hey guys, 'member when I said the Captain was gonna set the self-destruct? I just remembered that he also said *he* was going to escape on a vertibird in the hangar. I wonder if this is it? This thing look vertibird...ish to anybody or whatever?"

He calls out to Alice to be careful, but she probably can't hear him over her turbofans.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on July 22, 2011, 06:08:34 PM
Yelling to be heard over the cacophony, Marcus bellows, "Thank the Lord!  Everyone into the Vertibird and strap yourself in!"  Marcus then continues to lug his burden to the vehicle.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Girlfriday on July 22, 2011, 10:23:19 PM
After Emily's tirade, Elsie blinks at her looking slightly surprised. "To be honest, i'd completely forgot about shooting you." She grins in a slightly embarrassed way, adding "When we get out of this, if you're still up for it, i'll feed you to Tex, ok?" Tex looks up at Emily with big, watery eyes and yips at her.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on July 25, 2011, 05:40:50 AM
As Hondo watches Frank talk down Elsie and Marcus praises the Lord for a lucky break, Alice zips 50 ft. along the deck, whirring turbo-fans depositing her a cars-length or two from the vertibird in question at the far aft-end of the hangar.

As Alice jogs toward the entry hatch gaping wide-open in the craft's side, she hops over several armored cables and lands with a slap-splash in an inch-deep puddle of a thick, viscous fluid. Pausing to look down at the stuff, the pungent aroma wafts up to her nostrils and the meddlesome mechanic gags on the stench. Behind the row of three vertibirds is a large, familiar-looking plexi-glass tank of some sort. It stretches all the way up to the ceiling, and the top of the tank is open - an exit hatch of some sort is irised open in the ceiling of the hangar, and daylight streams in through it. The bottom few feet of the tank is full of the sticky fluid that is all over the floor, and it has a distinct reddy-pink organic look to it. It looks rather a lot like amniotic fluid...

Wait, didn't Alice see something like this on one of the security feeds? Nah. That one had a great big thingie inside it. This one's empty. Hey, wait a second...


Spoiler: show

Yeah, feel free to check back over private messages and previous posts. The tank has been mentioned on at least 3 previous occasions.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on July 25, 2011, 08:54:21 AM
Alice looked down at the gunk in which she was now standing.  Her nose wrinkled and the dots connected. "Aww sheeeeyit," she muttered before raising her voice almost to a shout. "This is Not Good."

Spoiler: show
So the tank goes all the way up to the ceiling and the open iris is allowing daylight in?  Or is there a gap between the open tank top and the iris?
Also, spot check. 
Active Notice check. Where the eff is that warped, oversized, penguin of doom?
1d20+5 → [19,5] = (24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3123648/)
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on July 25, 2011, 10:03:44 AM
"Good, let's sort this shit out when we're off this ship, yeah? Right now we're running outta time, so let's haul ass, yeah? You too, doc." Frank half pushes, half ushers Emily towards the vertibird. As he passes the civilians, he stops for a moment. "That means you too! You," he points at Annabelle, "grab your kid, you," he points at John, and then at Vlad, "grab him and make sure he follows, and you," he points at Sharon, "grab the feet." As soon as he finishes barking instructions he leans down and puts his arm around the chest of Kate, under her arm and around to her back until he gets a decent grip, then stands up and start dragging her along towards the vertibird.

Spoiler: show

Athletics/Power Lifting to manage to carry/drag Kate without being too slowed down... 1d20+10=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3123704/). Excellent, +2 STR for carrying capacity for 1 minute. Hopefully that'll help...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on July 26, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
Marcus assesses the vertibird, hunting for a way to board.  Grabbing what he hopes is the handle to an unlocked door, he tries to open up the vertibird.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 02, 2011, 11:30:07 PM
While Frank is busy ushering the others after Alice, she hops up into the Vertibird through the side hatch. As she does, she has a fraction of a second to recognise the tell-tale whine of a powering-up plasma weapon off to her left. She *barely* ducks a plasma bolt that whizzes overhead, raising her weapon in response as the Ark's Captain  stands up from behind the pilot's chair, a plasma pistol in each hand! "Savages! Get off my ship!"

Spoiler: show

Just so that we're clear on what just happened: the captain was going to ambush Alice. He failed, but didn't roll an error. I imagine that this will be over fairly quickly, so here's initiative for the combatants. The rest of the party will arrive on round 3 and 4.

Alice 20 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Round 1

ACTIONS PLEASE!
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 03, 2011, 06:43:30 AM
"Savage?"  Alice asked loudly, her voice rising in pitch and volume.  "Savage?" she shouted as she stalked through the vertibird. "Who are you calling a savage you fascist pig?!  I grew up in a Vault!" Approaching the pilot chair, she set Lady Joan in one of the rifle racks and stared into his eyes. 

[Spoiler]Total defense.  Methinks that +4 is going to come right in handy.

Plus Alice probably looks "slightly" insane, what with the jet pack, armor, and dress.

P.S.  How tall is the captain?  Alice is not so tall.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 03, 2011, 11:16:58 AM
As Alice brazenly walks in front of the Captain and tries to front him out, the Enclave officer pauses... for a good two seconds. His look of anger quickly changes to one of annoyance, and he raises one of his pistols to fire. With startling speed, Alice draws and aims the Red Queen in one fluid motion, levelling it at the Captain. The two stand motionless, staring each other down over the barrels of their guns.

Spoiler: show

Round 1

Alice 20 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Alice takes the Total Defense action.

The Captain attempts to attack Alice; she spend an action die and attempts to initiate a Stand Off as a free action. The reflex save succeeds, and her initiative score decreases by 5.

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Round 2

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Alice and the Captain act simultaneously, making opposed Resolve checks:

Alice: 1d20+5=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3140736/) (yikes...)
Captain: 1d20+3=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3140737/)

The Captain suffers 4 stress damage.

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured) 4 stress

Round 3

The rest of the team arrives!
ACTIONS PLEASE!

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 03, 2011, 12:36:44 PM
Alice silently stared at the captain, letting her Vault perfect physique and the crazed gleam in her eye talk.  After a moment she smiled, displaying a mouth full of teeth that have not suffered two decades of chewing radiated food, and the one gleaming brass replacement canine, a souvenir of the Mr. Handy accident.

Her focus and smile did not change as Marcus entered the Vertibird.

[spoiler]I'll let you keep going with those Resolve checks.   ;D
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on August 07, 2011, 01:03:28 AM
Marcus moves towards the Captain and drops into his fighting stance, his eyes narrowing and his face twisting into a scowl.  "There is no where for you to go, sir.  By god, don't do anything stupid, drop your weapon and you may yet salvage something from this operation."

Spoiler:  • show

Marcus was built for this kind of thing!

My resolve is +8.
Stress Threshold is 22.

Half action: Move to within CQB Range.
Half action: Enter the Stand off.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 08, 2011, 02:39:01 PM
Hondo, behind Marcus, sticks an arm out to bar the rest of the group while Marcus moves up. "Hold up, hold up. There's shit goin' down in the 'bird. Everybody be cool or whatever. Frank, keep an eye out for the big motherfucker that was in the tank, yeah?"

Spoiler: show

As tempting as  it is to dogpile into the standoff, it's just more people rolling which equals more chance of failure. :) So Hondo enters the initiative count, but rather than entering the standoff I'll instead ready an action to shoot the Captain if the current standoff ends in his favor.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on August 09, 2011, 03:36:25 PM
As Franklin approaches the vertibird, he hears the commotion inside, then Hondo's instructions. Cursing to himself, he lowers Katie to the floor in a spot where she shouldn't be hit by any stray rounds from inside the vertibird, then draws his autoaxe while he moves up to cover the rear of the group.

Spoiler: actions • show

Half action to drop Katie gently-ish on the ground, then move behind the others while drawing the autoaxe.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 15, 2011, 12:09:30 AM
Marcus, Alice and the Captain stare each other down, engaged in a tense stand off. The captain has drawn a second plasma pistol and levelled it at Marcus. No-one moves. As the seconds tick by, the deck plating vibrates underfoot, and the stricken vessel is wracked by more explosions.

As Alice and Marcus stand ready to attack, Marcus notices a single bead of sweat trickle down the Captain's brow. It is then, with lightning speed, that Alice taps off a single shot, perfectly slicing through the Captains shoulder and dropping him with a yelp onto his back. The pistols go clattering across the deck, and the Captain falls unconscious as he begins to bleed out.


Spoiler: show

Ok, let's wrap this shit up. Rather than typing out the full results, the Captain lost every roll. He'll choose to be dropped to -1 wounds rather than surrender.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on August 15, 2011, 02:43:57 AM
When he hears the shot, Franklin half turns towards the vertibird on instinct before catching himself and turns back to watching the surroundings. Instead he shouts "What happened? Did you get the bastard?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 15, 2011, 05:03:31 PM
"Yeah, we cool," Hondo shouts. "Everybody get the fuck in!"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on August 16, 2011, 11:48:21 AM
"You heard him, get your asses on board!," Marcus yells as he moves to the door to help the wounded and unconscious.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 17, 2011, 05:57:52 AM
The captain dispatched, Alice returned the Red Queen to her holster, stepped over the captain's bleeding body, settled down in the pilot's seat, and began examining the controls. "I reeeealy hafta pee," she whispered to herself, wiping her hands on her dress and seeking the buttons to start the engines.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 17, 2011, 06:38:48 AM
As Alice settles down in front of the controls, everyone else piles onboard. As she tries to figure out which one is the 'go' button, Emily sits down in the co-pilot seat. She pulls on a headset radio and flips a switch which starts the engines cycling. As the rotors begin to slowly rotate, she glances at Alice as she buckles herself in. "I figure you can use a hand."

The Vertibird wheels across the hangar deck toward the freight elevator, rotors slowly turning. Hondo hops out and runs ahead, slapping the big red 'LIFT CALL' button. The elevator begins descending oh-so-slowly, and something heavy and metallic detaches from the hangar ceiling and clatters off the Vertibird's hull with a loud CLANK.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 17, 2011, 06:52:28 AM
Alice blushed as she saw Elsie pull on a headset.  Donning her own headset, she reached for the straps and buckles and clipped herself into the chair. "Did you tell everyone to strap down?" she inquired.

CLANK

"What the hell was that!?  We need out!" The budding mad scientist pilot began testing the throttles and pitch adjusters, hoping those flight simulator games in the vault are accurate.

Spoiler: show
Is Alice's interest in vehicles worth a +1 until she gets some ranks in Drive?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on August 17, 2011, 11:34:42 AM
Only after everyone is on board does Marcus turn to the captain's body.  Not willing to waste any of the good medical supplies, he checks if he is still alive and tries to stabilize him the old fashioned way.

Spoiler: Actions • show

If at any time he dies, Marcus will move to grab his shoulders, motion for Franklin to take the legs, and chuck him out of the vertibird.

If he stabilizes, Marcus will strap the captain and himself into a chair.

If anyone complains that I am trying to save the captain, I'll just ask how often we'll have a chance to question someone of his rank and indicate to Elsie that I am sure the brotherhood would like to have a chance to speak to him.

Information extracted from the captain seems like a great segue to another adventure!

Medicine:
Full Action: Medicine / Stabilize: 1d20+8
Round 1: [5,8]=(13)
Round 2: [6,8]=(14)
Round 3: [17,8]=(25)


Edit: Fixed the spoiler tag.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 17, 2011, 06:54:36 PM
Hondo, standing at the lift button, looks frantically around for the source of the clank.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 20, 2011, 05:49:58 AM
Emily glances briefly at Alice, nodding at the question. As she flicks several switches, more lights come on across the control panels. "How many hours do you have?" The question seems like a genuine one. Behind the two amateur space-cadets, Marcus works on stabilising the unconscious Enclave officer. Luckily the wound isn't that bad - if Alice had actually shot him with the Red Queen (instead of clubbing him over the head), he'd be in much worse condition.

Meanwhile, Hondo turns to look for the source of the loud noise. It looks like a piece of the ceiling has split off, and fallen onto the vertibird. The fragment has bounced off the hull and left a shallow gash down the side of the tail section. It looks purely cosmetic - you hope. When the lift reaches bottom, Hondo hops aboard the vertibird, as it begins its painfully slow ascent.

Finally the lift rumbles to a halt on the flight deck - the shrieking wind whips past the cockpit canopy and the open crew hatch, and acrid black smoke spews from the forward port side of the stricken vessel. Grit and tint pieces of debris patter off the vertibird's hull. Emily pushes the throttle forward, gunning the engines as she prepares for lift-off. Then, just as you're all finally about to make your escape, Alice and Emily (and anyone else up front) spots it - an enormous... thing, glistening with a layer of afterbirth (http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images/attachment/cloverfield-vs-godzilla-4787.jpg) perches on the edge of the flight deck, observing the building tops as they whip by underneath.

Spoiler: show

Yeah, he's stabilised. Also, if you want to engage this thing with the vertibird, it's armed with the equivalent of an M134 that deals laser damage. However, I should point out that it is Collosal, it looks REALLY mean, and you have abunch of terrified civvies on board.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on August 20, 2011, 06:45:44 AM
"What... the FUCK... is that?!" Franklin exclaims when he sees the thing. A short moment later he follows up with "And how do we kill it?"
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 20, 2011, 07:26:56 AM
Alice looked over at Emily and smiled.  "Over a hundred in helicopters.  In the simulator.  Vault has good ones.  First time in a vertibird though.  You?"  Her smile disappeared and her face paled as she caught a glimpse of the creature.

"This can't be good," Alice whispered as she pushed the throttles to full power to prepare for the vertibird's escape.

[spoiler]Gotta drive, more will follow.
I thought I was going to find a computer yesterday.  No such luck, and my phone is a poor substitute.

Side note, if the thing does not have missile weapons, we can stay back, hovering and lasering it while it falls from the sky, perhaps staying to confirm its demise.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 20, 2011, 07:18:19 PM
"Kill it? Fuck, mang, let's just get the fuck away from it," Hondo breathes. "Let it die when this ark shit crashes and 'splodes or whatever."
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 23, 2011, 05:43:02 AM
With a thrumming from the engines, Emily and Alice throttle-up and lift off. The Ark slowly accelerates away beneath you as you turn to bring the vertibirds guns to bear. At that precise moment, the huge thing leaps from the Ark's flight deck, impacting a passing skyscraper with an audible BOOM. Fragments of concrete and glass are thrown outwards from the point of impact - Emily growls "Fuck this" and pull hard on the stick, slewing the craft off to port and away from the Ark. Its lucky she did. The stricken vessel slams into the tops of a dozen buildings at once, throwing up a tremendous cloud of debris. Its then that you realise that the vertibird hasn't lost enough forward momentum to avoid the collision itself, as you plough almost head-on into the cloud. A few pattering dints rapidly escalate to BANG BANG impacts. The vertibird shakes violently, as it is thrown from side to side. The last thing most of you hear is the 'beep beep beep' of an alarm in the cockpit, and then with one final, bone-jarring impact, everything goes black...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 25, 2011, 08:45:05 AM
...until your senses return, bringing with them lancing pain and the groans of the wounded. From your skewed perspective, the vertibird appears to be laying on its side, and the interior is dark apart from two sources of light - the flickering control panels in the cockpit (which emit occasional popping sparks), and the daylight streaming into the passenger compartment through the boarding hatch that is ajar. As you all come to, you hear Emily say "Ugh... sound off." With a clinking of metal she unbuckles her flight harness, and with a curse falls sideways, landing in an untidy heap on top of Alice who is still strapped in.

Outside you can hear the reports of distant explosions, and far away there is rumbling that sounds like a damned landslide. Tiny stones or fragments of rubble patter off the hull, and you can hear the 'dink' and 'ding' as it impacts the downed vertibird.


Spoiler: show

Given the room, the vertibird is travelling at approximately 130mph. It suffers 13d8 collision damage (45, AP 13). It fails the damage save. This isn't so bad, as it can still fail another 4 before it is totally destroyed.

The rest of you suffer the following effects:

Frank: no damage (WP 12/12, VP 32/39)
Marcus: 22 collision damage (WP 14/14, VP 14/36; missed the save DC by 10)
Hondo: 22 collision damage (WP 24/24, VP 23/45; missed the save DC by 21...)
Elsie: 22 collision damage (WP 0/12, VP 0/33, unconscious; missed the save DC by 8)
Alice: 11 collision damage - that's 22 halved as she was explicitly strapped in (WP 5/13, VP 0/27, fatigued; missed the save DC by 11)

Emily has suffered wound damage but is otherwise ok. The other passengers seem to be unharmed, since they were strapped in and sat in the armoured passenger compartment.

Rather than rolling for a critical result, i'm going to rule that the vertibird suffers a hit to the rotors. They are destroyed, and it is no longer capable of flight.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on August 25, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
Marcus groaned as he clutched his head.  "Jesus, what happened?  Everyone still alive?," he asks looking around and assessing the state of the other passengers.

Spoiler: Actions • show

If/when Marcus sees that Elsie is down, he'll move to help her with first aid / drugs.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 25, 2011, 09:23:02 AM
Yanked roughly backed to consciousness through her latest task of being her copilot's LZ, Alice cursed loudly, barely resisting the reflex to jam her elbow into Emily.  Groaning softly, she lifted her battered right arm and wipe blood from her eyes as she tried to look back into the cabin.  "Anyone extra not ok?"

[spoiler]Buckle up for safety folks.
Alice: 11 collision damage - that's 22 halved as she was explicitly strapped in (WP 5/13, VP 0/27, fatigued; missed the save DC by 11)
Between being shot repeatedly and beaten about in the crash, Alice's clothes have seen better days, and she's bloody pretty much everywhere.  Today is going to leave a few marks.

Did the vertibird just have headsets, or did we find a couple of the cool fighter helmets with headsets and visors?
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Antilles on August 25, 2011, 09:55:32 AM
When he comes to, Franklin is lying upside down against the roof/side of the vertibird. This being a very uncomfortable position to be in, he weakly pushes himself off the roof, and falls down to the side with a thud. As he works enough feeling into his joints to get himself upright, he half grunts a reply Emily. "Ergh... 'm fine. Let's not do that again, yeah?"

When he's mostly upright again, he helps the others unbuckle and unload as best he can.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 25, 2011, 08:04:16 PM
Hondo is half buried in rubble outside the vertibird, thrown out the open hatch in the crash. He slowly rises, dirt and debris sloughing away as he straightens. He takes a moment to realize that we're on the ground, and then throws his head back with a whoop.

"Yeah, mang! We alive! Fuck yeah! Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!" He kicks at debris as part of his impromptu victory dance. "Enclave ain't got nothin'! Shit all blowed up, ship crashed, no big-ass gun killin' shit. Yeah! Fuck yeah!"

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on August 26, 2011, 09:12:24 AM
As Hondo celebrates the fall of the Enclave stronghold, that's when he realises that something is amiss. It could be the walls on either side of him, boxing in the vertibird, or it could be the partially-demolished ceiling overhead. Then again, it could be the sheer drop that the vertibird's ass is precariously hanging over. It appears that the vertibird skipped off the roff of the building across the street, and came to a halt when it ploughed into this one. Concrete dust shrouds everything, and Hondo looks like some kind of corn-fed ghost.

Tiny pieces of rubble patter off the crippled aircraft, and as the survivors inside begin to move, the vertibird moves - ever so slightly - backwards. Toward the edge of the building, and a fifty foot drop to ground level. It doesn't look like it's going to stop. In fact it's actually starting to slide...


Spoiler: show

Yeah, I figure three rounds is me being generous before the vertibird plummets to ground level.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: MilitiaJim on August 26, 2011, 09:28:20 AM
She noticed the room around them shifting, moving away.  "Fuuuuuuuuuuck," Alice muttered.  "She's falling out of the building!  Buckle up or Get OUT!"

Spoiler: show
How long is the vertibird?  Aren't they around 30 feet/10 meters long?  Fifth story is pretty survivable if you're buckled in and we go straight tail down...
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Gentry on August 29, 2011, 03:43:54 PM
"Shit!" exclaims Hondo, as the vertibird begins it's slide. "Everybody get the fuck out!"

Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: Bill Whitmore on August 29, 2011, 05:53:30 PM
Heedless of the danger to himself, Marcus begins dumping all of the unconscious bodies out of the Vertibird.
Title: Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
Post by: glimmerrat on September 03, 2011, 05:56:57 AM
As Marcus begins hauling the unconscious passengers toward the exit hatch on the ceiling, outside the vertibird in the ruined building Hondo grabs the ass-end of the crippled aircraft with both hands. He sets his feet shoulder-width apart, and with a grunt of exertion he heaves, pulling back and down as he put his considerable body-mass behind it.

As the first batch of civilians climb up and out (including the two children that you've been looking for), the craft creaks ominously. Marcus begins handing the KO'd people up to Frank who has managed to perch on top of the vertibird in a standing position, astride the door. After passing Elsie and the Captian up and out, Frank momentarily loses his balance as the edge of the building shears away, tilting the front end of the aircraft with it.

With thier view pitched down toward street level, Emily and Alice decide that discretion is the better part of valor and quickly climbed aft, heading for the exit. Hondo is joined at the tail section by everyone else who can stand, and they all pile in, grabbing hand-holds and pulling as hard as they can. As the vertibird finally goes over the edge, Alice is the last one out. She runs along the hull of the sliding craft, jumping at the last second and just (and I mean JUST) grabbing the crumbling edge of the building. She slips and falls several feet, grabbing a bundle of inert electrical cables and finally halting her fall.

It seems that you're all looking out of a big, vertibird-shaped hole in the side of building... somewhere. You have no idea where you are. The street outside is shrouded in falling dust that looks more like snow than fragments of buildings, and it sticks to your sweaty skin where it is exposed to the air. After a brief look around you at least manage to find the stairs.

A nearby street sign (http://emilybains.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hoboken-070308.jpg?w=240&h=138) gives a clue as to where you landed. Little Joey sums it up most succinctly:
"Hoboken? Where the fuck is Hoboken?!" Looks like its gonna be a long walk back...

MISSION ENDS
Spoiler: show

REWARDS
XP: Up your total to 12,000 - I want to put you all at level 4.

Reputation: 10

Caps: 200, split 5 ways (40 each)

Ok, mission over. Yes, we'll assume that you make it back with relative ease. Hoboken is only just across the Hudson Swamp from Ny City, and you're travelling in a large, relatively well-armed group. We'll assume that you manage to find passage via boat, rather than taking the Holland Tunnel. That would be an adventure in and of itself.

Please direct all further conversation to the OOC thread. Well done folks.